The Student Room Group

The 'I'm Writing a Book' Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm writing a fantasty/Sci-fi novel currently (Though I put it on hold due to exams.)
The theme is: Feminism and what would happen if women had their own planet :biggrin:
It's a comedy fiction with some drama (Obviously)
Reply 21
Hi guys,

I'm trying to write a novel , i have the ideas, but i'm a little worried about pace and writing style.

Do i need to have a con-stringent writing style , or can i just plan it all properly and then just naturally tell the story as i normally would?

My biggest barrier is my paranoia with regards to writing styles. I understand i need to use the different facets of writing such as grammar, sentence structure, building up drama and tension, being emotive and so on, but can i do all of this with my own unique way of writing?

As a tip for everyone, i think writing novel is a little like being a movie producer. You have to think of several scenes, several characters, get down every detail in the plan. Moreover, you need to find a way to use all of these details and pick the best bits, make scenes, and write! Draw the reader in, have plot turns, and so on and so forth.

I do want to get published(optimistic , and i know how hard it is get any novel published as a rookie , although i must add, it is a nightmare to try and actually sit down and write! It's so difficult. I have so many other commitments as well!
Reply 22
Original post by PreppyNinja
I'm writing a fantasty/Sci-fi novel currently (Though I put it on hold due to exams.)
The theme is: Feminism and what would happen if women had their own planet :biggrin:
It's a comedy fiction with some drama (Obviously)

Femenists are often have their name distorted. Maybe you mean the feminazi's rather then the real feminists?

Reply 23
I'm attempting to write a historical fantasy book but I just can't think of ideas :badger:

I've got about 3 chapters in but then I get stuck trying to make it interesting
Reply 24
Interesting to see so many writers on TSR.

I enjoy writing and try to write every day. I've written quite a lot of non-fiction in the form of essays and some short creative writing pieces. I don't think I will ever get published, and certainly have no plans to do so - I just like writing for its own sake. It's a lovely hobby to have, and I find that it makes you look at the world through a different mindset.
Original post by Peko
I'm attempting to write a historical fantasy book but I just can't think of ideas :badger:

I've got about 3 chapters in but then I get stuck trying to make it interesting
Did you write a plan? :sly:

Always plan, and if it's not interesting, vary a little. When I did NaNoWriMo last year I spent about two months planning and then freewrote the whole thing, disregarded the plan completely :lol:

Original post by Angury
Interesting to see so many writers on TSR.

I enjoy writing and try to write every day. I've written quite a lot of non-fiction in the form of essays and some short creative writing pieces. I don't think I will ever get published, and certainly have no plans to do so - I just like writing for its own sake. It's a lovely hobby to have, and I find that it makes you look at the world through a different mindset.
It's fin writing, I'll agree - it's something different to do, and it's a good way of taking out various stresses in a way that's productive and creative rather than destructive.

That said, it's always worth polishing your work and maybe putting it up for Kindle. You never know; someone might like it and buy it, and if enough do then you'll be sharing something you love with others, and maybe having a little bit of a secondary income.

That's what I did - wrote because I had nothing to do with my time, and put it up because heh, why not, and next thing I know I've cleared my overdraft and can afford to buy vintage tape recorders.
Reply 26
Original post by Tootles
Did you write a plan? :sly:

Always plan, and if it's not interesting, vary a little. When I did NaNoWriMo last year I spent about two months planning and then freewrote the whole thing, disregarded the plan completely :lol:

It's fin writing, I'll agree - it's something different to do, and it's a good way of taking out various stresses in a way that's productive and creative rather than destructive.

That said, it's always worth polishing your work and maybe putting it up for Kindle. You never know; someone might like it and buy it, and if enough do then you'll be sharing something you love with others, and maybe having a little bit of a secondary income.

That's what I did - wrote because I had nothing to do with my time, and put it up because heh, why not, and next thing I know I've cleared my overdraft and can afford to buy vintage tape recorders.

I've always wondered whether it would be better trying to get your draft accepted by a publisher. I know it is ridiculously hard, but I've been entering things like writing competitions just to try and get my name out there. I always wonder how successful your work will be when you self-publish regardless of how good it is, because you still need to market it and let people know about it.

How did you make people aware of your work on the Kindle? It sounds like you made quite a success out of it - I always assumed that that was the exception rather than the norm, so I've never had high hopes of actually making any money from writing. :tongue:
Original post by Angury
I've always wondered whether it would be better trying to get your draft accepted by a publisher. I know it is ridiculously hard, but I've been entering things like writing competitions just to try and get my name out there. I always wonder how successful your work will be when you self-publish regardless of how good it is, because you still need to market it and let people know about it.

How did you make people aware of your work on the Kindle? It sounds like you made quite a success out of it - I always assumed that that was the exception rather than the norm, so I've never had high hopes of actually making any money from writing. :tongue:
It's swings and roundabouts now; traditional publishers don't promote you or anything, all they do is print some copies and see if any bookshops order it. Only the really big authors get loads of promotion. Also you should never sublit a draft to a publisher - it should always be a corrected and edited, publicable proof. They don't like having to do any work.

With self-publishing, I'll agree that writing and editing quality are never guaranteed, but the ones who care generally stick out.

Mostly I make people aware through my presence on Facebook, through an author's page. A little word of mouth on here or wherever else, and of course Amazon features highly-ranking works, which happened to me for a couple of weeks - at one point the first volume of my novel was in the top 100 epic fantasy books, and peaked at 45*. Aside from that I really haven't a clue.

Of course I'm not going to say you should publish if you don't want to, especially if it's only the writing you want to do and not the marketing. All I was really saying is that it might be worth doing, if you're willing to entertain the idea.

* I can back this up with screenshots.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending