The Student Room Group

Sick of lad culture

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LewisG123
In fairness you don't really have any right to drink a half pint, I'm not actually sure why pubs serve them; if you don't want a pint you buy a bottle of beer or a whiskey.

The logic that drinking excessively is masculine, therefore a void of a masculine behaviour makes you more womanly

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand the logic, I'm saying it's stupid. At its worst, it's intimidating to younger or more sensitive males who might genuinely start questioning their sexuality and social status. I've seen it happen to friends before.

Why do I have no right to get a half pint? I can get a small or large coke, it's the same principle. You wouldn't order twice as much food as you wanted because everyone else was doing it, so why have to get a drink twice as much as you can handle? What if I don't want a bottle of beer or a whiskey today, what if I just want some orange juice because I've got a banging headache?

Drinking excessively is just a way of beating your chest. I would have thought something like standing up for yourself, taking responsibility and looking after your health would be more 'masculine', or just more mature.
Yes it's fun, but it's not funny if someone's made to feel inferior because of it beyond the pub.
Reply 21
I've never ordered a half in my life.
If you want to switch to soft drinks then go for it - noone will think any less of you. But don't order half a pint and sit there like some limp wristed knob jockey with a little baby glass.
Original post by Redolent
One of my favourite things to say when I'm drunk and surrounded by other drunk guys -

"Let's be completely honest guys, alcopops do taste nicer than beer."

The subsequent cognitive dissonance between their drunken desire to be truthful/straight-forward and the social pressure to give the "manly" answer is always amusing to watch.

Only if you drink ****ty lager and try and pass it off as beer.

People who drink lager like carling, carlesberg and fosters for any reason other than the price are just as bad as half pinters.
Original post by Riku
I understand the logic, I'm saying it's stupid. At its worst, it's intimidating to younger or more sensitive males who might genuinely start questioning their sexuality and social status. I've seen it happen to friends before.

Why do I have no right to get a half pint? I can get a small or large coke, it's the same principle. You wouldn't order twice as much food as you wanted because everyone else was doing it, so why have to get a drink twice as much as you can handle? What if I don't want a bottle of beer or a whiskey today, what if I just want some orange juice because I've got a banging headache?

Drinking excessively is just a way of beating your chest. I would have thought something like standing up for yourself, taking responsibility and looking after your health would be more 'masculine', or just more mature.
Yes it's fun, but it's not funny if someone's made to feel inferior because of it beyond the pub.

:ditto: Totally agree.
Reply 24
Original post by blue n white army

People who drink lager like carling, carlesberg and fosters for any reason other than the price are just as bad as half pinters.

Let's be honest, beer is absolute swill and no one drinks it for the taste.
Original post by Dark Horse
Let's be honest, beer is absolute swill and no one drinks it for the taste.

Not a big real ale drinker then?

I drink things like fosters, carlin etc before a night out cos it goes down easy and is cheap not a fan of the taste though.

When i'm go for casual pints (especially when i'm back home) i absolutely love real ales- love the taste of them.
Reply 26
Not a big real ale drinker then?

I drink things like fosters, carlin etc before a night out cos it goes down easy and is cheap not a fan of the taste though.

When i'm go for casual pints (especially when i'm back home) i absolutely love real ales- love the taste of them.

I don't drink at all but if I did I wouldn't drink pints of beer or lager tbh.
Reply 27
Original post by JC.
I've never ordered a half in my life.
If you want to switch to soft drinks then go for it - noone will think any less of you. But don't order half a pint and sit there like some limp wristed knob jockey with a little baby glass.

Fair enough, halves look silly. But ordering soft drinks would be the same thing as getting a half in their eyes. With the types of people I'm talking about, if you're not forever on the lash or hungover, you're not one of them, simple.
Reply 28

It all tastes like grotty old yeast to me
Reply 29
Original post by Riku

Well what's the point in a half pint, most people aren't going to go to a pub and get one half pint and that's it, if you're just going to get another then you may as well get a pint.

I don't think many 18 or 19 year olds question their sexuality because a few people who are a couple of steps back in their evolution call them "queer".

Well that's not buying a half pint then is it?

I think it only effects people who take it seriously, it's like any ignorant behaviour; just ignore it

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are some people out there who wouldn't give a **** what drink you buy. Hang out with them.

The whole lad culture thing is getting so boring and I don't hang out with people like that anymore.
Reply 31
Don't forget this isn't something unique to males, plenty of females do it to so blaming it on masculinity may not be correct. My two closest friends at uni are female and both engage in behaviour which would be called lad culture if they were guys. One regularly engages in aggressive banter (far more than most guys I know) and the other drinks excessively and goes after guys for the challenge or just gets with many guys every time we go out.
Lad culture = how to inflate your ego so big you can't get through the door/ showing off/ being cocky/ having no self respect/ belittling others because they only want to drink a half pint.

ffs people....
knight_happykra.jpg

I'd recommend pulling up a chair and watching the witless trying to outwit each other. It's a lot of fun.
I think having a high level of inhibitions is akin to manliness. Men are reserved folk, slow to anger, slow to amuse, always thinking. This is why alcoholism is associated with manliness; because it should be. It allows us to be children again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Riku
Fair enough, halves look silly. But ordering soft drinks would be the same thing as getting a half in their eyes. With the types of people I'm talking about, if you're not forever on the lash or hungover, you're not one of them, simple.

I think that's got more to do with the folk you choose to hang out with than anything else! :wink:
Reply 36
Original post by The_Last_Melon
I think having a high level of inhibitions is akin to manliness. Men are reserved folk, slow to anger, slow to amuse, always thinking. This is why alcoholism is associated with manliness; because it should be. It allows us to be children again.

What?
Original post by Dark Horse
What?

lol iunno
Reply 38
Sounds like you're hanging around the wrong people. There are plenty of guys who dont think like this
Reply 39
Original post by Lexi99
Sounds like you're hanging around the wrong people. There are plenty of guys who dont think like this

WHERE?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending