The Student Room Group

write a balanced equation for this conversion / c51h98o6 = co2 + h20

Every time i try to balance the equation i always end up getting the oxygen molecule to a ridiculous value:angry:. Please can someone help.

c51h98o6 = co2 + h20

thank you
Original post by omar77
Every time i try to balance the equation i always end up getting the oxygen molecule to a ridiculous value:angry:. Please can someone help.

c51h98o6 = co2 + h20

thank you

You need 51 + (98/4) - (6/2) oxygen molecules
Reply 2
please can you explain because the cho are one molecules and you wrote 51 + (98/4). how can this be as this all one molecule.

(6/2) oxygen molecules...do you mean that the co2 has 6 moles and the h20 has 2 moles.
Original post by omar77
please can you explain because the cho are one molecules and you wrote 51 + (98/4). how can this be as this all one molecule.

(6/2) oxygen molecules...do you mean that the co2 has 6 moles and the h20 has 2 moles.

All of the carbon atoms turn to carbon dioxide, each carbon dioxide molecule requires one oxygen molecule for formation:

C + O2 --> CO2

All of the hydrogen atoms turn to water molecules and every two water molecules needs one molecule of oxygen:

4H + O2 --> 2H2O

BUT there are already 6 atoms (= 3 molecule equivalents) in the structure so you can subtract these....
Reply 4
Original post by charco
All of the carbon atoms turn to carbon dioxide, each carbon dioxide molecule requires one oxygen molecule for formation:

C + O2 --> CO2

All of the hydrogen atoms turn to water molecules and every two water molecules needs one molecule of oxygen:

4H + O2 --> 2H2O

BUT there are already 6 atoms (= 3 molecule equivalents) in the structure so you can subtract these....

so...as a balanced equation it will look like - _c51h98o6 =_co2 +_h20?
Reply 5
it still wont work because there are far too many carbon aand hydrogen atoms and too little oxygen atoms for the reaction to form a balance.

Im sorry if i sound like a pest but it doesn't seem to work :confused:
Original post by omar77
it still wont work because there are far too many carbon aand hydrogen atoms and too little oxygen atoms for the reaction to form a balance.

Im sorry if i sound like a pest but it doesn't seem to work :confused:

The equation has the form:

_C51H98O6 + _O2 --> _CO2 + _H2O

The number of carbons on the left MUST equal the number on the RHS, so there MUST be 51 carbon dioxide molecules.

The number of hydrogen atoms on the LHS MUST equal the number of hydrogen atoms on the RHS, so there must be 98/2 water molecules.

Then count up the total oxygen atoms on the RHS and this MUST equal the total on the LHS. You do this my changing the number of oxygen molecules.

Quick Reply

Latest