The Student Room Group

Medicine Personal Statement Help

So basically I'm trying to write my personal statement and have absolutely no idea how to start it off.
I want to include something to do with my expeditions to The Gambia and Swaziland and how the conditions in these countries pushed me to pursue medicine. so far I have these:
"Being part of a scouting expedition to The Gambia over Easter finalised my decision to study medicine."
"
In 2009 I was fortunate enough to gain a place on a Scouting expedition to Swaziland. This expedition began a landslide of life changing decisions which lead me to a final conclusion: I wanted to be a Doctor."
"
Through scouting expeditions to The Gambia and Swaziland I learned to appreciate the many problems living a life deprived of medical aid entails."

Which is most captivating? and any other recommendations?
thanks for any help :smile:
Hello there, personally I find the second one to be my favorite, however it is important in a personal statement to be as concise as possible, and not to make it too wordy.

One piece of advice. I'd try to keep bits of text you plan to use in your PS off the student room. Others can use it, and it may be detected later as plagiarism. If you want to get help I'd write to the PS helpers.

Edit: By the way, remember to say HOW your trip to these places affected your decision to become a doctor.
(edited 11 years ago)
I prefer the third one, but then maybe a link to that deciding you want to do medicine. I don't like the second one too much as it sounds too dramatic, and it might interrupt the flow a bit?

But yeah, I'd ask your teachers to check, or your friends so people don't copy you, sounds good though, looks like you'll have plenty to talk about!

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending