The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jessiek
Lol..that is so not true. Just the fact that A-levels, only 1% of the population gets an A, whereas last year for A-levels, didn't one in 4 people get an A? It is a known fact in Hong Kong that people study their butts off. Like for Alevels, it's normal to practice past papers from the past 20 years. I'm not saying that UK ppl aren't smart and hardworking, but the average HK student probably spends a lot more time studying.
A common example is my bf's brother. He studied in Hong Kong and for A-levels (HK) he got around a BCC. He was admitted into Imperial and for his 1st year, he was the top scholar in the Engineering department. The funny thing was that he studied less than he did for school in HK. This is same with a lot of HK students in UK that I talk to.
I'm not saying Oxbridge and such aren't good, but compared with ALOT of UK unis, the ones in HK as good if not better.

this is only true for subjects such as engineering. i doubt this is the case in subjects like history, philosophy, law etc... So HK unis are better than LSE, UCL, Imperial, Bristol etc?
Reply 41
jeffreyweingard
this is only true for subjects such as engineering. i doubt this is the case in subjects like history, philosophy, law etc... So HK unis are better than LSE, UCL, Imperial, Bristol etc?

It might not be true for subjects like history etc...but what is mostly true is that people who studied in HK before study better. What I mean is that they are more used to studying hard and for a long time for exams and such. In Hong Kong there is this culture of studying your butts off for everything because that is what most locals do. This reflects by the fact that companies that tutor A-levels etc...are virtually everywhere. There are so many ads in magazines, tv etc.. In one recent interview, a leading "tutor"at one of these institutions made around 10 million HKD a year. You can see the amount of tutees she has.
I think that just by reading/studying all the textbooks and readings in courses such as history, philosophy etc.. will give students an advantage over those who don't
I think it depends on individual universities and subjects when it comes to the question if HK unis are better than UK ones
As for CandyStrippa-- That's weird. You mean your friend lives in HK? U sure he doesn't pay oversea students fee? Cuz I am British but I have to pay the international student's fee
Reply 42
Of course this may not be the case in subjects like history and philosophy.

They are basically English subjects, which areased towards English speakers.
HK universities mainly operate in English, so students naturally encounter language difficulties.
yeung3939
Of course this may not be the case in subjects like history and philosophy.

They are basically English subjects, which areased towards English speakers.
HK universities mainly operate in English, so students naturally encounter language difficulties.

Am I right in thinking that English is the language of instruction at HK secondary schools? If so, students shouldn't encounter language difficulties.
Reply 44
I am in Hong Kong, currently. I am going to UCL. My sister went to Yale, and then took a year to study at HKU, she said the standard was not even cmparable, Yale was way better. However, the standard of HKU and CU is top 5 - 10 UK, definetly. Not Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, but definetly right below that.
Reply 45
Crazster
I am in Hong Kong, currently. I am going to UCL. My sister went to Yale, and then took a year to study at HKU, she said the standard was not even cmparable, Yale was way better. However, the standard of HKU and CU is top 5 - 10 UK, definetly. Not Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, but definetly right below that.

It depends in which subjects. For example, law maybe Oxbridge, LSE is better; however, if something maths related like Actuarial Science I beg to differ.
My bf reads Actuarial Science in LSE and he's doing a summer internship in HK now, in AIG, and last year, in Watson Wyatt (they are both someplace where people reading this subject might like to work in). He says that the Hong Kong students who are doing internships there have wayy better math skills and know more than what a UK student would learn. It figures, because what my friend learned in 1st year uni, was what he learned in high school back in Hong Kong. So it all depends on which subject we are talking about here. I wouldn't generalize that all subjects in Oxbridge, Lse, even Yale is better than HKU
Reply 46
I would say that at HKU, the best subjects to study is medicine and law. The rest, e.g. sciences, cannot compare with cambridge for example - but that's just my impression having stayed in hk for such a long time.
Reply 47
jeffreyweingard
Am I right in thinking that English is the language of instruction at HK secondary schools? If so, students shouldn't encounter language difficulties.

You can choose from:

- local school english - but the standard of english varies between schools

- local school cantonese

and in my case:

- international school english
Reply 48
jessiek
Lol..that is so not true. Just the fact that A-levels, only 1% of the population gets an A, whereas last year for A-levels, didn't one in 4 people get an A? It is a known fact in Hong Kong that people study their butts off. Like for Alevels, it's normal to practice past papers from the past 20 years. I'm not saying that UK ppl aren't smart and hardworking, but the average HK student probably spends a lot more time studying.
A common example is my bf's brother. He studied in Hong Kong and for A-levels (HK) he got around a BCC. He was admitted into Imperial and for his 1st year, he was the top scholar in the Engineering department. The funny thing was that he studied less than he did for school in HK. This is same with a lot of HK students in UK that I talk to.
I'm not saying Oxbridge and such aren't good, but compared with ALOT of UK unis, the ones in HK as good if not better.

Maybe he's hardworking? It depends on a lot of factors...

A-levels in Hong Kong are only a bit harder than British A-levels - but that's probably only in science and maths and perhaps humanities. Don't know about the standard of English and Chinese.
Reply 49
I am a purely local student and I studied in local ENGLISH School and got 6A in HKCEE. Now I am a law student at University of Hong Kong. I would say HKU is within the top ten in UK.

First, I want to say that although English is the language of instruction in many secondary schools and all universities, people just cannot speak English well. Unlike Singapore, our mother language language is Cantonese. In addition to English, we also have to learn Mandarin.

Second, University of Hong Kong is not as comprehensive as Yale. Many subjects like Astronmy, Forestry, Marine Sciences, Archeaology, Geology, Ancient History, African studies, Latin Americal Studies, Library studies (There must be more examples) are not offered here. Nevertheless, I know that some visiting students here come from Yale, Columbia, UC, so the academic standard of HKU must be good.

Third, universities in HK are East-Asia-Oriented. Chinese-related stuffs are our strength, so probably in these areas HK unis are academically better than Oxbridge and Ivies. I would say even SOAS is worse than HKU in these areas.
For instance, Faculty of Law in HKU has a very very strong Chinese law team which is led by a prominent law professor, Albery Chen.

Next year, I am going to transfer to University of Wales, Aberystwyth to study international politics because so few international politics courses are offerred in HKU. What I want to say is that it is quite pointless to argue which uni is better and which uni is worse. Oxbridge is strong indeed, but they cannot be strong in all areas of academic studies. The problem inevitably boils down to resources and the actual academics employed. Usually, only 10-20 academics are employed in each department, so it really depends on the personal quality.

Prestige is an intangible and sociological phenomenon which is subject to geographical variation. HKU is more famous than warwick, Nottingham and perhaps LSE in HK!

Thanks
Reply 50
wildfire
Maybe he's hardworking? It depends on a lot of factors...

A-levels in Hong Kong are only a bit harder than British A-levels - but that's probably only in science and maths and perhaps humanities. Don't know about the standard of English and Chinese.

I don't think A-levels in Hong Kong are just a bit harder than British A-levels. If so, why do places like LSE and Imperial take on people with qualifications like BCCs (HK A-levels), whereas people who do the British A-levels have to get at least AAB in many subjects? I think 1 out of 4 people taking the British A-levels says a lot about the difficulty when compared with 1% of the whole HK population getting an A.
Reply 51
yeung 3939

u r so right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but be calm down. i don't know u r going to transfer, i strongly believe u can apply to some better uni in uk. don't rush to the destination, u may try the british council exhibition in july/ august. or directly apply to individual u.

i am getting corncern about ur move. but if u really like wale, then its fine!!:redface:
Reply 52
kk8899
yeung 3939

but be calm down. i don't know u r going to transfer, i strongly believe u can apply to some better uni in uk. don't rush to the destination, u may try the british council exhibition in july/ august. or directly apply to individual u.

i am getting corncern about ur move. but if u really like wale, then its fine!!:redface:

If you read some of his other posts, you will know why he chose Univeristy of Wales (excellent research in International Politics and good rep in this area).
Reply 53
jessiek
I don't think A-levels in Hong Kong are just a bit harder than British A-levels. If so, why do places like LSE and Imperial take on people with qualifications like BCCs (HK A-levels), whereas people who do the British A-levels have to get at least AAB in many subjects?

Are you sure? Most of my friends in HK who applied to Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL got offers at the same level as British A levels (ie. AAA/AAB in HK A level). They told me it is near impossible to meet the offers, so they gave up the idea of studying in UK and decided to stay in HK instead.
Reply 54
Yes, so HK students have been unfairly treated.
Reply 55
kk8899
yeung 3939

OH! Thank you.

Many people think that this is a stupid move. This worries me a lot.
Reply 56
yeung3939
OH! Thank you.

Many people think that this is a stupid move. This worries me a lot.

I don't think this is a stupid move because University of Wales, as you have already said, has one of the top international politics departments in the UK and you want to go on to do research/graduate degrees after your undergraduate degree. So people in the know (ie. International Politics professor) would have heard of University of Wales before. But for your graduate degree you should go to a more famous uni (eg. Oxbridge, LSE).
Reply 57
bryan
I don't think this is a stupid move because University of Wales, as you have already said, has one of the top international politics departments in the UK and you want to go on to do research/graduate degrees after your undergraduate degree. So people in the know (ie. International Politics professor) would have heard of University of Wales before. But for your graduate degree you should go to a more famous uni (eg. Oxbridge, LSE).

according to his result,6 A in hkcee (means 6 A* in uk gcse), that is brilliant!!!. yeung can apply to ucl , lse in this moment, and not until post grad. he has all the potential......try some more uni...like all the uk student did, make 6 choices, be fair to urself. At the end of the day, he may not go to politic , but may be business. Therefore, a better rep uni is very handy for him imo!!!
Reply 58
kk8899
according to his result,6 A in hkcee (means 6 A* in uk gcse), that is brilliant!!!. yeung can apply to ucl , lse in this moment, and not until post grad. he has all the potential......try some more uni...like all the uk student did, make 6 choices, be fair to urself. At the end of the day, he may not go to politic , but may be business. Therefore, a better rep uni is very handy for him imo!!!

As far as I know, he is determined to go into research.
Reply 59
In my humble opinion, the A-level of HK is probably the most difficult secondary school public examination in the world because

1. Not many countries have 7-year secondary school system.
2. Among those which have, HKAL is the most difficult one in terms of the content. This is to a larger extent true for subjects like physics, Maths, Chem than arts subjects which are biased towards English speakers
3. The percentage of good grades of HKAL is very low

But be aware that many students here, who have got top results in HKCEE, will be admitted by unis without A-level result. That means they are admitted after sixth year of secondary school studies. I am one of them.

However, I still insist that public examination by no means accurately reflect one's ability (both academic and vocational). Most of my friends did not do well in public examinations just because of nerviousness and low motivation (It is even more valid in HK because only those with steadily perfect performance can get an A, as explained above), but when they get into a course that suit them, they manage to do well. I would say in UK, where difference in language ability among students does not exist, the 'mobility' of student's ability over time must be higher.

My words are based on my experience. I really feel that public examination result, which is the main criteria used in undergraduate admission, is very inaccurate. I have heard that according to a recent survey, those who earn most are not those who do well in examinations. It is the 'middle' group which earn most. Therefore, I personally never feel that I am superior to those City university of Hong Kong and HK Baptist Uni students. The fact that I did well in examinations only has very limited meaning and implication. The only way in which it helps me is to bring me into the HKU LLB, which although proves to be a bad choice now, is a top programme.

Thanks.
Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending