The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Modern Languages (Triple)

Hi, I'm looking for some help with languages at ST Andrews.
I'm doing AS French and German, and will do A2 in both before applying. I know that it is possible to do a degree with French, German and Spanish.
I would be doing Spanish as a complete beginner - not even GCSE!

If I apply for just fren and ger, but do Spanish as my 3rd subject, can I keep all three and have an honours degree in them all at the end?

Or do I have to apply for the triple degree?

Sorry if that was extremely complicated!

Thanks
Reply 1
I know very little about this but doing a language at degree level if you've never studied it before (even with a related language like French) sounds like too much hassle and setting yourself up to fail.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by sabian92
I know very little about this but doing a language at degree level if you've never studied it before (even with a related language like French) sounds like too much hassle and setting yourself up to fail.

:lolwut: Got to say, you clearly don't know very much about this (sorry if you were being sarcastic). Many students successfully pick up a language from scratch at uni, without much hassle at all. Most students taking up languages such as Arabic, Mandarin and Japanese go through ab initio streams for instance. Spanish is probably the easiest language with which to do this too, and definitely shouldn't be too much for the OP to handle.

OP, to answer your question: if you do enough credits in Spanish in your first year, and St Andys offer triple modern languages degrees, you shouldn't encounter problems switching to that (best asking the department to make sure though).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jcm222
Hi, I'm looking for some help with languages at ST Andrews.
I'm doing AS French and German, and will do A2 in both before applying. I know that it is possible to do a degree with French, German and Spanish.
I would be doing Spanish as a complete beginner - not even GCSE!

If I apply for just fren and ger, but do Spanish as my 3rd subject, can I keep all three and have an honours degree in them all at the end?

Or do I have to apply for the triple degree?

Sorry if that was extremely complicated!

Thanks

I'm in the same position as you (but in the Scottish system) - I've done French and German before and am looking to pick up Spanish. It's perfectly possible - the only thing they don't recommend is doing two languages from scratch. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending