The Student Room Group

Please help me find the best dongle for me!

Hi, I really need help with finding a dongle. I have no idea what space or speed is best for me

Me:
I watch a lot of stuff on iPlayer, 4oD etc
I surf the 'net a lot
I use my laptop for Studying
I think I need about 12/13 months
I listen to music
All in all, I can probably spend 8-10 hours a day on the web.
But I don't, (at the moment) download films

What can you suggest? All of the 30 day rolling contracts only have little downloads, and their speed is quite slow
Reply 1
I assume by dongle you mean 3G/mobile broadband dongle ?

Is this going to be your only form of accessing the internet (or if it just for the occasional use when away from home)?

In terms of iPlayer/ $oD etc. how much is a lot ?

If you're watching an hour of stuff on iplayer, 4oD etc. a day then you've probably got no chance with 3G/mobile broadband (I've not checked how much data they use these days but at one point I think it was around 1GB/hour).

Speed wise my 3G dongle (on the three network) has been comparable to ADSL (and I get the full 8mbps the exchange supports). The cheapest options with a reasonable (15G) cap I'm aware of for 3G internet are three and Giff Gaff. I did try Giff Gaff in the summer as it was cheaper than three but the speed was very poor - but that might have been my location.
Reply 2
Original post by mfaxford
I assume by dongle you mean 3G/mobile broadband dongle ?

Is this going to be your only form of accessing the internet (or if it just for the occasional use when away from home)?

In terms of iPlayer/ $oD etc. how much is a lot ?

If you're watching an hour of stuff on iplayer, 4oD etc. a day then you've probably got no chance with 3G/mobile broadband (I've not checked how much data they use these days but at one point I think it was around 1GB/hour).

Speed wise my 3G dongle (on the three network) has been comparable to ADSL (and I get the full 8mbps the exchange supports). The cheapest options with a reasonable (15G) cap I'm aware of for 3G internet are three and Giff Gaff. I did try Giff Gaff in the summer as it was cheaper than three but the speed was very poor - but that might have been my location.

Thanks for replying!

Yeah, its internet for my laptop, it's going to be my only form of internet, besides the WIFI around the Uni. I would say that I sometimes watch an hour a day? Sometimes more, sometimes less. So, what is a good speed for a dongle to have, if I 1) Only use it to study (internet web sites only), or 2) Use it to study and watch Iplayer??
Reply 3
Original post by Bored31
Thanks for replying!

Yeah, its internet for my laptop, it's going to be my only form of internet, besides the WIFI around the Uni. I would say that I sometimes watch an hour a day? Sometimes more, sometimes less. So, what is a good speed for a dongle to have, if I 1) Only use it to study (internet web sites only), or 2) Use it to study and watch Iplayer??

For a 3G dongle the speed is going to depend a lot on where you are and which network has the best coverage in that area. Just like a mobile phone.

Generally 3G contracts are done based on how much you can download in a month and the largest value I've seen in 15GB which for streaming video isn't that much. In theory EE should be in the best place to give big caps and high speed with 4G but they appear to be expensive and I'm not sure they're offering anything much better than some networks do on 3G.

In terms of prices the networks I'd look at first are Giff Gaff and Three who seemed to have the best prices/caps when I looked last (last summer). I've generally used a three PAYG sim for occasional access using their PAYG+12 option.
Perhaps a suggestion would be to buy an unlocked MiFi (around £50) and then pop in a Giffgaff SIM for £12.50 a month, which will give you 3GB which should last you. May end up cheaper than buying a dongle on a contact.

Plus an unlocked MiFi gives you the benefit of using a different SIM card,and using that connection on more than one device (e.g. Other laptops/tablets/phones).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TimeAndSpace
Perhaps a suggestion would be to buy an unlocked MiFi (around £50) and then pop in a Giffgaff SIM for £12.50 a month, which will give you 3GB which should last you. May end up cheaper than buying a dongle on a contact.

Plus an unlocked MiFi gives you the benefit of using a different SIM card,and using that connection on more than one device (e.g. Other laptops/tablets/phones).

Posted from TSR Mobile

3GB isn't going to last that long with watching iplayer etc.

With most peoples usage it's usually cheaper to get wired broadband rather than using 3G
Original post by Bored31
Hi, I really need help with finding a dongle. I have no idea what space or speed is best for me

Me:
I watch a lot of stuff on iPlayer, 4oD etc
I surf the 'net a lot
I use my laptop for Studying
I think I need about 12/13 months
I listen to music
All in all, I can probably spend 8-10 hours a day on the web.
But I don't, (at the moment) download films

What can you suggest? All of the 30 day rolling contracts only have little downloads, and their speed is quite slow

To be honest, all i can suggest is a fixed line broadband connection. What you have to realise is that mobile networks aren't really catering to replace home broadband and is more for low users who need a data connection when on the go.

That being said, Three offer a sim only 30 day plan with 10GB for £15pm. Then you can buy the dongle for £29.99 from them. It's just 10GB may not be enough if you plan on watching iPlayer and 40D once a day. Maybe once a week?

Speeds won't be as fast as fibre optic broadband, but they should be fast enough location dependant.

I really would recommend a fixed line home broadband connection for where you're living. But if you can't get that and want to use the laptop out and about then Three is your only choice. Anything less than 10GB and you may burn through it. Even 10GB doesn't sound like enough.

So yeh, has to be Three. No other network comes close. Plus Three's speeds are good, but like i said, location dependant.

Can i ask if you have a mobile phone contract btw? when does it run out?
(this info is useful)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending