The Student Room Group

Can't decide between UCL and Leeds...

Poll

UCL or Leeds?

I've applied for Chemical Engineering, but I cannot choose between UCL and Leeds. From visiting both uni's on open/applicant days, I got the impression that Leeds has a better course, more suited to graduates who want to go into Chemical Engineering, geographically close to the industry therefore better job prospects etc. and according the the league tables it is 3rd whereas UCL is 13th. I also liked the atmosphere/social side of things - it seemed like the union was buzzing and I liked the overall campus feel.
By this it probably seems like Leeds is the choice for me as it ticks basically all of the boxes, but back when I was deciding what I wanted to do and picking uni's, I had my heart set on UCL and didn't want to go anywhere else. I loved the location, the course involves study abroad as part of the course which Leeds doesn't, and it just has that vibe that London has. Also for some reason I think I would feel more at comfortable at UCL than Leeds. (I don't particularly live near either but I just got that feeling when I was there). The only downsides are that the course doesn't seem to be as good (I'd love to get insight from someone who actually goes there) and it seems that because its UCL, a lot of students are interested in diverting into finance rather than sticking to Chemical Engineering which I have mixed feelings about.

Even though Leeds ticks all the boxes I looked for when picking a uni, its just not UCL, even though for Chem eng it is better. However I would hate it if I went to London and wasn't engaged by the course and started to regret not picking Leeds, as after all the priority should be the course.
Do you think I should go with my gut instinct and pick UCL as it feels right, or Leeds because the course/prospects are better, which is considerably important when picking a relatively vocational degree like Chemical Engineering? In terms of grades they're both AAA, but Leeds said if I firmed them they could let me in on AAB, which means I could firm it and insure UCL so I can make my mind up later, but I doubt this would happen as the course is getting very popular.

I've included a poll for the lols
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lollage123
I've applied for Chemical Engineering, but I cannot choose between UCL and Leeds. From visiting both uni's on open/applicant days, I got the impression that Leeds has a better course, more suited to graduates who want to go into Chemical Engineering, geographically close to the industry therefore better job prospects etc. and according the the league tables it is 3rd whereas UCL is 13th. I also liked the atmosphere/social side of things - it seemed like the union was buzzing and I liked the overall campus feel.
By this it probably seems like Leeds is the choice for me as it ticks basically all of the boxes, but back when I was deciding what I wanted to do and picking uni's, I had my heart set on UCL and didn't want to go anywhere else. I loved the location, the course involves study abroad as part of the course which Leeds doesn't, and it just has that vibe that London has. Also for some reason I think I would feel more at comfortable at UCL than Leeds. (I don't particularly live near either but I just got that feeling when I was there). The only downsides are that the course doesn't seem to be as good (I'd love to get insight from someone who actually goes there) and it seems that because its UCL, a lot of students are interested in diverting into finance rather than sticking to Chemical Engineering which I have mixed feelings about.

Even though Leeds ticks all the boxes I looked for when picking a uni, its just not UCL, even though for Chem eng it is better. However I would hate it if I went to London and wasn't engaged by the course and started to regret not picking Leeds, as after all the priority should be the course.
Do you think I should go with my gut instinct and pick UCL as it feels right, or Leeds because the course/prospects are better, which is considerably important when picking a relatively vocational degree like Chemical Engineering? In terms of grades they're both AAA, but Leeds said if I firmed them they could let me in on AAB, which means I could firm it and insure UCL so I can make my mind up later, but I doubt this would happen as the course is getting very popular.

I've included a poll for the lols

That's a real tough one. I was battling over 3 uni's at one point but then when i went to visit them all it ended up being a rather easy choice. Having read what you said, and the fact that I was able to relate to a lot of it, i'll say to you this: really think about whether it is a career in chemical engineering that you want - if it is then it would appear that Leeds is best. If you want to have a few more doors open in terms of working in the city then UCL is the obvious choice. But where can you see yourself living for the next 3/4 years? London is a great and diverse place but at the same time the social life in Leeds is (from what i've heard) 2nd to none and it is also a beautiful city in its own right.

I don't envy your choice, but you're doing the right thing by asking for as much advice as possible. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by kingm
That's a real tough one. I was battling over 3 uni's at one point but then when i went to visit them all it ended up being a rather easy choice. Having read what you said, and the fact that I was able to relate to a lot of it, i'll say to you this: really think about whether it is a career in chemical engineering that you want - if it is then it would appear that Leeds is best. If you want to have a few more doors open in terms of working in the city then UCL is the obvious choice. But where can you see yourself living for the next 3/4 years? London is a great and diverse place but at the same time the social life in Leeds is (from what i've heard) 2nd to none and it is also a beautiful city in its own right.

I don't envy your choice, but you're doing the right thing by asking for as much advice as possible. Good luck.

I would probably want to go into Chemical Engineering afterwards, but its hard to say now - speaking to some UCL 2nd years on the applicant day and a few of them didn't want to pursue chemical engineering and wanted to divert into other profession.
I'll say that I have no real set path or career I want to follow, but considering I've put myself down for the masters at both, and at this point in year 13 from what research I have done on the subject, I think a career in it could be for me. However from what I've seen, major Chemical Engineering graduate employers are in the north away from cities, and I would really love to live in a big city (apparently plants and such aren't really designated in cities for obvious reasons). I also think I would enjoy living in London more than Leeds. I feel that UCL would be the better place for the university experience ie. not taking a job at the end into account, but in terms of setting up a future career in the industry, Leeds is the way to go. Its like I've got 2 mental pieces of paper, one with the pros and cons of Leeds, the other with the pros and cons of UCL... UCL has the pros of better location (imo), would feel more comfortable there, its what I initially had my heart set on... etc. but cons of a less better course, probably more likely to divert from chem eng... Leeds has the advantages of the industry stuff, better course, basically more important pros, but the only con I have is that it is not UCL.
What unis did you choose between and how/why did you decide what you chose?

Also, does anybody know about UCL industry links/graduate job prospects?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Any other opinions?
Reply 4
bump. still can't decide :frown:
Reply 5
It's an obvious choice you have to make, and it has been mentioned before. I would only go to UCL if I wanted to get into IB. UCL has never been known for its engineering, and therefore if you are looking at student life, city, and course structure then definitely choose Leeds.

Quick Reply

Latest