The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by yugiohtheawesome
I was just reading the Cold Heaven and trying to think about what to say on structure and form, but I'm stumped :frown: Can anyone help me out please? I know it's in iambic tetrameter and it has a chiasmus to highlight the Airman's solitude, but is there anything else I could say?

Not sure if you're talking about Cold Heaven or Irish Airman here, but if it's Airman I'd just say the conistent iambic tetrameter, ABAB rhyme scheme and conventional structure represent the consistency of the airman's life - and maybe also the mundanity. For The Cold Heaven there's not much you can say about meter and rhyme scheme because it seems to change sporadically, so you could link that to the extreme chaos that is going on throughout the poem from the apocalyptic imagery :smile:
I dont know if people who are doing Yeats have already seen this website but im resiting this exam after doing it in Jan 2012 and i wish i knew about this website when i did it back then

http://aterriblebeautyisborn.com

for anyone who is doing last minute cramming like me, this is perfect to skim through everything i need to know!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by kathryn007
I dont know if people who are doing Yeats have already seen this website but im resiting this exam after doing it in Jan 2012 and i wish i knew about this website when i did it back then

http://aterriblebeautyisborn.com

for anyone who is doing last minute cramming like me, this is perfect to skim through everything i need to know!

Yeah I've come across this website before, so helpful, thanks for the reminder!
It also predicts that this Yeats poem will be on Easter 1916, and I believe that they correctly guessed Wild Swans last year. Obviously don't neglect revising the other poems though :tongue:

Just wondering, does anyone have any predictions for the Frankenstein theme?
Original post by NiallD
Not sure if you're talking about Cold Heaven or Irish Airman here, but if it's Airman I'd just say the conistent iambic tetrameter, ABAB rhyme scheme and conventional structure represent the consistency of the airman's life - and maybe also the mundanity. For The Cold Heaven there's not much you can say about meter and rhyme scheme because it seems to change sporadically, so you could link that to the extreme chaos that is going on throughout the poem from the apocalyptic imagery :smile:

Thanks, sorry for being confusing, I was talking about the Irish Airman. I was wondering, for September 1913, what poems can we link it too? Obviously there's Easter 1916 and the Airman, The Fisherman, and the Second Coming but can it be linked to anything else?
Thanks, sorry for being confusing, I was talking about the Irish Airman. I was wondering, for September 1913, what poems can we link it too? Obviously there's Easter 1916 and the Airman, The Fisherman, and the Second Coming but can it be linked to anything else?

I think the only other one worth linking it to is In Memory of.., the 'delirium of the brave' could be linked to the 'vague Utopia' in that poem. But the ones you have listed would be enough for the exam, you only need 4/5 other poems to compare too.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to analyse structure and form in Dorian Gray?
I can think of a few isolated points, but it would be VERY difficult for me to include it in that question on moral and spiritual corruption (Jan 2013).
Any ideas? x
Reply 166
Original post by kathryn007
I think the only other one worth linking it to is In Memory of.., the 'delirium of the brave' could be linked to the 'vague Utopia' in that poem. But the ones you have listed would be enough for the exam, you only need 4/5 other poems to compare too.

Does it really have to be 4/5? My teacher said 3 would be enough. The answer's supposed to be 75% based on the poem you're given, and 25% on other poems so 4/5 seems a bit excessive in that case, unless some of them were really brief crossovers.
Also guys, how many paragraphs would you say for each essay?

I've been doing four, but now thinking that maybe three (with a good intro + conclusion + sufficient time to plan for a good argument) would be better? What are your thoughts? X
Reply 168
Any Frankenstein people here? Thoughts on how to do v. well in the franky exam?
Reply 169
Just to add my suggestion for the Yeats, a teacher at my school who last year got the poem correct, said that he thinks it'll be Leda/Easter/In Memory Of (in order of likelihood there won;t be all 3 ofc!) with an outside chance of Sailing. Like many I personally hope its Easter as the political theme is easier to link to etc.

Also as previously mentioned Easter 1916 is what aterriblebeautyisborn has as the most likely poem with sailing 2nd and leda 3rd. easter 1916 would be bloody beautiful so heres hoping.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 170
Original post by GrandMasterChe
Just to add my suggestion for the Yeats, a teacher at my school who last year got the poem correct, said that he thinks it'll be Leda/Easter/In Memory Of with an outside chance of Sailing. Like many I personally hope its Easter as the political theme is easier to link to etc.

If he got the last year poem correct surely he must've predicted only one poem....now he's predicted 4...so which does he actually thing will be most likely to come up?
Reply 171
Original post by Lizy
If he got the last year poem correct surely he must've predicted only one poem....now he's predicted 4...so which does he actually thing will be most likely to come up?

He thinks Leda is the likeliest with Easter next, but aterriblebeautyisborn had wild swans at coole as first in its poll last year with 20% of the vote and this year it's the same but with Easter so I'm thinking it's gonna be Easter tbh.
Reply 172
Anybody keen to share quotes they're memorising for each theme + character on Frankenstein? Would be much appreciated
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to analyse structure and form in Dorian Gray?
I can think of a few isolated points, but it would be VERY difficult for me to include it in that question on moral and spiritual corruption (Jan 2013).
Any ideas? x

Hey I'm finding this hard too because we still have to mention language structure and form in the novel
- I basically only kno that Wilde uses epigrams for lord Henry, he uses free indirect speech for sibyls family in chapter 5 to convey the lower class ideal, also as part of structure you could mention his idea of time ( how he always mentions 18 years later, on the eve of his 38th birthday or a few weeks had passes) and of could argue this creates suspension and helps pace his degradation with ref to painting!! If u have anything else I would be grateful thanks :biggrin:
Hey good luck for exam tomorrow guys I'm doing Yeats and Dorian Gray - wud be useful if anyone has critical quotes on Dorian Gray - how many critics quotes do we need to kno roughly
Reply 175
Original post by GeneralStudent95
What novel and collection of poetry are you doing?

We are doing Frankenstein and WB Yeats :smile:

I'm doing Yeats too. His poems confuse me so much :s-smilie:
Reply 176
Original post by Piguy
Here's my notes and quotes for intertextuality and critics if that helps... Other two are quotes other people in my class (who bothered to do them for the last week) wrote up.

Wow! Thanks a lot! Currently re-reading Franky, think having the novel fresh in the mind is a big help. Then off to make notes on each theme + character and essay plans which thanks to you will mean I have a great resource to build on, thanks again !

BTW does anyone know what the A boundary is? Heard it was 88/100 last year from a post a few pages away. That's pretty damn high I thought A boundary was 80?
Reply 177
I was just reading the Cold Heaven and trying to think about what to say on structure and form, but I'm stumped :frown: Can anyone help me out please? I know it's in iambic tetrameter and it has a chiasmus to highlight the Airman's solitude, but is there anything else I could say?

Perhaps you could refer to the enjambment - due to the physical isolation the word 'season' is in could mabye reflect Yeats disconnection from the world. His life without Maud Gonne has led to his confusion and his inability to function mentally to the extent that he has lost track of time. It's probably wrong though.
Reply 178
If anyone has anyyyyy critics for Dorian Gray could you please help and and be kind enough to send them to me, in desperate urgent need :frown:((((((( thank you whoever replies!!!
Reply 179
Original post by GrandMasterChe
Wow! Thanks a lot! Currently re-reading Franky, think having the novel fresh in the mind is a big help. Then off to make notes on each theme + character and essay plans which thanks to you will mean I have a great resource to build on, thanks again !

BTW does anyone know what the A boundary is? Heard it was 88/100 last year from a post a few pages away. That's pretty damn high I thought A boundary was 80?

Yeah, it was pretty high last year (and boundaries for essay subjects don't usually change so much), although apparently examiners don't like to linger between bands when grading essays so that does work in a lot of people's favour (my teacher gave my Frankenstein mock 27/30, but then it got moderated up to 30 by the HoD who's an OCR examiner)

Boundaries June 2012:

Exam (out of 60) : 53 A, 46 B, 40 C, 34 D, 29 E

Coursework (/40): 35 A, 30 B, 26 C, 22 D, 18 E

source: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16472-unit-level-raw-mark-grade-boundaries-june-2012.pdf

On the bright side, because UMS always 'upscales' really high marks (and downscales lower scoring candidates), it does mean that if you got a really high mark for coursework, you don't need much for an A (40/40 in coursework means a solid C (44/60) in the Exam will get an A!)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending