The Student Room Group

Economic Policy graduate courses

Greetings.

To give myself some background i achieved GCSE C/B grades worked in retail and bar work for a few years before doing an Access Course (9 Distinctions, 51 Merits). I am currently studying BA Economics For Business at Leeds Metropolitan.

After university i'm not fully set on a particular career (i'd like to go into politics eventually) and so at the moment i'm considering anything from the civil service to the railway operations (TFL, Network Rail, Treasury ect..), mainly i don't want to work in retail though.

Whilst studying i have increasingly enjoyed the link to politics which economics has and also macroeconomics (micro is a bitch). As such i am considering something like Economic Policy as a graduate course both because it sounds interesting and because i think doing so at a much better university will boost my employment prospects (plus i'm willing to spend the money).

Here are what i have my eye on so far...

UCL - economic policy
Birmingham - economic policy
bristol - economics and public policy
glasgow - economic and financial sector policy
glasgow - international finance and economic policy

All are a vaguely reasonable cost bar UCL which is £14k.

Essentially i'd just like to know if anybody has anything to add about the courses, which universities will put me in good stead in terms of employment (i presume UCL and Bristol) and also whether my lack of GCSE A*'s, Access Course or the fact i studied at Leeds Met will be of detriment to me.
Reply 1
A good list of unis in chosen courses. I heard that UCL and Bristol tend to be more on the quant side when it comes to modelling and problem solving. Some strong electives in monetary policy QE. So know that econ policy has a strong micro component when it comes to analysis.
Reply 2
Original post by Tcannon
A good list of unis in chosen courses. I heard that UCL and Bristol tend to be more on the quant side when it comes to modelling and problem solving. Some strong electives in monetary policy QE. So know that econ policy has a strong micro component when it comes to analysis.

Excellent.
Reply 3
Original post by Tcannon

Any know how of what my chances of getting in would be?
Reply 4
i think UCL will be out the question. unless you've got a really high average at leeds, like 80 odd
Reply 5
Firstly, I think it is important to note that the Bristol course you've opted for is an MSc Economics with a focus in Public Economics. Not an 'Economic Policy' degree which tends to be less mathematical.

The UCL Economic Policy course was designed for students not interested in the mathematical aspect of economics. Though, this said, I feel they are creating an 'easier' course just to make some extra money off of students. Ideally, you want a mathematical MSc Economics/Econometrics because really this is what best trains you if you want to become a professional economist.

See the Lucas Critique and read up on Quantitative Theory vs Econometrics.
Also consider reading the following journal articles:

"The Computational Experiment: An Econometric Tool" by Kydland and Prescott in the Journal of Economic Perspectives (1996)

"Calibrated Models" by Cooley in Oxford Review of Economic Policy (1997)

"Business Cycles: Real Facts and a Monetary Myth" by Kydland and Prescott in the Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, Spring (1990)

In terms of prospects, obviously UCL is best. Then Bristol, and Birmingham not too far behind. I don't know much about Glasgow truth be told, but from my understanding, the quality of their economic research is nothing to shout out about, so I wouldn't expect much from their MSc programmes.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
Any know how of what my chances of getting in would be?

What sort of grade are you on track for? While you don't need 80% minimum, as above, for UCL you would need a 1st, and for the rest you would need a 2.1 minimum.

MSc programmes are easier to get onto than BSc/BA programmes because universities choose how many people they take on, and also they cost a lot so demand isn't very high. They're often used as cash cows to finance the department/university better.
I know the London School of Economics offer a Master of Public Administration course (MPA) in Economic Policy- I think you need a first.
Reply 8
I'm very hopeful that i can get a first or a worst high 2'1. My aim is 66-74.
Reply 9
Original post by Rakas21
I'm very hopeful that i can get a first or a worst high 2'1. My aim is 66-74.

You should be fine in being made an offer. You should consider seriously, however, which course you would actually want to do, and which would be best for you given your non technical background.
Reply 10
Original post by rageagainstessays
I know the London School of Economics offer a Master of Public Administration course (MPA) in Economic Policy- I think you need a first.

Sounds interesting but at £40k even with some financial help from the university i can't afford it (even UCL will be a push). I'll be entirely self funding.

Have looked around a bit and found another three i quite like so the list looks like this..

UCL - economic policy
Birmingham - economic policy
bristol - economics and public policy
glasgow - economic and financial sector policy
glasgow - international finance and economic policy
York - Economic and social policy analysis
Westminster - International economic policy and analysis
Surrey - Energy Economics and policy

Original post by .ACS.
You should be fine in being made an offer. You should consider seriously, however, which course you would actually want to do, and which would be best for you given your non technical background.

Excellent. I've got a good year yet so plenty of time to decide.
Reply 11
Rather than start another thread i was just curious as to how well the Msc Economics courses are regarded at the following universities..

Manchester
Birmingham
Nottingham
Queen Mary london

And the Economic Scottish graduate course at Edinburgh and Strathclyde.

Quick Reply

Latest