The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A quick question: Does anyone know if we need a research point to back up every point you make.

e.g. If I say that the economy could effect the culture of a business. Do I need a research to back that up or a logical argument would work?
Reply 21
Original post by dan94adibi
A quick question: Does anyone know if we need a research point to back up every point you make.

e.g. If I say that the economy could effect the culture of a business. Do I need a research to back that up or a logical argument would work?

you may get marks but non for application. I dont think you should do it unless you really cannot think of any other point which you have evidence from your research for.
Reply 22
You should look at the tutor2u website and learn how you should answer a 40 marker.

I have been on there but everything seems all over. Do you have a link? It would help a lot :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Jackabc
I have been on there but everything seems all over. Do you have a link? It would help a lot :smile:

Have a look at this http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/practising-buss4-exam-technique-colour-your-way-to-success
Reply 24
Original post by arnoob
Our teacher gave us a list of companies to research:
Ikea, Royal Mail, Amazon/Zappos, Nokia, Sony, Starbucks, Tata Group, Samsung, John Lewis Partnership and Southwest Airlines.

What type of culture would you say Amazon, Starbucks and John Lewis have?
What type of culture would you say Amazon, Starbucks and John Lewis have?

For Amazon I would mention the CEO , here are some useful links : http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/16/jeff-bezos-amazon/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeanders/2012/04/04/bezos-tips/

For Starbucks mention how Howard Schultz turned the company around and you can also relate them to business ethics due to their tax avoidance scandal

I haven't looked at John Lewis yet :colondollar:
Reply 27
Original post by arnoob
For Amazon I would mention the CEO , here are some useful links : http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/16/jeff-bezos-amazon/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeanders/2012/04/04/bezos-tips/

For Starbucks mention how Howard Schultz turned the company around and you can also relate them to business ethics due to their tax avoidance scandal

I haven't looked at John Lewis yet :colondollar:

Cheers mate.
Had a quick look at John Lewis. They seem to have a mixture of task and power culture. Rewarding employees through profit sharing schemes.
Reply 28
Ehh, this exam is way to ambiguous just looked at a model answer and this guy wrote 80% of his essay on steve jobs life but got 36/40 wtf
Reply 29
Original post by yaboy
Ehh, this exam is way to ambiguous just looked at a model answer and this guy wrote 80% of his essay on steve jobs life but got 36/40 wtf[/QUOT

I'd be so sorted if it was on Steve Jobs's life.
Reply 30
[QUOTE="xxm;42098116"]
Original post by yaboy
Ehh, this exam is way to ambiguous just looked at a model answer and this guy wrote 80% of his essay on steve jobs life but got 36/40 wtf[/QUOT

I'd be so sorted if it was on Steve Jobs's life.

This has gonna to be the hardest 69ums ive ever had to get.
Reply 31
[QUOTE="yaboy;42098504"]
Original post by xxm

69 for an A? I need about that too. Luckily all I need is 38 ums for a B, which I'd be happy with.
Reply 32
[QUOTE="xxm;42098912"]
Original post by yaboy

69 for an A? I need about that too. Luckily all I need is 38 ums for a B, which I'd be happy with.

yeh, I need an A and not really started any revision for business.
[QUOTE="yaboy;42098504"]
Original post by xxm

What :O I need 67 UMS marks for a B and I'm re-sitting unit 3 too :s-smilie:
Reply 34
Just started my research for this and I'm currently doing Amazon. I've got the mission statement, CEO, and I know what culture it is but what more do I need?
Reply 35

i think its best if you have points to back yourself up, if you put things down without saying 'Why' then the examiner probably wont score very highly... i always find, unless you're really running out of things to say then just add these more broad comments, whereas if you do have enough to say... then just steer clear :smile:
I found this website for the research of different businesses. Don't know if it's useful as not looked at yet but here are the link:

http://zigzageducation.co.uk/downloads/Business/buss4/5068-websites.html
Reply 37
How many different type of firms do we have to mention to ensure a high grade?
Reply 38
I think it is important not only to know examples of the business's culture, what effects it, etc. But you also need to have so facts and figures to support the arguments you make. For example you may say that Barclay's new manager changing the culture of the bank has improved the performance. But then go onto to support this with financial facts, such as their profit figures improving. You can then evaluate this by saying that the changes in profits may not be anything to do with the change in business culture, but may be a result of external changes, and mention some economic or political factors.

I think it's really important not just to make short points and supporting them with evidence, if you analyse and evaluate each point in great depth it will enable you to meet the top analyse marks
I think if somebody has any example questions for Section A if they could put them on here would be helpful! Because I need to start doing some mock essays for Section A but I just dont know what they questions could be!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending