The Student Room Group

Why is anime so popular nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purplerainn
So then what's the point of this thread?

To label anime based on the behavior and taste of the younger fanbase, all the while imagining yourself to be superior to everyone here?

The point of this thread was to understand why anime became so popular. You however said "Watch Death Note, then tell me anime is rubbish and for losers" I didn't say it was rubbish and I certainly did not call anyone a loser. You suggested a film and I expressed my opinion of it which was your intention of that statement was it not? Or did you just think that nobody would give a response except for one that went in your favour?

Then you start to imply that I am labeling things based on the younger fanbase and then pulling this statement "imagining yourself to be superior to everyone here?" from seemingly out of the blue and entirely off topic might I add and which is a complete lie that you have just made up.

And excuse me if I have somehow offended you and caused you to implement such things and if I have in any way upset you about the negative rating of your film then I express my appologies. Perhaps you didn't understand when I said "be it in anime", what I meant by that was that specific genre of anime not the whole thing in it's entirety.
As a lot of people have already mentioned, that because of availability as a result of the Internet it became incredibly easy to get free access to many anime. Once people break into anime, they generally go explore more they feel they may like.

Anime itself is very popular because of the plethora of different story lines, themes and ideas they explore. Their really is not a genre anime has not touched and explored in detail. People have varied opinion on which anime is good and which are not, but their is certainly something for everyone, that they will love watching.

I believe it is wholly unfair to put down and criticise any form of media, or anything really, because of a few examples you have watched/heard about (such as death note, which even if you do not like their is plenty more anime which you will enjoy) or based on the fandom. Every fandom has one or two extremely enthusiastic members, that does not make the content any less good or less worth watching.

Such trivial matters should not put people off anime, and I would encourage anyone who has not watched any, to at least explore the genre and see why many people love it so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IlexBlue
But you're using them as the basis for your impression of anime, when most anime fans would laugh at you if you said you watched those.

To the rest of the thread, it's extremely ignorant of you to disparage something you know nothing about. The majority of the best and most popular anime doesn't contain disturbing or sexual content, nor are all fans the terrifying die-hards you spot once in a while. The story lines can actually be engaging and interesting, with well-developed plots and characters that couldn't be further from the generic "cartoon" term under which the likes of Spongebob and Pokemon are lumped. Most of the fans are regular, well-adjusted individuals who just enjoy it for what it is without going mad over it. Just going off the 15 year olds who do nothing but watch and talk obsessively over it is like judging all of Sherlock's fans by the creepy teen girl fanbase that write Sherlock and John smut fanfiction.

My family - who are certainly not into anything even remotely Japan or animation related, let alone anime, or even foreign films in general - absolutely love Studio Ghibli's work and thought the Death Note films were great.

Just realised I completely reiterated what you just said :smile: But I agree with all your opinions, as anime have had the best story lines, character developments, plots etc I have seen in any media thus far.

But I would add that unlike the western view that cartoons are for children, this is certainly not the case in anime. Some are obviously aimed at children (cardcaptors being a prime example) but most have very mature (and by that I do not mean sexual) themes and ideas which are made to engage a wide audience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
I started watching Death Note a few years ago, but I actually found it a bit boring. Can't remember how many episodes I watched, I think maybe it was about 20? Used to like quite a few others though. Not so much into it these days.

I think sometimes people overestimate how popular anime is in Japan. Obviously it's more widespread in Japan, but I've heard it's still somewhat of a subculture associated people who are geeky and socially awkward.
Original post by sheldorbaggins
I have noticed an incline in the amount of people who watch this type of Japanese cartoon. Until 2011 I had never heard of it (I realised later that this was programmes similar to pokemon) until one person began to watch it and since then the numbers of people who watch it have escalated and I began to notice that it was creeping up in tv genres which until then I had not noticed.

It was not long after that people were dressing up as their favourite characters (with many young teenagers dressed rather inappropriately) and going to anime conventions and it was astonishing by how many people had become obsessed with it all. From what I've heard the storylines are quite confusing and there is some very disturbing sexual content.

Why do you think it has suddenly become so popular? It's always been about but when did it begin to get recognised on a larger scale?

firstly pokemon IS an anime not like an anime, so is yu-gi-oh (heavily changed from the japanese), gx and 5ds, bakugan is an anime as is dragon ball Z. Anime is nothing new a TV show called G-force is an anime, Samurai pizza cats - anime and so i believe was voltron.

Upon reading the plot summary I would be inclined give this film a miss. Honestly it sounds dark, dreary and depressing. Watching any film about a person who finds a book that when you write someones name in it they die and having the main character die at the end is enough to unsettle anyone. Even the title is off putting. I'm sorry but I don't seem to share your taste in film, be it in anime or anything else.

Its a series as well as movies. There is a live action version (shudders), watch the actual anime, its a very good psychological thriller as the protagonist gradually slips further and further down the route of god complex and insanity. Wolfs rain is another powerful one. However if you dont want dark and dreary then you can get others that are much more light hearted. Anime has something for everyone.

Yes some of them are very sexual but not all. As for popularity well each to thier own.
I have noticed an incline in the amount of people who watch this type of Japanese cartoon. Until 2011 I had never heard of it (I realised later that this was programmes similar to pokemon) until one person began to watch it and since then the numbers of people who watch it have escalated and I began to notice that it was creeping up in tv genres which until then I had not noticed.

It was not long after that people were dressing up as their favourite characters (with many young teenagers dressed rather inappropriately) and going to anime conventions and it was astonishing by how many people had become obsessed with it all. From what I've heard the storylines are quite confusing and there is some very disturbing sexual content.

Why do you think it has suddenly become so popular? It's always been about but when did it begin to get recognised on a larger scale?

Not all of it... obviously your friends are into the sexual kind

cosplayers aren't dressed in appropriately at all..?
Reply 26
Kids watch Anime
Adults watch Manga
Perverts watch Hentai

End of lesson Grasshopper.
Reply 27
I adore anime and have liked it for quite a while. I agree with the comments about escapism because I probably am one of those people :P me and my bf have been watching pokemon from episode 1 and we love it! Its just a thing that culture picked up on it - remember when gaming and Dr. Martens were just for geeks & skinheads? Its a fact that stuff cones and goes - don't let it bother you ^^

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB526
Reply 28
I've noticed it too, one of my friends from uni cosplays and goes to conventions quite a lot, she's even got a tattoo of a symbol from an anime show and a geisha, I used to be obsessed with some anime and manga when I was little but for some reason I've just stopped reading/watching it.
Original post by Rarrgh
Started with Death Note, now watched around 200 different anime series, caught up with all the major one's and got around 50 on the to watch list.
Death Note is a great break in anime, but having watched so many, I can certainly say they are some really amazing anime's which are on par if not better than Death Note.

I definitely agree, although the plot and the characters were absolutely amazing and witnessing a battle between the smartest highschool student in Japan against the best detective in the world was brilliant. I must say that and Code Geass were the 2 best shows I've ever seen.
Original post by Hylean
To be honest, I don't get the "Death Note" craze, not when things like "Neon Genesis Evangelion" exist and are by far the better stories, but that is just me.

I love manga and animé. Beautiful artwork and wonderful stories. What more could you ask for.

This.
Reply 31
I love anime and always have since I was a young child. Those people you see thinking that they're japanese saying that they're "proud to be otakus", behaving like absolute retards and only watch naruto or "cutesy" anime are weaboos. You shouldn't group all anime fans together. In japan, being an otaku is a social stigma. It's not regarded as cool like some of these people like to believe :erm:

I've watched some absolutely amazing animes. They were very deep, bringing forth some real life issues. When you look past naruto, and all of the other generic anime you'll come across some really stunning series with intriguing plot lines. I genuinely laugh at people who claim they're anime fans when all they've watched is pokemon and the like.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
This.

This what?
Anime has been popular in the west since the 90/00s with Pokemon and DBZ.

In fact some would argue that anime is not as popular as it was during the peak of 2004-2008/9. Toonami being removed of TV and the decline of Cartoon Network, (although in the US Toonami has been recently restored on adult swim).

HOWEVER, the online anime and manga community has thrived on YouTube, FB and many anime and manga viewing sites.

Overall, anime and manga has always been popular over sees it has gone through a quite spot in the west, but seems to be picking up again!! :h:
I was aware of it when I was about 13 so that's well over 10 years... It's popularity isn't a new thing. I'm still not even sure what it is... I mean, is it literally just cartoons? Or are they for adults?
Reply 35
Go watch Cowboy Bebop :colonhash: that ought to do it

I also approve of Hellsing :sogood:
Original post by Artymess
Go watch Cowboy Bebop :colonhash: that ought to do it

I also approve of Hellsing :sogood:

That's quite interesting, I'll take a look into Cowboy Bebop now. I've been meaning to get around to watch it for a while now. Between Code Geass and Death Note, I can confidently say those 2 are the best shows I've seen, and beat any TV show out there.
Reply 37
Original post by Eloades11
That's quite interesting, I'll take a look into Cowboy Bebop now. I've been meaning to get around to watch it for a while now. Between Code Geass and Death Note, I can confidently say those 2 are the best shows I've seen, and beat any TV show out there.

In recent years there's been so much good TV though - House, Dexter, Suits, etc
Anime's a bit different, but still fantastic. Surprised you haven't watched Cowboy Bebop before - it's one of the pinnacles of good anime :yy:
Reply 38
It's due to anime cartoons appearing. No matter how terribly drawn or written, Pokemon introduced kids to anime and general Japanese quirks, then Digimon showed up for a few minutes, then Sonic got an anime and there was DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh, all targeted at kids over here. If you make it a part of childhood, it'll grow in popularity.

Adults are also being introduced to it through video games. Japan has a massive share of the market, so we're seeing a lot of games that aren't anime, might not even be Japanese in theme, but will have aspects that are very Japanese. A couple of decades ago, games were too simple to convey this, we just had the odd obscure anime game so it didn't really make an impact. When something like Catherine comes out, even if it's average, people take notice because it's different.

Also probably a simple case of something become more popular as it gets more popular.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
Gravity defying bewbies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending