The Student Room Group

Student finance- My family live abroad

Hello

I'm currently in the process of applying for student finance; maintenance grant to be precise. I have lived in the UK all my life (which obviously includes the three years prior to starting my course). That isn't the problem.

The problem is my mum moved to Kenya in 2008 (long irrelevant story). I however stayed here with my older sister to finish school and only went there for holidays.

Now the form asks has my parent/ guardian lived outside the EU in the last three years and the answer to that is obviously yes.

My question therefore is how will this affect my student finance entitlement. Also something relevant to note; my father passed away when i was two, so i'm only talking about my mum right now, she hasn't remarried either. I could prove my mums income (she owns a small retail store in Nairobi) of earnings less that £25,000 a year.

Can i still get a maintenance grant with this.

Any answer(s) will be greatly appreciated.

Thank- you in advance

:smile:
Reply 1
Hi! You will definitely get a grant, how much will depend on your mothers exact income.

If she earns under 25000 you will get a maximum of £2900 grant
If she earns over 25000 you will get a lower partial grant.

P.s it doesn't matter if your mum is in Kenya as long as you have British Citizenship... But you will have to prove her income if she is still your guardian.
Reply 2
Original post by Gmlogmd
Hi! You will definitely get a grant, how much will depend on your mothers exact income.

If she earns under 25000 you will get a maximum of £2900 grant
If she earns over 25000 you will get a lower partial grant.

P.s it doesn't matter if your mum is in Kenya as long as you have British Citizenship... But you will have to prove her income if she is still your guardian.

Thanks you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending