The Student Room Group

North Korea (Someone please explain...)

- What is the reason for North Korea's "distrust" in the outside world?

- Why IS the country so restricted?

- Finally, why are tourists only allowed in certain parts of the country and even then, with a guide. Is it virtually impossible to settle in North Korea or something?

I know that communism is prominent in the country, but that's the same for China, and China isn't as strict as DPRK....

Scroll to see replies

China went through a reformation a couple of decades back though, and isn't really communist in the strictest sense. A lot of the country runs on capitalistic principles. That is part of the reason why China has been booming in recent years and North Korea hasn't, NK has stuck to its communist principles. I think part of the reason it is so closed off is that the NK establishment does not want North Korean people to see what the outside world is really like, and instead just swallow the propaganda that NK is the best place in the world. They need to maintain that illusion if they want to keep hold of power.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply :smile:, but surely eventually, the real picture will leak out and all the NK people will rebel or something?
Also, when Russia was the USSR, I swear the communism there wasn't nearly as strong as the communism present in NK... (correct me if I'm wrong).
Reply 3
Anyone ?
Reply 4
Original post by Heidihi7894
NK has stuck to its communist principles.

Technically, but they have abandoned all references to Marxism-Leninism, replacing it instead with Juche, a sort of thinly veiled formula for a nationalist dictatorship.

Original post by tohaaaa

- Finally, why are tourists only allowed in certain parts of the country and even then, with a guide. Is it virtually impossible to settle in North Korea or something?

I know that communism is prominent in the country, but that's the same for China, and China isn't as strict as DPRK....

I believe that these three questions are all linked. The ruling elite families in DRPK can hang onto power if they convince their country's population that any alternative is evil and malicious. To prevent their people from finding out the truth, they place heavy restrictions on access to information, tourism, and diplomacy. It's effectively a mechanism to preserve the idea in North Korea that Juche is the way forward and the rest of the world is out to get them.
We distrust them because they spent the entire weekend (two weekends ago) threatening to nuke Alaska (on their somewhat generous assumption that they're ICBM's will even reach that far, which many doubt.) That and the fact that Kim Jong Il claimed (and had the media publicise that) he completed a world standard golf course in 38 under par (http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2011/12/19/worlds-greatest-golfer-dies-farewell-kim-jong-il/ )
Reply 6
I think the Americans and allies stamping on ten in the war didn't help plus the most heavily fortified border in the world is there, I can see why they're untrusting but I can also see why it'd be good for the world if they conveniently disappeared...
Reply 7
Original post by tohaaaa
Thanks for the reply :smile:, but surely eventually, the real picture will leak out and all the NK people will rebel or something?
Also, when Russia was the USSR, I swear the communism there wasn't nearly as strong as the communism present in NK... (correct me if I'm wrong).

You might find this interesting:

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21571421-even-another-nuclear-provocation-looms-hope-glimmers-worlds-most-oppressed-people
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies everyone. 😎

I'm still confused though as to WHY a country would impose such restrictions upon its people. Surely a country where people can access information would be more intellectual and more resourceful than a country who's people cannot access vast information??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jumblehunter
We distrust them because they spent the entire weekend (two weekends ago) threatening to nuke Alaska (on their somewhat generous assumption that they're ICBM's will even reach that far, which many doubt.) That and the fact that Kim Jong Il claimed (and had the media publicise that) he completed a world standard golf course in 38 under par (http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2011/12/19/worlds-greatest-golfer-dies-farewell-kim-jong-il/ )

38 under par??? How did he manage that???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tohaaaa
Thanks for the replies everyone. ������

I'm still confused though as to WHY a country would impose such restrictions upon its people. Surely a country where people can access information would be more intellectual and more resourceful than a country who's people cannot access vast information??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because North Korea's rulers don't care about the North Korean people, only their own grip on power. If the NK people are less intellectual they are easier to control, and so it is easier to maintain that grip on power and enjoy an easier life at the expense of the NK people. Most rulers and politicians are self serving and only pretend to represent the interests of others for their own career advancements, it is just in some countries <cough> politicians have developed more subtle ways of going about it.
North Korea is a Stalinist wasteland stuck in the 1950's. Its the closest thing to a dystopian society we know of, the people are constantly misinformed by the state propaganda machine (the NK people think they won the last world cup). It is almost completely isolated from the rest of the world since the collapse of the USSR. China is it's only real friend but even they are getting pretty fed up with NK's antics. There is also a personality cult around the members of the ruling Kim family. Lastly NK is hell bent on building a nuclear missile as it believes if it has this other nations will take it seriously and not look at it as it truly is. Also it is constantly aggressive to South Korea and the US, its the little kid in the playground who tries to start a fight with everyone to be taken seriously, but if it did get in to a fight it wouldn't end well for NK.

In short I cannot recommend a holiday to North Korea.
Reply 12
Original post by tohaaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the North Korean population was adequately educated, and had access to information about the outside world they would quickly realise that their rulers are corrupt and their country broken.

By keeping the country shut of from the rest of the world their leaders can create a myth that NK is the greatest country on earth and everyone else is evil.
Original post by tohaaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably the same way he managed to feature at the top of North Koreas Sexiest 100 list ( http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/27/world/la-fg-wn-peoples-daily-mistakes-the-onion-for-serious-newspaper-20121127 ) ... By bribing the media. Either that or he's just a really talented and tragically misunderstood guy.
Reply 14
Original post by tohaaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was his first time playing too, really talented guy.

Another little known fact is that he was was born inside of a log cabin beneath Korea's most sacred mountain, triggering a spontaneous transition from winter to summer, a shooting star and a double rainbow.
Reply 15
Original post by miser

Another little known fact is that he was was born inside of a log cabin beneath Korea's most sacred mountain, triggering a spontaneous transition from winter to summer, a shooting star and a double rainbow.

Seems legit.

So, what exactly can or cannot people/tourists say or do, I am aware of the no phone rule (or has that been lifted?)..... I'm also aware of the No Photographs of Military Activity.....

What other stuff are people not allowed to do/say there?

Also, I am also aware DPRK is also a scenic country, how does one go about getting in to the country as I also hear, this is quite difficult as well.
Reply 16
Original post by tohaaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, any country would be more resourcefull and intelletually advanced given those circumstances and that is what would risk the hegemony of the ruling regime. Surely an intellectually aware people wouldn't want the backward, oppressive regime. They maintain power by keeping the people oblivious to the outside world. Would you be able to want something that you aren't aware of, that you don't know about?
Original post by tohaaaa

I have never understood why people would choose NK as their holiday destination. Unless they are spies.
Reply 18
Original post by nimrodstower
I have never understood why people would choose NK as their holiday destination. Unless they are spies.

hahah.....

NK is a actually quite scenic from what I've seen/heard/read.
Original post by miser

Wow, I actually hadn't heard of that one (I guess every day's a school day huh) although the double rainbow thing could be legit because every rainbow has another rainbow beheath it, its just really really faint. Or I could just be imagining ****.

Quick Reply

Latest