The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi everyone!

Got my four rejections from Sheffield, Edinburgh, Oxford and Newcastle (only interview) and am planning to reapply in 2014.

As far as gap year plans I'm hoping to get a job in a medical setting (HCA, porter etc) but am now realizing how hard these are to come by. Anyone who reapplied this year, when should I start applying for jobs if I want to start in September? And ideally I only want to work up until February/March time so should I mention this before hand? (moral dilemma as I know it would disadvantage my application :tongue:)

I also recently went to an interview to volunteer at a summer camp for seriously ill children called over the wall. It was such an amazing day and would 100% recommend anyone to check the charity out (fingers crossed I get in!).
There's also a government thing called international civil service or ICS which looks amazing that I'm hoping to apply for.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by kapaaw
Hi everyone!

Got my four rejections from Sheffield, Edinburgh, Oxford and Newcastle (only interview) and am planning to reapply in 2014.

As far as gap year plans I'm hoping to get a job in a medical setting (HCA, porter etc) but am now realizing how hard these are to come by. Anyone who reapplied this year, when should I start applying for jobs if I want to start in September? And ideally I only want to work up until February/March time so should I mention this before hand? (moral dilemma as I know it would disadvantage my application :tongue:)

I also recently went to an interview to volunteer at a summer camp for seriously ill children called over the wall. It was such an amazing day and would 100% recommend anyone to check the charity out (fingers crossed I get in!).
There's also a government thing called international civil service or ICS which looks amazing that I'm hoping to apply for.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Gutted - those are 4 very very competitive medical schools, with extremely high selection criteria in one way or another.

Although I haven't already reapplied, from what I've read on last years' thread, some did start applying for jobs during Easter others didn't get round to it till summer holidays / post results. I'm just keeping an eye on any opportunities that arise atm, and applying to any that I'd really like - i'm comfortable in the sense that, it's not too urgent that I need the job and still have some time leeway.

The summer camp sounds really good. I myself have been looking at getting a summer job at a residential summer school thing that internationals come for. It means I'd get nicely paid, and get a bit of time out from home, but I can imagine it being exhausting, and not worth the payment. Still, need to do some research on that though. Take a look yourself.

Is anyone else thinking of going abroad?
Original post by kimsiclez

When applying I based my 'additional information' on their desirable/essential criteria. Would you suggest that is the way to go or should it read more like a CV/covering lettering? I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks anyway but thank you for your help!

Original post by ameelia22
Seconded!

Basically on my form, for my additional information, I started with a bit of written text about how the voluntary work I'd done before (as this was my first job ever) had given me skills that I could transfer to this job. So that took about a couple of sentences. After this I just copied and pasted my "achievements and skills" section from my CV into this. That was it.
However despite this I still attached my CV and a covering letter AS WELL AS THIS. It won't do you any harm I don't think. Hope this helps!
Original post by Toppy
I'm happy to try to answer questions by the way!

I'm going to Southampton in September after the gap year I'm taking this year.

I had 4 rejections last year and also managed to cock up my A Levels by getting A*AB (these are the most irritating grades to get. Over-performing in one and losing out on the other don't cancel each other out apart from at Keele.) So I was a reapplicant AND a resitter. I resat my B in the January session and put it up to an A - meeting my conditional offer.

So far during my gap year I've volunteered at a care home and I now work as a HCA at a local outpatients department.

Well done soton is an awsome med school. I got A*AA, but my A in physics was 2 ums from a B, so I know how you feel. Yes it seems keele aee the only ones who acceppt A*AA, I think more unis should accept thoss grades, surely an A* should make up for a B, as long as the is not in chem
Reply 24
Original post by lucky20
Well done soton is an awsome med school. I got A*AA, but my A in physics was 2 ums from a B, so I know how you feel. Yes it seems keele aee the only ones who acceppt A*AA, I think more unis should accept thoss grades, surely an A* should make up for a B, as long as the is not in chem

Agreed. I was actually 1 UMS off of the A grade so it was very annoying.
Original post by Toppy

Ohh. Missed it by a miniscule amount then. Wat subject:s-smilie:
Original post by Toppy

Oh good god. My heart really goes out to you.

Original post by Nandos94
Basically on my form, for my additional information, I started with a bit of written text about how the voluntary work I'd done before (as this was my first job ever) had given me skills that I could transfer to this job. So that took about a couple of sentences. After this I just copied and pasted my "achievements and skills" section from my CV into this. That was it.
However despite this I still attached my CV and a covering letter AS WELL AS THIS. It won't do you any harm I don't think. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Reply 27
Original post by lucky20
Ohh. Missed it by a miniscule amount then. Wat subject:s-smilie:

Geography. I know.
Never thought I'd see myself on this thread. :frown: Awell, this has just given me more determination than ever.

I applied for QUB, Liverpool, Glasgow, and Dundee.

Had 3 interviews, all followed by a rejection. (Don't know WHAT the hell happened)

Plan on playing more to my strengths next year. My strength is academics so thinking about leeds, birmingham, cambridge and QUB as possible choices (too early yet)

Will have to take a gap year. Thinking about getting a job as a HCA, volunteering with SJA or in a care home, running a marathon, reading 100 books etc etc.

Will have to get more work experience over the summer.

Glad I'm not the only one who is in this position.

Edit: I really don't understand why this was negged. It was a relatively (in fact completely) neutral post.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Hello !! I'm so glad this thread was finally created, I got all 4 rejections without interveiw at the beginning of February so I literally felt like the only one :frown:
I applied to BSMS , Notts , Soton and exeter and was really upset to get 4 rejections as my tutor had said I was basically guaranteed an least an interveiw ... oh well **** happens and
you just have to move on and make your application even better!
For all those who have just recently got your 4th rejection the horrible feelings eventually go away, I generally thought I was going to cry everyday for about a year but after 2 weeks I realised how much I could learn and enjoy my gap year and now I'm secrety pleased that I have been forced to take one :smile:
Lets hope this time next year we can all be celebrating with unconditionals !!
Original post by awilson008
Never thought I'd see myself on this thread. :frown: Awell, this has just given me more determination than ever.

I applied for QUB, Liverpool, Glasgow, and Dundee.

Had 3 interviews, all followed by a rejection. (Don't know WHAT the hell happened)

Plan on playing more to my strengths next year. My strength is academics so thinking about leeds, birmingham, cambridge and QUB as possible choices (too early yet)

Will have to take a gap year. Thinking about getting a job as a HCA, volunteering with SJA or in a care home, running a marathon, reading 100 books etc etc.

Will have to get more work experience over the summer.

Glad I'm not the only one who is in this position.

If you take a look at last years reapplicant thread, it'll honestly make you feel so much better about it all. I don't think anyone really anticipated it turning out this way - but I personally think that once my grades are in hand, I will quite possibly have the best undergrad application I could ever have made.

Original post by Bumble333
Hello !! I'm so glad this thread was finally created, I got all 4 rejections without interveiw at the beginning of February so I literally felt like the only one :frown:
I applied to BSMS , Notts , Soton and exeter and was really upset to get 4 rejections as my tutor had said I was basically guaranteed an least an interveiw ... oh well **** happens and
you just have to move on and make your application even better!
For all those who have just recently got your 4th rejection the horrible feelings eventually go away, I generally thought I was going to cry everyday for about a year but after 2 weeks I realised how much I could learn and enjoy my gap year and now I'm secrety pleased that I have been forced to take one :smile:
Lets hope this time next year we can all be celebrating with unconditionals !!

Glad there are a few of us on this thread to share gap year experiences with. Reminding myself that I could get an unconditional offer makes it all worth it for me!
Reply 31
Hi, I was a re-applicant this year and now have 2 offers, waiting to hear from my 2 others post-interview, and just thought I'd post in hear what I posted in other threads and PMs. Sorry for the length!:biggrin:

"Thats bad luck about the rejection. Do you have any other offers? If not, I was in the same position last year, it seems like the end of the world, but the only thing you can do now is make sure you get the grades, then next year you won't have to worry about resits and you'll be less of a risk to the unis. Also you can prepare more for the UKCAT, using Medify I improved my average by over 100, which gave me more options in terms of which unis I could apply to. If you get a good UKCAT, apply to at least one uni which you are above the cut-off, take advantage of getting a good score! Also apply to unis which use your strengths, last year I was a bit naive in who I applied to, this year I really thought about it. And finally with more experience you'll feel more confident with your PS; I look at mine from last year and can't believe the difference this year. It may feel it now, but a gap year is not the end of the world and you might even see it as beneficial Keep trying, if you really want it you'll get it!"

"Hi,

I really sympathise with your situation! If you are determined to be a doctor then definately apply again. I know you must be feeling down but you improved this year from last year so you can do it again. With regards to the UKCAT is a completely pointless exam and there is no evidence to prove that those who get the highest scores do better in med schools or make better doctors. I would agree with you to do it early. You can start it in July-I did mine at the end of September. With Medify I used it for a month-it cost £25 but there were over 1000 practise questions and answers plus a full mock exam and a diary to record your progress. I found that I got higher on my weaker areas (AR & QR) even though on Medify I only improved slightly, but didn't improve much on my best areas, but my average still improved by over a 100, and I guess the weaker areas are where there is largest room for improvement! Also I typed in on google to get help sheets and general tips. With AR, have already in your mind patterns to look for e.g. number, pattern etc. Also certain shapes have a tendency to display certain patterns, for example arrows are usually something to do with direction, although this isn't always the case! With QR, a lot is guess work, the only bit of advice is to practise estimating and eliminating answers you know can't possibly be correct. Lastly practise timing from the start-as this is probably the hardest part of the whole test!
VR-30secs per question/2mins per article
AR-30secs per question/2.5mins per data set
AR-12secs per shape/1min per set
DA-1min per question I think

Remember though, rather than time per question, keep an eye on the general time so if are running out of time you can start guessing. Remember to answer every question! And also you'll will do some quicker than the time, some slower, its just an average. My average wasn't out of this world-677.5-there are loads more people on TSR who have higher scores who could help you even more, this is just my advice.

I agree with being naive with choices-I can't believe the places I applied to last year, it definately harmed my application.

With regards to work experience-try and get a variety so you can say what you learnt from it. The caring work experience is vital, make sure you have this long term! It is not about the quantity-as much as the fact you don't the characters in your PS to explain loads-its the quality. Its not about describing in your PS-you have to be reflective about your work experience and hobbies. What did you learn? What skills did you learn? How does this apply to medicine? How did it enforce your motivation for medicine? Also look on the med schools websites-some have certain points that they want you to get into their PS-so tweak it to match the unis list.

In terms of preparation, the majority use MMIs so it is harder to prepare. However think of all the qualities in a doctor-list them and then write down how you would demonstrate that you've devloped your qualities, whether through work expereince or hobbies. Or write down your work experience and hobbies and what you would say about them. Write down your work experience and what you did and learnt and how it helped your motivation for medicine. Even though it is less relevant, you could get a copy of ISC "How to get into medical school" 150 questions. Look through them and write down general points for each them. Finally think of as many ethical dilemmas as you can and write down both sides of the argument before a summary. Read some news articles-I use the Guardian online, although I think with MMIs it is becoming less common that you'll be asked about the news. Read about the interviews for each uni you apply to. Just try and get across your passion for wanting to be a doctor. Practise being concise in your answers and whilst not sounding rehersed practise the type of things you would say about work experience/skills/hobbies.

Finally, I would definately get a job-you'll get money before uni, you can talk about the skills you have gained from it and finally it will give you something to do.

Don't give up hope-you still have a decision to come In terms of entering as a postgrad-you're right it is even harder to get into medicine than it is now! Plus you don't know at the end of 3 years whether you'll want to do another 5 years in uni, but that's just my personal opinion.

Good luck, keep your chin up and I hope this helps!"
Reply 32
Oh and another thing with regards to a job. I didn'[t have a job when I didm my PS and I got 4 interviews, and I haven't been able to bring it in to any of my interviews, but of course it's always handy! Plus it doesn't necessarily need to be a job in a hospital-it's not what you do but what you learnt from it, being refelctive about it. If you work on the tills at Tesco but can explain how you have improved your communication skills and how that will be useful in medicine, then the unis will be more impressed than someone who has a job at a hospital but only says what they do, and doesn't refelct on what they have learnt/gained:smile:
Original post by Nins94
Oh and another thing with regards to a job. I didn'[t have a job when I didm my PS and I got 4 interviews, and I haven't been able to bring it in to any of my interviews, but of course it's always handy! Plus it doesn't necessarily need to be a job in a hospital-it's not what you do but what you learnt from it, being refelctive about it. If you work on the tills at Tesco but can explain how you have improved your communication skills and how that will be useful in medicine, then the unis will be more impressed than someone who has a job at a hospital but only says what they do, and doesn't refelct on what they have learnt/gained:smile:

I'll second this. I only got my HCA job after I sent off my personal statement, so universities had no idea I had one. Yet I still got 4 interviews too. It's just a matter of being able to relate the skills you use in whatever job you may have, and state how it may help you in medicine.
Reply 34
Re-re-applicant, applied for 2010 and 2011 entry, now doing a degree and applying for 2014 entry, had interviews on my 2nd attempt, work experience has been my main downfall and UKCAT hasn't helped much, 670 last time.

Applying for GEMs now and with a lot more experience, looking to apply to warwick, southampton, Barts and either Newcastle or KCL
Reply 35
Original post by dmz
Re-re-applicant, applied for 2010 and 2011 entry, now doing a degree and applying for 2014 entry, had interviews on my 2nd attempt, work experience has been my main downfall and UKCAT hasn't helped much, 670 last time.

Applying for GEMs now and with a lot more experience, looking to apply to warwick, southampton, Barts and either Newcastle or KCL

Hello again! Very good luck. I hope your persistence is rewarded.
Reply 36
Original post by Nandos94
I'll second this. I only got my HCA job after I sent off my personal statement, so universities had no idea I had one. Yet I still got 4 interviews too. It's just a matter of being able to relate the skills you use in whatever job you may have, and state how it may help you in medicine.

Me too. Universities only knew of my intention to get a HCA job and I was never picked up on it in interviews. I had 2 interviews and one offer without interview from Southampton.
Reply 37
Original post by Mother2
Hello again! Very good luck. I hope your persistence is rewarded.

Hey! :biggrin: haha yea, i secretly want this master which would mean 2015 entry but i'm going all out for this one, even considering malta
Original post by dmz

Christ, that's determination right there. Certainly hope you make it, and look forward to seeing how your application rolls this year. Which degree are you doing?
Reply 39
Original post by ameelia22
Christ, that's determination right there. Certainly hope you make it, and look forward to seeing how your application rolls this year. Which degree are you doing?

Haha thanks, giving engineering a chance atm but pretty certain medicine is what I want to do. Thanks, you too :smile: are you a reapplicant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending