The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do any more...

Anon because I know people that are on here
I have a boyfriend, who I've been with for the past two years. At first, things were great. I went through a really difficult time not long afterwards, lost most of my friends, and he stuck by me and helped me even though I was really depressed and couldn't have been much fun at all really.
After a while, I got my life back again, I went back to school (I had dropped out before) and started enjoying life again. My boyfriend then got really really protective... He wanted me to tell him who I'd talked to that day, or if I was even just popping out to the shop... And even when I did, he'd accuse me of cheating on him, etc.
I then started to lose my friends, I was upset over him a lot, and he wouldn't let me see anyone outside of school, and eventually people just left me out and although people weren't mean, I just didn't have any friends. This made it really difficult for me because I find it very hard to make friends due to the fact that I'm shy and have anxiety disorders...
This has gone on for a long time now, and he will argue with me about petty things like if I don't text back to him instantly he will accuse me of putting other things before him and he wants to see me every single day. On days that we don't meet, he expects that I do nothing, don't go out, he just expects me to sleep, eat and revise (and he doesn't even like me doing that too much either)
I really want to leave him but he's the only person I have:/ I know that I should be strong and be okay to be by myself but he makes me feel as though no one will ever love me. I have no one to support me in my decision, my family turn a blind eye to me and aren't supportive, and I dont have any friends... I don't know what I'm asking for here, I just can't carry on like this any more.
Would really appreciate some advice, and I'm sorry this is so long.
Hey babe,

I don't know if you know about emotinal abuse, but what you are describing is 100% emotional abuse.

http://www.counselingcenter.illinois.edu/?page_id=168

Emotional abuse is like brain washing in that it systematically wears away at the victim’s self-confidence, sense of self-worth, trust in their own perceptions, and self-concept. Does that sound like you?

He is NOT the only person you have, please don't think like that. The only reason you don't have friends is because he doesn't like it when you go out without him. He's made you exlude yourself from your social support.

You:
1. Are amazing, and someone who deserves you will love you when you meet the right person
2. Have support, and it's not in your current boyfriend
3. Deserve so so so much more
4. Can be happy

Please leave him xxx

Reply 2
He sounds like a control freak. You say you don't want to leave him but this relationship clearly isn't healthy & making you happy anymore.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending