The Student Room Group

Employment ideas?

I'm thinking of applying to uni in 2014 to study to become a paramedic, so a course that requires both time in uni and on placement. The amount I could get in loans/grants won't be enough to cover the cost of living so I really need to be working as well but I don't know what sort of thing I could do that could be flexible enough to fit around both, seeing as the hours could vary.

Anyone with experience have any advice or just general ideas? Thanks!
Original post by Siamese
I'm thinking of applying to uni in 2014 to study to become a paramedic, so a course that requires both time in uni and on placement. The amount I could get in loans/grants won't be enough to cover the cost of living so I really need to be working as well but I don't know what sort of thing I could do that could be flexible enough to fit around both, seeing as the hours could vary.

I have a conditional offer for adult nursing, which means I can't take out a contracted job. But the uni has advised that if I do need a job to get a 0 hour contract, therefore you are not obliged to work certain hours on certain days due to placements. It also means you can up hours when not on placement and reduce when you aren't. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You'll probably be better off trying to find full-time work in the holidays rather than part-time work that fits around your uni work and placements. Do you have any local theme parks or holiday resorts that hire seasonal staff? If not you can still try supermarkets and other retail stores who may want seasonal staff.
Reply 3
Original post by StacFace
You'll probably be better off trying to find full-time work in the holidays rather than part-time work that fits around your uni work and placements. Do you have any local theme parks or holiday resorts that hire seasonal staff? If not you can still try supermarkets and other retail stores who may want seasonal staff.

Agreed. Places that claim to be "flexible" often aren't, and it ends up being more hassle than it's worth.
Original post by Siamese

Try working at mcdonalds. They are very flexible. They take on a lot of students. You can work whatever days/times suit you, and can do more/less hours depending on your workload (e.g. doing more hours in the holidays etc). Plus there are loads of mcdonalds about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending