The Student Room Group

Questions about NPLQ

So I'm going to be doing the NPLQ in the first week of April.

What do I need to take with me? A t-shirt/shorts for swimming or just shorts?
Do I need slippers to wear poolside? :s-smilie:
Also, how hard are the timed swims whilst towing a casualty?:/
Should I take two towels (will I be in the pool twice?)

Reply 1
Original post by Clubba
So I'm going to be doing the NPLQ in the first week of April.

What do I need to take with me? A t-shirt/shorts for swimming or just shorts?
Do I need slippers to wear poolside? :s-smilie:
Also, how hard are the timed swims whilst towing a casualty?:/
Should I take two towels (will I be in the pool twice?)

You need to bring both a T-shirt and shorts - you will swim in them both, so make sure they're old. Slippers no, but flip-flops may be okay, they're not necessary, but if you like them, then by all means have them. The timed swims aren't too hard - depends what your fitness levels are like, but if you're considering an NPLQ, it suggests that they're okay - they want you to pass, after all. I managed fine with one towel - you'll be constantly in and out of the pool, but you do have a theory session each day too, but you won't then go back in.
Reply 2
Original post by LadyHaha
You need to bring both a T-shirt and shorts - you will swim in them both, so make sure they're old. Slippers no, but flip-flops may be okay, they're not necessary, but if you like them, then by all means have them. The timed swims aren't too hard - depends what your fitness levels are like, but if you're considering an NPLQ, it suggests that they're okay - they want you to pass, after all. I managed fine with one towel - you'll be constantly in and out of the pool, but you do have a theory session each day too, but you won't then go back in.

Ah yes, that's what I meant, flip flops :tongue:
Fitness levels are... tried 50m in under 60 seconds and managed to do it in around ~40seconds, will that be okay for towing?
That's great. I think i'll take two towels just incase. Thankyou :-)
Reply 3
Original post by Clubba
Ah yes, that's what I meant, flip flops :tongue:
Fitness levels are... tried 50m in under 60 seconds and managed to do it in around ~40seconds, will that be okay for towing?
That's great. I think i'll take two towels just incase. Thankyou :-)

No worries - Good luck! That should be fine - I hadn't been swimming in about a year haha :P Sometimes, if you get a nice person, and you don't quite manage it first time, they may let you re-try at the end, however you'll practise it loads during the week, besides, the adrenaline will help! Haha, rather have more towels than needed - I was fortunate enough to do it in summer, so I could dry off pretty quickly :h:
Reply 4
No worries - Good luck! That should be fine - I hadn't been swimming in about a year haha :P Sometimes, if you get a nice person, and you don't quite manage it first time, they may let you re-try at the end, however you'll practise it loads during the week, besides, the adrenaline will help! Haha, rather have more towels than needed - I was fortunate enough to do it in summer, so I could dry off pretty quickly :h:

Haha, when did you take the course may I ask? Finger's crossed I get someone nice xD Haha, yep, true! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Clubba
Haha, when did you take the course may I ask? Finger's crossed I get someone nice xD Haha, yep, true! :smile:

Hmmm, 2 years ago? It expires this summer :L Never did become a lifeguard in the end... Still, I learnt a lot of useful stuff, including emergency first aid (and they glossed over normal first aid) :smile:
I agree, Adrenaline will drive the whole assessment! Well it did for me, on the first day I did the timed swim In like 70 seconds, but on the day I did it in 36! Just believe you can do it, and you will smash it:smile:
Reply 7
Hmmm, 2 years ago? It expires this summer :L Never did become a lifeguard in the end... Still, I learnt a lot of useful stuff, including emergency first aid (and they glossed over normal first aid) :smile:

Original post by Herbatronical
I agree, Adrenaline will drive the whole assessment! Well it did for me, on the first day I did the timed swim In like 70 seconds, but on the day I did it in 36! Just believe you can do it, and you will smash it:smile:

Thanks guys :-)

Quick Reply

Latest