The Student Room Group

physics 1 for OCR by gurinder chadha & david sang

hellooo. my college emailed me saying that I need to get this book.I was just wondering if anyone else has this book. im planning to buy it amazon for my AS revision. so is it a revision guide or a study guide?? I need some sort of study guide which explains everything just like how the OCR A AS physics book (by Robert hutchings & roger Hackett) does. and is this book any good? Im guessing it has chapter review questions aswell??
Reply 1
The book is decent, not fantastic. It does have end-of-chapter questions taken from past papers. Hints and answers are given either at the back of the book or, if you are using the CD, upon clicking the relevant icons. There are very basic questions throughout the chapters as well, but not enough in my opinion.

The book is written specifically for the course so it should have more or less all that you need. Having said that, I would recommend finding as many past papers/questions as you can to supplement the questions in the book. I used the A2 book by the same authors and easily managed an A* last year, so it can't be that bad.
Reply 2
Original post by Brister
The book is decent, not fantastic. It does have end-of-chapter questions taken from past papers. Hints and answers are given either at the back of the book or, if you are using the CD, upon clicking the relevant icons. There are very basic questions throughout the chapters as well, but not enough in my opinion.

The book is written specifically for the course so it should have more or less all that you need. Having said that, I would recommend finding as many past papers/questions as you can to supplement the questions in the book. I used the A2 book by the same authors and easily managed an A* last year, so it can't be that bad.

wow awesome! you got an A*

So im guessing then this book is more of a classroom work book? kind of like the gcse textbooks we used in additional science. is it best to also get the OCR A AS study guide??
Reply 3
Original post by naseem hossen
wow awesome! you got an A*

So im guessing then this book is more of a classroom work book? kind of like the gcse textbooks we used in additional science. is it best to also get the OCR A AS study guide??

In my opinion you don't really need to get the study guide along with the book. It has chapter summaries anyway, and the topics are easy enough to find. You can always make your own notes, too, which I think is often more beneficial than a study guide written by someone else.

Ultimately, I think the key to getting a good result is doing lots of questions. It helps you to understand the kind of answers they are looking for and you learn about your strengths/weaknesses. What matters in the exam is how good you are, not how good your textbook is :smile:
Reply 4
thanks for your help!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
hellooo. my college emailed me saying that I need to get this book.I was just wondering if anyone else has this book. im planning to buy it amazon for my AS revision. so is it a revision guide or a study guide?? I need some sort of study guide which explains everything just like how the OCR A AS physics book (by Robert hutchings & roger Hackett) does. and is this book any good? Im guessing it has chapter review questions aswell??

The author, Gurinder Chada, used to be my teacher:P
Reply 6
Original post by Euannn
The author, Gurinder Chada, used to be my teacher:P

WOW, very random but i didnt expect that

whats he like?
Reply 7
WOW, very random but i didnt expect that

whats he like?

Hes retired now. Very good teacher, and very funny!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah what a coincidence! My physics teacher is the guy that replaced him when he retired!
Reply 9
Original post by daveismyname
Ah what a coincidence! My physics teacher is the guy that replaced him when he retired!

Do you go to New College?
Reply 10
Original post by Brister

What in your opinion is a better or fantastic book ? Thanks.
Reply 11
hi there,
I was wondering if anyone had a pdf version or the electronic version of the Physics 2 for OCR, cambridge by Gurinder Chadha. Would it be possible for anyone to share it with me??

Quick Reply

Latest