The Student Room Group

Using chemical state symbols

I always thought if the acid was concentrated you write (l) and if it's dilute or whatever you write aqueous (because that means 'dissolved in water' right?

but when we were writing a chemical equation for an acid-base reaction in school, my teacher wrote concentrated sulphuric acid as H2SO4 (aq) not H2SO4 (l)??

so I was wondering whether this was a mistake by my teacher or whether you actually write concentrated acids as (aq)?

thank you! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Most acids are actually gaseous in their pure form - for example, Hydrogen chloride is actually a gas and not acidic in this state. They become acidic when they dissolve in water and the Hydrogen ions can dissociate. If you have a concentrated acid in the laboratory, it must be dissolved in at least some water in order to be an acid.

So no, it's not a mistake :smile: I understand your confusion though!
Reply 2
Original post by Qaisha
Most acids are actually gaseous in their pure form - for example, Hydrogen chloride is actually a gas and not acidic in this state. They become acidic when they dissolve in water and the Hydrogen ions can dissociate. If you have a concentrated acid in the laboratory, it must be dissolved in at least some water in order to be an acid.

So no, it's not a mistake :smile: I understand your confusion though!

thank you! it makes a lot more sense now :smile: so if I write H2SO4 (l) would it be wrong? or is it still acceptable to do so?
Reply 3
It is acceptable to write sulfuric acid in liquid form if it actually is - if it is the 98% concentrated fuming form of sulfuric acid (also known as 18mol/dm3) - the stuff that is surprisingly heavy to lift!

In the context of most acid-base reactions, you would write H2SO4 as an aqueous solution. It may be worth having a hunt through exam paper mark schemes on your syllabus to double check.
Reply 4
Original post by Qaisha
It is acceptable to write sulfuric acid in liquid form if it actually is - if it is the 98% concentrated fuming form of sulfuric acid (also known as 18mol/dm3) - the stuff that is surprisingly heavy to lift!

In the context of most acid-base reactions, you would write H2SO4 as an aqueous solution. It may be worth having a hunt through exam paper mark schemes on your syllabus to double check.

thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest