The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick or reapply next year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by LoseSmallWinBig
Your point was actually quite interesting to be fair. LSE definitely has a global reach, that some underestimate. I got rejected for Law, and pretty gutted, and did get into Oxford but just goes to show how things work.

Congrats on the Oxford offer, the LSE selection process is an absolute mystery.

When people get to Uni, you would be surprised how loyal and protective over their university people become. It is definitely a good thing though. Most people just joke about it, however some people do take it a bit too seriously, hence the above argument.

There is no real objective measure of how good a Uni is, at least amongst these ones, and so it will always come down to which university is preferred by the student.
(edited 11 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 61
Original post by crunchychips
League tables don't mean anything. They must just give a general idea (eg. Harvard is better than Bath Spa), but not much. A lot of rankings are based on citations, where an older institution automatically wins out as it simply had more time to publish research.

So what did you use as your general idea to come to a conclusion that Warwick is as prestigious as LSE in the UK and globally but yet not as prestigious as Oxbridge?
Reply 62
OP, what did you decide to do in the end?
Reply 63
Original post by JRChapman
OP, what did you decide to do in the end?

I'm not completely decisive but I think I tend towards Warwick. Perhaps I might also study in a german university for a year like Mannheim or Munich then reapply for LSE and oxford, or if that doesnt work, continue studyingi n Germany.
Original post by Giveme45
I'm not completely decisive but I think I tend towards Warwick. Perhaps I might also study in a german university for a year like Mannheim or Munich then reapply for LSE and oxford, or if that doesnt work, continue studyingi n Germany.

Trust me, losing a whole year just to step up a bit on the prestige ladder (in the case of oxford), or not at all (maybe a tiny, tiny bit) in the case of LSE isn't worth it. You won't gain anything by not accepting the Warwick offer than a bit more prestige.
Reply 65
Trust me, losing a whole year just to step up a bit on the prestige ladder (in the case of oxford), or not at all (maybe a tiny, tiny bit) in the case of LSE isn't worth it. You won't gain anything by not accepting the Warwick offer than a bit more prestige.

You didn't answer my last question.
Original post by LutherVan
So what did you use as your general idea to come to a conclusion that Warwick is as prestigious as LSE in the UK and globally but yet not as prestigious as Oxbridge?

Employers don't seem to care whether you went to Warwick or LSE, and people in general know both universities and know that both are good. Internationally, LSE has a slight edge, especially in Asia, but in Europe, Warwick is well known. In the USA, neither are very known.
Employers don't seem to care whether you went to Warwick or LSE, and people in general know both universities and know that both are good. Internationally, LSE has a slight edge, especially in Asia, but in Europe, Warwick is well known. In the USA, neither are very known.

Flogging a dead horse to be quite honest. Warwick is an excellent university, but to say that it is pretty much globally equal to LSE is wrong. LSE is known in the US to anyone who matters, and Warwick won't fare too badly either. LSE is however seen as the closest candidate for a HYP UK equivalent.
Original post by LoseSmallWinBig
Flogging a dead horse to be quite honest. Warwick is an excellent university, but to say that it is pretty much globally equal to LSE is wrong. LSE is known in the US to anyone who matters, and Warwick won't fare too badly either. LSE is however seen as the closest candidate for a HYP UK equivalent.

It depends what exactly you mean by prestige. The "common" person in the USA won't have heard of LSE or Warwick. Someone hiring in banks who knows about UK unis probably won't mind. Someone hiring in a big firm who doesn't know much might have heard of LSE, but I doubt the edge is big in favour of LSE (I think only Oxbridge have a real edge). A top university will percieve Warwick as far better when someone will apply for a Math PhD. Etc.Etc.
It seems a bit like hair splitting. Yes, if we add everything up, LSE might have a slight edge, but nowhere near the prestige that Oxbridge has.
I applied to Oxford for Maths and got rejected. I also applied to Bath, ICL and Warwick was sort of done on a whim. I got an offer from Warwick, looked at the prospectus, looked at the website, looked at the location, looked at the social life, looked at the campus. There are more societies at Warwick than any other uni too.
Came to the conclusion it is, for me, the best all-round university in the country for what I need. I rejected ICL and Bath as they have the same offer as Warwick and I'd prefer to go to Warwick.

But that's just me, and for Maths. And if you do take some Maths-type modules at Warwick you are likely to be in much better hands than LSE.

I strongly suggest you look at the Warwick Uni website in some depth before you seriously consider rejecting an offer, I would suggest it would be a mistake.
Reply 70

First of all, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

Secondly, you did not answer my question.

"What did you use as your general idea to come to a conclusion that Warwick is as prestigious as LSE in the UK and globally but yet not as prestigious as Oxbridge?"

Thirdly, employers do care.

Fourthly, LSE is very well known and admired in the US.
First of all, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

Secondly, you did not answer my question.

"What did you use as your general idea to come to a conclusion that Warwick is as prestigious as LSE in the UK and globally but yet not as prestigious as Oxbridge?"

Thirdly, employers do care.

Fourthly, LSE is very well known and admired in the US.

What source do YOU use? I know some people in the USA, and they all said they've only heard of Oxbridge. Don't deceive yourself. No way is the LSE "very well known and admired in the US".
No, employers do not care. Whether you went to Warwick or LSE will not make a realistic difference at all. Certainly a first in Warwick Economics is seen as better than 2.1 in LSE economics.
Reply 72
What source do YOU use? I know some people in the USA, and they all said they've only heard of Oxbridge. Don't deceive yourself. No way is the LSE "very well known and admired in the US".
No, employers do not care. Whether you went to Warwick or LSE will not make a realistic difference at all. Certainly a first in Warwick Economics is seen as better than 2.1 in LSE economics.

Agreed. People in the US that I know only know of Oxbridge. Tbh, i'd never even heard of LSE before I started looking at Unis. Neither had my dad, and he went to Durham in the 1970s. Not saying LSE is bad, it's certainly one of the top obviously. But that has no impact on Warwick being a "lesser uni" in comparison. Warwick's one of the best.
Reply 73

Okay. I will happily tell you my sources just after you tell me:

Okay. I will happily tell you my sources just after you tell me:

I already told you, knowing and asking people in general, reading around forums. I don't have one specific source, just as I cannot tell you the specific source of why Oxbridge have the highest prestige.
Reply 75
I already told you, knowing and asking people in general, reading around forums. I don't have one specific source, just as I cannot tell you the specific source of why Oxbridge have the highest prestige.

So word of mouth is your source then. Thanks, I would rather rely on reliable league tables. I think those are more reliable than your words.

Now to address your questions.

Employers do care, that is why it is evident all around you that some jobs are elitists. And when these jobs are elitists, they normally go this way:

- Oxbridge only.
- Oxbridge and LSE only.
- Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial only.
- Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and X, Y, Z only. (Where X, Y and Z can be any of the next batch of prestigious universities that includes Warwick and likes)

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/10/20/education/20iht-SReducEmploy20-graphic.html?ref=education

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/10/25/world/asia/25iht-sreducemerging25-graphic.html?ref=nf

http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/our-services/events-for-all/careers-fairs/#section6

Copy this entire link"https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6NqZI4E_XRAJ:http://jobs.efinancialcareers.co.uk/job-4000000001161721.htm%2Befinancialcareers+lse+imperial+vacancy+oxford+cambridge&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=33E&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&ct=clnk"

http://jobs.efinancialcareers.co.uk/job-4000000001170507.htm

LSE is very well known and admired in the US. It is a very, very, very small institution that has produced a ridiculous amount of Nobel prize winners in economics. It has educated one of the most famous US presidents (JFK). And a few of the Kennedy family members have also attended LSE. The Kennedys are the closest thing you will come to as a royal family in the US. LSE has produced a few billionaires like George Soros. It has also produced several senior US public officials and white house officials including economic advisors to a few US presidents.

LSE is so popular in the US that in one of the top TV programmes, the West Wing, the supposedly highly intellectual President was created as a character who studied economics at LSE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Bartlet

So when it comes to being known in the USA, LSE is only behind Oxbridge. This is evident by the number of Marshall Scholars that choose LSE to study in:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#13802115

LSE is more prestigious and better known than Warwick around the world and the UK.
(edited 11 years ago)
Interesting links, but these few and specific examples don't prove anything. They also don't list Harvard on them, and you cannot seriously argue that LSE has more prestige than Harvard.

Can anyone except LutherVan actually confirm that going to Warwick as opposed to Imperial closes doors?
Reply 77
Interesting links, but these few and specific examples don't prove anything. They also don't list Harvard on them, and you cannot seriously argue that LSE has more prestige than Harvard.

Can anyone except LutherVan actually confirm that going to Warwick as opposed to Imperial closes doors?

You are really a self-denial joker.

I have looked at your previous posts and it seems you are in a delusional phase trying to state Warwick is the next best thing after Oxbridge. You even claimed Warwick is the next most prestigious university for Maths after Cambridge. Better than Oxford and Imperial? That is a joke.

Why does the links have to list Harvard if the target unis are European universities? Harvard is now an European university?

I have looked at your previous posts and it seems you are in a delusional phase trying to state Warwick is the next best thing after Oxbridge. You even claimed Warwick is the next most prestigious university for Maths after Cambridge. Better than Oxford and Imperial? That is a joke.

A joke? COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial) are the best unis for math in the UK, there is no controversy about that. As a Warwick student, I will of course say that it is better than our rivals, but that is more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. For math, we are all more or less equal.

What do you study if I may inquire?
A joke? COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial) are the best unis for math in the UK, there is no controversy about that. As a Warwick student, I will of course say that it is better than our rivals, but that is more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. For math, we are all more or less equal.

What do you study if I may inquire?

He's a troll, he still doing GCSEs no doubt.

Quick Reply

Latest