The Student Room Group

really confused! please help about clinical psychology

Hi, I want to clinical psychology. I was looking at Kent's website and it offers a course on clinical psychology. But I thought you had to do the 3 year course on psychology first. Can someone help me please?
Reply 1
Hey.

I'm in my second year studying psychology and currently in the process of applying for the clinical doctorate course.

Basically, yes! You do need to do a degree before applying for the phd course. In addition to that, you need to get relevant experience (2years+) before you even get considered for an interview. It's a long process and a very competitive course, therefore experience is vital!
Reply 2
Original post by Hazz1
Hey.

I'm in my second year studying psychology and currently in the process of applying for the clinical doctorate course.

Basically, yes! You do need to do a degree before applying for the phd course. In addition to that, you need to get relevant experience (2years+) before you even get considered for an interview. It's a long process and a very competitive course, therefore experience is vital!

Hi! thanks, sorry i'm still confused then so what will happen if I apply for a course like this:
http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/48/applied-psychology-with-clinical-psychology#overview

or this:

http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/50/psychology-with-clinical-psychology#entry

sorry :colondollar:
Reply 3

Hiya, I did the Psychology with Clinical Psychology course at Kent. :smile:

As above, you do need to do the doctorate in Clinical Psychology after undergraduate to train as a Clinical Psychologist, and it is very competitive. Many people will spend some time getting relevant work experience before applying.

The Psychology with Clinical Psychology undergraduate course is a normal BPS-accredited undergraduate course, but it means that you are guaranteed the Clinical Psychology modules in your final year. The first two years contain the same modules for everybody, but in your final year you choose optional modules some. Clinical Psychology tends to be a very popular choice, but with the Psych with Clinical Psych course you will automatically be registered for those modules. :smile: So e.g. in my final year I did the compulsory modules (Stats & Practical, Applied Psychology, Final Year Project), the two Clinical Psychology modules, and two other optional modules (for me, Developmental Psychology and Forensic Psychology).

Hope that helps. :smile:
You may find this threat helpful at ClinPsy about the journey to becoming a clinical psychologist: http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=341

While it is competitive, it would help you if you get experience as a care assistant or similar role while you do your undergrad degree. When you graduate you will have an advantage when it comes to secure relevant work that you will need to apply to the DClinPsy.
Reply 5
Original post by Liv1204
Hiya, I did the Psychology with Clinical Psychology course at Kent. :smile:

As above, you do need to do the doctorate in Clinical Psychology after undergraduate to train as a Clinical Psychologist, and it is very competitive. Many people will spend some time getting relevant work experience before applying.

The Psychology with Clinical Psychology undergraduate course is a normal BPS-accredited undergraduate course, but it means that you are guaranteed the Clinical Psychology modules in your final year. The first two years contain the same modules for everybody, but in your final year you choose optional modules some. Clinical Psychology tends to be a very popular choice, but with the Psych with Clinical Psych course you will automatically be registered for those modules. :smile: So e.g. in my final year I did the compulsory modules (Stats & Practical, Applied Psychology, Final Year Project), the two Clinical Psychology modules, and two other optional modules (for me, Developmental Psychology and Forensic Psychology).

Hope that helps. :smile:

Original post by Lord Asriel
You may find this threat helpful at ClinPsy about the journey to becoming a clinical psychologist: http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=341

While it is competitive, it would help you if you get experience as a care assistant or similar role while you do your undergrad degree. When you graduate you will have an advantage when it comes to secure relevant work that you will need to apply to the DClinPsy.

Sorry for the late replies, thank you for all your help :smile: x
Reply 6
Hi, did you manage to figure it out?

I am so confused, I have had an offer from Kent to do the applied psychology with clinical psychology and also an offer from UWE to do the four year sandwich degree. I don't know where to go, as I love Bristol and really don't like Canterbury but love the course that Canterbury offers.

Any help guys?

Quick Reply

Latest