The Student Room Group

Summer jobs 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Your best bet is small outlets/businesses. Also, experience is key. You're far more likely to get a job if you have 2 or 3 years experience. I've come back to London from uni and got offered a job straight away, unfortunately I got fired after two weeks because a manager didn't like me and said 'I didn't fit in'...the places I've worked at before have been far more pressurized, but meh, moved on and have an interview with a Luxury Hotel Chain next week.
Reply 81
Original post by MedMed12
anyone got any ideas where I could apply?
i can work any day at the moment until mid sept- when uni starts.
Need something to do and I dont want to waste my summer and could do with some money of my own.
thanks in advance :smile:

I can't help thinking that if you wanted a summer you should have applied a bit earlier than mid to late June. Good luck anyway!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by meenu89
I can't help thinking that if you wanted a summer you should have applied a bit earlier than mid to late June. Good luck anyway!

It's hard when you're still at uni/have exams before June. Then you need to rush home for an interview etc. and you can't say you can start asap if you need to revise.
Reply 83
Original post by meenu89

I sent two applications out, but their idea of summer is end of July to start of sept so haven't heard yet.Also, exams were priority.
I sent out over 45 applications for the last month or so, I've been having no luck even though I have 2 weeks experience at John Lewis, My CV is great I've been told, I'm bright and very academic (Straight As). I have no idea what is wrong lol.
No one is willing to employ because I cannot commit to at least 6 months it seems, despite trying to make my dates as vague as possible, the university trap always hinders me.
Reply 86
I was unsuccessful from my last interview, which was the second I've had in the last two weeks. I found it a bit weird though - I know this girl who is twenty, and she applied but they told her the manager wouldn't interview her because she was too old, when I had my interview there was a women before me who was in her late thirties, this women was half an hour in her interview and she seemed to know the manager, my interview was only ten minutes and she didn't ask me any questions, the rejection letter I received was dated the day before they even rang me about an interview. Something tells me they already knew who they wanted to employ, but needed to do interviews anyway, what a waste of my time.

After I received the rejection, I went into a hotel and spoke to the manager. She said they had a vacancy for a room attendant, she told me all about it then went on to ask if I'd prefer to work front of house as a waitress, so she's now speaking to the other manager to see if they have any waitress positions, she took my CV and she's going to ring me back tomorrow. Fingers crossed. :-)
Reply 87
Original post by Syedishtyaq
I sent out over 45 applications for the last month or so, I've been having no luck even though I have 2 weeks experience at John Lewis, My CV is great I've been told, I'm bright and very academic (Straight As). I have no idea what is wrong lol.

Story of my life.
I swear it's more who you know, than what you know nowadays. Have you applied for them all online? :-)
Reply 88
Original post by Deziah
I was unsuccessful from my last interview, which was the second I've had in the last two weeks. I found it a bit weird though - I know this girl who is twenty, and she applied but they told her the manager wouldn't interview her because she was too old, when I had my interview there was a women before me who was in her late thirties, this women was half an hour in her interview and she seemed to know the manager, my interview was only ten minutes and she didn't ask me any questions, the rejection letter I received was dated the day before they even rang me about an interview. Something tells me they already knew who they wanted to employ, but needed to do interviews anyway, what a waste of my time.

After I received the rejection, I went into a hotel and spoke to the manager. She said they had a vacancy for a room attendant, she told me all about it then went on to ask if I'd prefer to work front of house as a waitress, so she's now speaking to the other manager to see if they have any waitress positions, she took my CV and she's going to ring me back tomorrow. Fingers crossed. :-)

Food and Beverage in hotels is a good one. Not many try these places.

I've got an interview with Hilton this Weds and have loads of experience (if you added up my positions it come to at least 2 years), hoping for the best.
Reply 89
Original post by noone29
Food and Beverage in hotels is a good one. Not many try these places.

I've got an interview with Hilton this Weds and have loads of experience (if you added up my positions it come to at least 2 years), hoping for the best.

