The Student Room Group

Is Math studies acceptable for psychology?

I am about to start with IB in a few months and have to give in my subject choices by the end of next week. After IB, I want to major in psychology and then do my MBA in HR. My current choices are: HLs - Psychology, Bm and Biology. SLs - English, French and math. Math however is not my strong point and despite my GCSEs being a mix of As and A*s, I only managed a 79 in math. My question is, is math studies acceptable for what I want to do? I would really prefer to do it over Math sl! Also, is my subject choice appropriate? Please let me know asap, thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Maths, Maths Studies, Geography, Enviromental studies. There's a definitive difference tbh and I think SL maths would be a wiser choice. (''Anything with studies rule, usually means its bad, apart from religious studies to a certain extent'') but for psychology its probably acceptable
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thankyouu. but will universities look down upon me for it? Assuming my score will touch 39 at least with math studies.
Reply 3
Original post by Kapila
Thankyouu. but will universities look down upon me for it? Assuming my score will touch 39 at least with math studies.
I cannot give a definite answer as I'm by no means an expert in the admissions process. If someone comes along with SL or HL maths they will be highly favourable, (providing your course requires maths), that being said not many psychology students even take maths in the first place so who knows
Reply 4
I know at least three people who are studying psychology at university who did Maths Studies, so I don't think you'll have a problem (though it may mean that some unis are automatically ruled out, I'm not sure).
Reply 5
I once spoke to a representative from Nottingham Trent about reading Psychology at uni and she said that SL Maths is strongly encouraged due to statistical tests etc.
Might want to email some unis and enquire which they prefer?
SL Maths is a jump from GCSEs, but it's not that big a jump. Most of my friends who achieved A/A* in their Maths IGCSEs are predicted 6 or 7s.
Reply 6
Check your preferred university's website for their entrance requirements. Some decent uni's (e.g, Queen's Belfast) are happy to accept GCSE maths only, so it might behove you to choose a subject other than maths, if it will improve your overall grade!
Reply 7
No, for some reason about a quarter of the people from my school go on to do psychology and loads of them do maths studies and it doesn't affect them in the slightest. Only of you want to do maths, a science or economics, maybe business at some places will it actually have an impact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I've applied to psychology this year and got 4/5 offers with Maths Studies (my rejection wasn't due to doing maths studies though!) :smile:
Reply 9
Which were the universities you applied to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending