Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philippamalko)
    I went full time in what was my weekend job at a garden centre when I finished school then worked for Royal Mail over christmas and now work for Direct Line Group haha. Everyone seems to be healthcare assistants or something and I wondered if I was the only one, but for £9+ an hour at my job now I think I'd rather be doing that than HCA for a lot less :')
    'A lot less'... You should check my wage packet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugby1)
    'A lot less'... You should check my wage packet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you must live in an area with better waged HCAs than mine haha sorry I was just meaning for myself
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    have any reapplicants got 'normal' jobs like not healthcare related for their gap year?
    A friend of mine works at specsavers. Another decided to work as a teaching assistant. It doesn't really matter if you decide to work at A and E or Mcdonalds, it's the reflection upon you experience that counts!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    have any reapplicants got 'normal' jobs like not healthcare related for their gap year?
    I do it's my 3rd ucas last year I did full time at kfc and part time behind a bar, this year I'm a lab technician in food microbiology and still behind the bar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    A friend of mine works at specsavers. Another decided to work as a teaching assistant. It doesn't really matter if you decide to work at A and E or Mcdonalds, it's the reflection upon you experience that counts!
    'Whilst working at McDo I served a huge variety of clientele, all coming from different backgrounds and many of whom were less financially secure than myself. This helped me to appreciate the role preventative medicine plays in our community; education in healthy eating is vital to minimise the sizeable(lol) impact weight related medical conditions has on our hospitals and health care budget. I was able to improve my formal communication skills with service users as well as adapt to get to know my co workers well in the workplace.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    'Whilst working at McDo I served a huge variety of clientele, all coming from different backgrounds and many of whom were less financially secure than myself. This helped me to appreciate the role preventative medicine plays in our community; education in healthy eating is vital to minimise the sizeable(lol) impact obesity has on our hospitals and health care budget. I was able to improve my formal communication skills with service users as well as adapt to get to know my co workers well in the workplace.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sophisticated bs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    'Whilst working at McDo I served a huge variety of clientele, all coming from different backgrounds and many of whom were less financially secure than myself. This helped me to appreciate the role preventative medicine plays in our community; education in healthy eating is vital to minimise the sizeable(lol) impact weight related medical conditions has on our hospitals and health care budget. I was able to improve my formal communication skills with service users as well as adapt to get to know my co workers well in the workplace.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Goodness! :lol: I can only imagine the face of admissions if they were to read this.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am so desperate to do this for a final term... was it in a primary school?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    I am so desperate to do this for a final term... was it in a primary school?
    It was indeed.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was indeed.
    Any NVQ or anything like that? Was the interview difficult? Did they have previous child care exp?

Excuse all the questions I would just kill to swap positions right now :")
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I have an interview for a clinical support worker post and was wondering if anyone has any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from Southampton! This gap year was totally worth it
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obaidiio)
    Congrats !!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Odd question: did they have a UKCAT cut off?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congrats!!!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aww well done!!! :woo: So happy for you
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure these links will be getting super annoying but i'm ridiculously excited - guardian are doing a medical school special!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple and gold)
    Congrats !!
    Thank youuu!!

Odd question: did they have a UKCAT cut off?
    I'm not sure whether or not they had a definite cut off. They interviewed students in order of their UKCAT scores. I'm not sure what the lowest UKCAT score was that made the list for the interview. I had my interview on the 28th and my UKCAT average is 742.5- there were two more interview dates after mine so I'm guessing those UKCAT scores were around the 710 mark at the least!

(Original post by minhle20)
    Congrats!!!
    Thankssss!! XD

(Original post by Joannywhite)
    Aww well done!!! :woo: So happy for you
    Thank you Joan! It's such a huge relief- I didn't think they would reply so quickly! I mean, I have been waiting almost two months for Kings.
    I'm glad I can withdraw my St Georges Biomed application, lol. Have you heard back from any of your unis yet??
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Currently got my eye on the back door of HCA work. Applied to a couple of Teaching Assistant posts and a couple of admin posts...anyone else doing the same thing?

Also has anyone else given any thought as to whether they plan on keeping / finding a new job during pre-clinical years near uni?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Currently got my eye on the back door of HCA work. Applied to a couple of Teaching Assistant posts and a couple of admin posts...anyone else doing the same thing?

Also has anyone else given any thought as to whether they plan on keeping / finding a new job during pre-clinical years near uni?
    I don't plan on having a job through uni hopefully ill have earned enough this year to make that possible as I'd rather focus on uni and actually having a social life since this year has been so full on with work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.