The staff are generally so much nicer in hotels than in retail I believe as well.
Oh wow, good luck! :-)
Reply 90
Original post by Deziah
The staff are generally so much nicer in hotels than in retail I believe as well.
Oh wow, good luck! :-)

It's generally much better yes. Service is much more important whereas, although they never say this, on the high street in both mid-market restaurants and shops, sales are much more important, all they care about is how much they're taking after costs.

The place I worked at on the high street didn't care about service, they'd put 1 person on to serve the entire restaurant. Their motto was, 'customers will come in regardless, so it doesn't matter if they have to wait a bit'.

Direct quote when I asked why they didn't put on more staff during busy periods.
Original post by Deziah
Story of my life.
I swear it's more who you know, than what you know nowadays. Have you applied for them all online? :-)

Yepp! All online, It is about who you know, My uncle is a manager at a Mcdonalds and I went to him as a last resort i MAY be starting there as soon as a job vacancy is up, So basically when a vacancy pops up before it goes online the staff would be asked you know anyone?, Also I have a cousin who works part time at a store, I won't mention the store, The store had 3 new vacancies they asked the staff to see who knows anyone once they are filled in by recommendation they THEN put up online applications.
Reply 92
Spoke to the manager from that hotel again this morning and she was going to offer me a job front of house, but she couldn't because I'm not eighteen. :angry:
Rang up yet another hotel this morning and she has told me to hand my CV in which I'm going to do in about half an hour. I've applied for every online vacancy I can, and I'm starting to run out of places to ring up.
Reply 93
Original post by Syedishtyaq
Yepp! All online, It is about who you know, My uncle is a manager at a Mcdonalds and I went to him as a last resort i MAY be starting there as soon as a job vacancy is up, So basically when a vacancy pops up before it goes online the staff would be asked you know anyone?, Also I have a cousin who works part time at a store, I won't mention the store, The store had 3 new vacancies they asked the staff to see who knows anyone once they are filled in by recommendation they THEN put up online applications.

I had an interview for McDonalds but couldn't make it because I had college, and now there are literally no vacancies in any stores where I live. D:
I guess those who get their first job through a family friend/relative are going to have a shock when they have to start applying for jobs and realise how hard it is. :eek:
Reply 94
Original post by Deziah
I had an interview for McDonalds but couldn't make it because I had college, and now there are literally no vacancies in any stores where I live. D:
I guess those who get their first job through a family friend/relative are going to have a shock when they have to start applying for jobs and realise how hard it is. :eek:

That's the thing. Once you've got a job, the key thing is to never be unemployed. Even if you need a new one, stick it out and have something lined up. It tends to be easier when you're in a job to find others. You've got the money and time to bide yourself to find whatever it is you're after.
Reply 95
Finding a job is incredibly hard all of a sudden :frown: I didn't have to look that hard for my job last summer, or the Christmas before, but now I've applied to about 20-30 jobs, only got two interviews and have been rejected from both of them. I've been rejected everywhere from kids' clubs to Sainsburys.
Reply 96
Got another interview this weekend!
In the last month I've had two interviews, got offered a job by speaking to the manager but couldn't take it because I'm not eighteen and have another interview this weekend. This month has been so stressful.
Original post by Deziah

I've had the shock already lol, But the thing is with my uncle he doesn't want me to become lazy even though he is the manager I can easy get in, He is going to wait for a vacancy and just fast track me and then leave it form there and give a good reference, It is up to me to secure the job!
been job hunting the past three days, only realising now that i would have significantly benefited had i applied weeks earlier, damn, i was hoping people were exaggerating on the difficulty to get a job but nope, also all these online quizzes they have are so frustrating -.-
Original post by lazershus
been job hunting the past three days, only realising now that i would have significantly benefited had i applied weeks earlier, damn, i was hoping people were exaggerating on the difficulty to get a job but nope, also all these online quizzes they have are so frustrating -.-

Tell me about it. I'm trying for multiple vacancies at The Carphone Warehouse in London (all they have, about a 40 minute train journey) and despite sending off the same application to multiple stores, they insist I retake the 20 minute test for each store - such a waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending