The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3900
Original post by ameelia22
Currently got my eye on the back door of HCA work. Applied to a couple of Teaching Assistant posts and a couple of admin posts...anyone else doing the same thing?

Also has anyone else given any thought as to whether they plan on keeping / finding a new job during pre-clinical years near uni?

5 more shifts for me!! I will be joining the bank of the closest hospital to whichever uni I choose and then work Friday nights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by panjabiflower
Yeah i guess so :smile: was the decision from sheffield post interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah it was pre-interview. :smile:
Original post by Joannywhite
Nah it was pre-interview. :smile:

Ah okay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If u get offers from both SGUL and the other uni, which would u choose?
If u get offers from both SGUL and the other uni, which would u choose?

I haven't thought that far ahead yet... I'll be lucky to have any offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also has anyone else given any thought as to whether they plan on keeping / finding a new job during pre-clinical years near uni?

Ew. Ain't nobody got time fo' that.
I haven't thought that far ahead yet... I'll be lucky to have any offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah kk then. Well all the best to us then :biggrin:
Original post by Hugby1
5 more shifts for me!! I will be joining the bank of the closest hospital to whichever uni I choose and then work Friday nights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh lucky you!! That sounds like quite a decent plan if you can hack the nights. Are you concerned at all as to how bank staff get treated compared to permanent staff?
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Ew. Ain't nobody got time fo' that.

With only 6 hours of lectures / week at manchester I'm a little concerned I may have too much time :P

With only 6 hours of lectures / week at manchester I'm a little concerned I may have too much time :P

What do they fill the timetable with?!?
Original post by TattyBoJangles
What do they fill the timetable with?!?

Tell me what this stuff means :frown:

919078_10201288678360309_334589938_o.jpg
Reply 3910
Oh lucky you!! That sounds like quite a decent plan if you can hack the nights. Are you concerned at all as to how bank staff get treated compared to permanent staff?
P

Meh. I can stick up for myself. If it's horrific I'll just hide in the toilets... simples.
Original post by Hugby1
Meh. I can stick up for myself. If it's horrific I'll just hide in the toilets... simples.

Benefits of being bank is that you don't need to give a **** what people say. Secondly you'll be working nightshifts so can hide away in ward hideouts for most of the shift as all the patients should be asleep.

I really do love nightshifts, patients are asleep, no relatives giving you bs, can sit on your arse for most of the shift, no washes. Perfect.
Tell me what this stuff means :frown:

919078_10201288678360309_334589938_o.jpg

Ah forgot Manchester was PBL :tongue: I see a few of those sessions in there, plus a few practicals.
They'll keep you busy enough (;
Original post by Richyp22
Benefits of being bank is that you don't need to give a **** what people say. Secondly you'll be working nightshifts so can hide away in ward hideouts for most of the shift as all the patients should be asleep.

I really do love nightshifts, patients are asleep, no relatives giving you bs, can sit on your arse for most of the shift, no washes. Perfect.

That's where i'm the complete opposite. I like to be friendly with other staff so that there isn't any tension and it's easier on me. Patient washes make time go much faster and I love the satisfaction of saying these are the guys i'll be looking after and by such and such time they will all be sitting out, freshly shaven and looking good. Even if they do tip their lunch on themselves an hour later. And i find the relatives even better than the patients!! Even if the patient is an *********, because let's face it some of them are - the relatives are understanding, encouraging and also want a bit of a chit chat. If they feel like the nurse looking after them is nice and can have a bit of banter with them they're so much more at ease. AND think of the chocolate box they leave you when they're discharged.
Reply 3914
I finally got that rejection from Aberdeen and i got an amended offer for biomed from Sheffield. So right now SGUL is my last hope. U gonna firm the Southampton offer then or u gonna wait for Kings?

Ahhh man,I hope St Georges get back to the waiting listers soon with good news- then you can decline the biomed offer! I think I'm going to wait and see what Kings say, they shouldn't take much longer to reply... i hope :/ Southampton is pretty much my only option so i'll probably be firming that soon
Reply 3915
Christ, it really does infuriate me the outlook of some of these young applicants who sound like such arrogant spoiled ignorant brats. :mad: (I mean one applicant in particular, not going to name them).

Excuse the anger, check out the 2014 Medicine rejection thread to see what I mean.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2523354&page=13&x=0&y=0
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Obaidiio
Ahhh man,I hope St Georges get back to the waiting listers soon with good news- then you can decline the biomed offer! I think I'm going to wait and see what Kings say, they shouldn't take much longer to reply... i hope :/ Southampton is pretty much my only option so i'll probably be firming that soon

Yeah i hope so too. :smile:
Oh i see. That's great. At least u got an offer so all ur worries are over :biggrin:
Original post by PG593
Christ, it really does infuriate me the outlook of some of these young applicants who sound like such arrogant spoiled ignorant brats. :mad: (I mean one applicant in particular, not going to name them).

Excuse the anger, check out the 2014 Medicine rejection thread to see what I mean.

Haha OMG i know who you are talking about :yep: Apparently that user had a similar argument with someone else some time ago in the Aberdeen Medicine thread. I don't want to judge but sometimes i do wonder what kind of doctors people like that will make. Some of their views toward the whole situation is shocking.
Original post by PG593

Just ignore them.
They will learn once they become re-applicants.
If they get in the first time then the medical schools will probably sort them out. (I hope).
Original post by XingBairong
Just ignore them.
They will learn once they become re-applicants.
If they get in the first time then the medical schools will probably sort them out. (I hope).

A metaphorical (or literal) slap to the face should sort them out....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest