The Student Room Group

Hardest thing about driving?

Scroll to see replies

The worst bit for me is the planning. At what point do I start slowing down for a traffic light or for "meeting place" when obstruction is at my side. I leave it till the last second and it seems a touch harsh. City driving with a manual car is irritating for your left foot.
Knowing when to go at roundabouts.
Reply 22
I can't reverse park into a pay still luckily I didn't have to do it in my test. What annoys me the most are other drivers and that's people who don't indicate or who speed on dual carriage ways in particular.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh man where do i begin...

Roundabouts with more than one lane
Bay parking
Hill starts
Reverse rond the corner
Judging the actions from other drivers/meeting points with other drivers/knowing when to let other drivers into spaces.

Im on my 27th lesson aswell :frown:
Reply 24
Everything.. Imagine the worst possible driver and i am THAT! I am so bad and iv taken about 30 lessons! And i find all of it hard 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't find driving hard anymore since I passed but when learning it was getting the hang of the clutch/biting point I found it very confusing took me ageeeeeeeees to get used to it.
Reply 26
Third. Chuffing. Gear. I could never get into that stupid, godforsaken gear for weeks and weeks during lessons. The amount of times I went into fifth instead was horrendous.

Maybe it was the car - when I drove my own, I never had a problem. Also, parallel parking gives me a bit of grief even now, it was the worst of the manoeuvres when I was learning.
For me it's always been keeping my eyes peeled for road markings. I've really gotten it recently but it was always a weak area throughout my lessons. Anything that involved pedal and steering control has always been one of my strong points.
junctions, I can just never get them right :dontknow:
i've always found judgement to be the hardest thing about driving-judging the distance of a parked car, judging how close you are to things, how fast other cars are going.
I find most things fairly easy, the only things that worry me are slip roads really. I'm worried there isn't going to be a space for me to slot on or even if there is I won't be going at the right speed and I'll mess it up. All comes with time and confidence I suppose, I only started driving yesterday after passing my test 2 months ago so it could take a little bit of time.
Reply 31
Knowing when to go at roundabouts is one of my weak points at the moments.
Reply 32
****ing roundabouts

also parking in general, I never understand how people are able to make such fine judgements with positioning their car, I've seen cars parked to within a few centimetres of other cars or the kerb
I think the hardest thing for me was having to deal with the gearstick and the clutch. I've always found manual cars quite difficult to drive, and I never really felt confident driving one so now I drive an automatic.
Original post by Jack93o
****ing roundabouts

also parking in general, I never understand how people are able to make such fine judgements with positioning their car, I've seen cars parked to within a few centimetres of other cars or the kerb

My instructor has loads of reference points on his car, so you do it step by step and pretty much cant go wrong. So you pull up next to car a bit in front of it, then reverse straight until the little blob on your back left window is just off the edge of the other car. Then 1 rotation left of the steering wheel, and reverse until your left wing mirror is just off the back of the other car. Wheels back straight, reverse until you see a little pizza triangle of road in your left wing mirror, then full lock on right and reverse till parallel :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by Dusky Mauve
My instructor has loads of reference points on his car, so you do it step by step and pretty much cant go wrong. So you pull up next to car a bit in front of it, then reverse straight until the little blob on your back left window is just off the edge of the other car. Then 1 rotation left of the steering wheel, and reverse until your left wing mirror is just off the back of the other car. Wheels back straight, reverse until you see a little pizza triangle of road in your left wing mirror, then full lock on right and reverse till parallel :biggrin:

I get what you mean, but every car would be different though won't it? (i.e. your memory of how to park, including the reference points, is only specific to that particular car you're learning in) cars come in all different shape and sizes, so if you get a new car, you'd have to kinda start all over again with learning to park by 'experimenting' with new reference points and knowing how they correspond to how far away the car really is from the objects around it, yes?

what I don't get is how people can just jump into a different car and park/drive it with no problem, or does this only happen on TV and not in real life?
When I first started there were slight problems with the clutch. Then it became problems observing whilst at a 3-4 lane round-about and changing lanes.
roundaouts mainly the right one never knew which lane to go :lol: going up hills is scary always rolled back
For me it is driving with stick, therefor i chose automatic...
I don't like roundabouts but of all i hate the idiots on the roads who speed, tailgate you and don't bother indicating... :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending