The Student Room Group

stupid government

It really annoys me when they say "anyone can go to uni", i just filled in my application and based on my parents salary, i will hardly get nothing at all. They get decent salary but have so many outgoing like mortgage, credit card bill and many more, so can't really provide for me.

Most of the time, to go you have to be either be from a rich background or poor (where they get everything given to them on a silver platter). But a hard working family gets no help what so ever :/

Scroll to see replies

I managed to get through uni without more than the basic government help and my parents weren't giving me an allowance. It just means you have to get a job and shop sensibly, and not drink all your money. I worked each holiday to get me enough to get through term time.
Reply 2
Original post by tombrown7

Most of the time, to go you have to be either be from a rich background or poor (where they get everything given to them on a silver platter). But a hard working family gets no help what so ever :/

Those of us who are from a family with a low income aren't given everything to us on a plate. We leave with more debt than you.

A credit card bill is a choice. Being on a low income isn't.
Original post by OU Student
Those of us who are from a family with a low income aren't given everything to us on a plate. We leave with more debt than you.

I agree with you, but it's not the student's choice, it's the parents'. Nobody is saying that there shouldn't be provision for people from low income families to go to university, but there are a lot of people who end up having to work more hours while living on less at university than those on full grants because their parents can't/won't give them the amount the government expects them to. I think it's quite reasonable for those people to be jealous and/or want a change to the system.
Reply 4

But you can borrow that, the OP does not have a choice to do so

And, as I recently discovered, people from low income families can take the free grant without the loan element ... that is not fair, surely ... if they do not need the total should they not have to take the loan first?
(edited 11 years ago)

What an idiotic comment. It is flabbergasting how you are actually in a position of authority in regards to Student finance on this website.

OP, the medium I suggest are as outlined by other posters. Firstly, get a job out of term and save up. Secondly, have a university job to help you afford any other extra costs. Thirdly, perhaps strike a medium of balance with your parents so that they can give you at least something to support your finances, not entirely, but something. Unfortunately, it's going to be a tough ride but do apply for extra bursaries or other sources of funding in and around your university.
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
But you can borrow that, the OP does not have a choice to do so

And, as I recently discovered, people from low income families can take the free grant without the loan element ... that is not fair, surely ... if they do not need the total should they not have to take the loan first?

But why should someone be forced to take money they don't want?
Reply 7
But why should someone be forced to take money they don't want?

That is not the point is it

Someone who takes a grant will not have to pay it back

The grant should be in addition to the loan, not in place of it
Reply 8
Original post by TenOfThem
That is not the point is it

Someone who takes a grant will not have to pay it back

The grant should be in addition to the loan, not in place of it

Why should they be forced to be in more debt?
Reply 9

Why should others

Explain why someone who is on limited income can take a grant and have NO maintenance loan

If they do not need the loan why should they be entitled to the grant

TBH

I found this sooooo incredible that I assumed I had misunderstood the first post that I saw mentioning it and am only realising that it must be true after seeing 3 threads about the same issue
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
We have arrived back at the beginning of the cycle.
Going to Uni costs money and the UK is a bit short of that.
In 1970 only 10% of eligible students went to university. Now it is more like 20% WHO DO NOT GO.
IN THE 1970s there were full grants with no tuition fees. because it was feasible to provide them. Tuition fees for 10 students are cheaper than for 80 students.
Now with more students encouraged to appy (cynics may say to reduce the unemployment figures) the feasablility of financing those students has reduced to what paople here are describing.
It is a mess. BUT it is a mess made by numbers. Whilst the majority want to go to Uni, the mess will remain.
However, I would not offer my own daughter the logical alternative.

Why do you expect to be given the money for free?

people from poor backgrounds have an aboslute easy ride in terms of getting student finance. They get more loan and huge grants, i get just over 4k and about £200 in grants. My flatmate gets £6k for the year.

Student loan is not a typical debt, anyone who complains about student loan debts are moronic.
Reply 12
While I understand the debate about loan allocation regarding parents income I don't see how those with higher incomes have nothing at all to spare.

My mum and my stepdad are low income earners, but even they manage to find £20 a month to give me, even after all their bills! I don't understand why higher earning parents won't give anything at all, not even something small.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
It really annoys me when they say "anyone can go to uni", i just filled in my application and based on my parents salary, i will hardly get nothing at all. They get decent salary but have so many outgoing like mortgage, credit card bill and many more, so can't really provide for me.

You can always get a loan which is a 0 interest one and is only adjusted for inflation.
Original post by CEKTOP
You can always get a loan which is a 0 interest one and is only adjusted for inflation.

Uninformed rubbish.

Student loan rates are now RPI PLUS 3% whilst studying.

currently they are over 6%.

The days of being effectively interest free ended last year.
Original post by CRIKEY12
We have arrived back at the beginning of the cycle.
Going to Uni costs money and the UK is a bit short of that.
In 1970 only 10% of eligible students went to university. Now it is more like 20% WHO DO NOT GO.
IN THE 1970s there were full grants with no tuition fees. because it was feasible to provide them. Tuition fees for 10 students are cheaper than for 80 students.
Now with more students encouraged to appy (cynics may say to reduce the unemployment figures) the feasablility of financing those students has reduced to what paople here are describing.
It is a mess. BUT it is a mess made by numbers. Whilst the majority want to go to Uni, the mess will remain.
However, I would not offer my own daughter the logical alternative.

Your fundamental argument is sound, though your figures are a bit out. Taking 2008 figures, only 35% of each age cohort will graduate (slightly different to how many go to uni, I appreciate, though I believe drop out rates are only somewhere in the region of 6%). That said, the raw students numbers have quadrupled since 1970...

With regards to the OP, your parents have made certain lifestyle choices that mean they cannot / will not fund your university education. In essence, they have chosen material comfort over their offspring's education. That's not a choice that my parents are able to make.
Reply 16

If you're careful with your money at uni you can get by without your parents help. Also you can have a part time job yourself. Going to university is about being more independent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by blue n white army
Why do you expect to be given the money for free?

I can't speak for OU Student, but I don't think anyone "expects" money for free. However, people from poor backgrounds are less likely to go to university and the most likely to leave university due to financial pressures and are arguably the most likely to benefit from it (in terms of social mobility) so it makes sense to target them.

people from poor backgrounds have an aboslute easy ride in terms of getting student finance.

But they are also the most likely to experience significant financial challenges and less likely to receive parental support.
Original post by River85
I can't speak for OU Student, but I don't think anyone "expects" money for free. However, people from poor backgrounds are less likely to go to university and the most likely to leave university due to financial pressures and are arguably the most likely to benefit from it (in terms of social mobility) so it makes sense to target them.

The only reason they are less likely to go is cos they don't understand the student loans system.

But they are also the most likely to experience significant financial challenges and less likely to receive parental support.

Such as?

Last year my flatemate was just over the threshold and only got the basic amount, my other flat mate had divorced parents and lived with his mum who was on a low income and he got near enough 3 grand extra.

6 grand is more than enough to live off at uni, i don't understand where these significant financial challenges come from?
Original post by blue n white army
The only reason they are less likely to go is cos they don't understand the student loans system.

Oh, to be young and naive. Low rates of HE participation in certain neighbourhoods has been going on for much longer than student loans have. It has much more to do with poor areas tending to have poor schools, a lack of culture of going into HE and a lack of awareness that university is not just something that other people do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending