The Student Room Group

Do maintenance loans and grants come all at the same time?

I'm getting confused with my student finance application. As I understand it, tuition loans come term at a time. Does the same happen with maintenance grants and loans, or does it come all at once at the start of the year?

Also, for student accomodation, they give weekly rent prices and annual rent prices. Can you choose whether you pay weekly or annually?

Thankyou!
Original post by melissaye
I'm getting confused with my student finance application. As I understand it, tuition loans come term at a time. Does the same happen with maintenance grants and loans, or does it come all at once at the start of the year?

Also, for student accomodation, they give weekly rent prices and annual rent prices. Can you choose whether you pay weekly or annually?

Thankyou!

They come in 3 chunks throughout the year.

Accommodation will depend on the uni/private halls policy.
You get a third at the start of each term and your tuition loan goes straight to the uni.

Ask the uni how you pay the rent.
(edited 11 years ago)
You pay accomodation normally in three chunks :smile:
Reply 4
What others have said are correct. As regards to uni accomodation, im not sure about halls, but I know with renting privately that if you offer to pay the rent all up front for the year, some will offer a small percentage off like 6% or something.
Reply 5
Original post by melissaye

Thankyou!

The grant comes with the maintaince loan at the start of each term.

I don't know of anywhere that lets you pay rent weekly. In halls they are generally quite flexible about payment though- we got the option of monthly direct debit, termly or in one lump sum at the start of the year.

Once you move into a private house then the landlord might be less flexible about how you can pay. Mine for example specifies that we pay every three months (which roughly coincides with student finance payments apart from our summer payment as its a 12 month contract).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending