The Student Room Group

I need advice!

I am currently at college getting GCSE's I missed last year. I was planning to stay on at this college and do A Levels in September however I am now movingg to the other side of the country. The college I applied for next year in my new town doesn't recognize BTEC Level 2 toward GCSE's so I an unable to go to that college in September to do A Levels. I was looking at BTEC courses and I would be able to do a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business. I was wondering what university courses I would be able to do with a BTEC in Business. My dream is to be able to a teaching degree, a degree in geography and history or a degree in law. I think I won't stand a chance to do one of these courses at university with only a BTEC in Business and AS Use of Maths.
I was hoping to get into Bournemouth University if that helps.
Finding out I wouldn't be able to do A Levels has shattered me, I hope there is a way around it.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Firstly, the font you're using is painful. Secondly, I'd advise to check the entry requirements for any universities you're thinking of going to to see if they accept your qualification(s). I'm pretty sure most universties accept a wide range of qualifications - not just A-levels, so it's definitely worth checking. Especially since you seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want to do at university.
Reply 2
Original post by R3cognize
Firstly, the font you're using is painful. Secondly, I'd advise to check the entry requirements for any universities you're thinking of going to to see if they accept your qualification(s). I'm pretty sure most universties accept a wide range of qualifications - not just A-levels, so it's definitely worth checking. Especially since you seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want to do at university.

Sorry and thanks!
Look around for ALL other options in your 'new' town - including p/time evening courses, going back to school etc that mean you could do A levels. As you've already discovered A levels are far more acceptable to Unis than BTEC.

Also, think about doing distance learning like Open University as an alternative (check that your preferred Uni will accept this first) - you dont need any formal prior qualifications and it avoids the BTEC/A Level divide. There are Introductory & stand-alone courses (ie. you dont have to do a full degree or be 18) and many are in interesting subjects that often arent avalaible at A level. http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/index.htm

Finally, there are other Universities than Bournemouth. Check out www.whauni.com Enter your preferred subject and Search. On the next page you can enter your potential qualifications and see what is available. You get 5 choices on your UCAS application - use them all.
Reply 4
Thanks very much!
When I go to university I can't move away so Bournemouth is all i've got.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending