The Student Room Group

IOE Primary PGCE 2013

Hey all,

First of all, what's with the lack of IOE Primary PGCE discussion for 2013 entry!?

Second, has anyone applied and got an interview/offer? I had mine earlier this week and still waiting for their response - anyone excited/nervous about starting at the IOE? Pretty prestigious place for teacher training!
Reply 1
I found out that I got in yesterday. Pretty excited! Have you heard anything yet?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by simonge37
I found out that I got in yesterday. Pretty excited! Have you heard anything yet?

Nice one! Just found out that they've given me an offer too, so I'm happy/relieved until I get to the Skills tests!

Regarding where we go from here, I guess it's just to make sure you pass the Skills test and wait for them to upload our 'Pre-programme' tasks on the website. Then prepare for apparently the most intense academic year of your life! Should be fine...

What do you think of IoE as our future university then?
Reply 3
Congrats to you too! Don't worry too much about the skills test; as long as you get the books, do the practise tests and google more practice questions, you'll be absolutely fine. There are videos on YouTube that walk you through the mental arithmetic, I found them very useful.

I can't wait to get started in september!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi, I have also got a place on the Primary PGCE in IOE this september.

Very excited, yet scared about the QTS skills test!

Soph
Hi All,

I too have an offer to start at IOE in September and am really excited!

This will be a really good thread to share preparation ideas!

Does anyone know when we are due to find out details on pre programme tasks or reading? or more information?

Look forward to meeting you in September!
Reply 6
Hey all!

A Facebook group for all IOE Primary PGCE students starting from September 2013 has been made and will be messaged to students via Moodle soon.

If you want to join it now, click:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ioeprimarypgce/

Or Facebook search 'IOE Primary PGCE 2013-2014'.

Feel free to use this group for keeping up to date with both social and academic aspects of the course. I believe someone is organising an informal meet up sometime in August!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi guys,

im just going through the primary pgce information we were given and i am looking for advice...

When 2 books are recommended are students buying both or choosing one. Whilst buying all the books won't brake the bank I don't want to be making unnecessary purchases.

Would love to hear opinions!

N
Reply 8
Hi Nancy,

Sorry, a little late to the forum, and you've probably already made your choices by now. I think the ideal is that you buy both in the long run, but for now I have bought one from each:

Teaching Primary English, Brien - really good read, very clear; it reminds you how much you already know, but also how much you'll need to learn, or at least require reminders/a refresher.

Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers, Haylock - this was lent to me by the class teacher in my teaching experience school. It seems everyone uses it. It is based on the notion that ALL PGCE Primary students are freaked out by having to teach maths, and takes it from there. It's a very good book.

The Teaching of Science in Primary Schools, Harlen - haven't got into this yet (and only four days to go ...)

I agree that it can be difficult to make these choices when they burn the pocket so much. I think it is a question of spreading out the expense.

Change of Subject: I confess to being slightly fazed by the story sack thing. Not sure why; probably because I imagine everyone else bringing brilliantly creative sacks while my will be plain and dull. What are your own thoughts?

See you at the IOE, and good luck!

Duncan

PS. Just found this, which is also good advance advice: http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/34965_Sample_chapter.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi Duncan,

I generally brought the majority of the books, my work gave me an amazon voucher for quite a large amount as a leaving present so for me this made my mind up. Also a lot of the reviews say how much nqts still used their books through out their first few years.

In all honesty I have some basic ideas but haven't actually done my story sack yet I'm trying to get the Jim Rose's review. Sometimes I think keeping it relatively simple will allow for the children to use their imagination but I can't even decide what book to do :/ also I think it should be remembered that we are just starting our training... So think reflectively of your finished product.

I'm in cohort B so still have a week to prepare and finish.

See you in a week or so :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi Nancy,

I'm in Cohort A, so start on Monday, but the first English session isn't until Thursday.

I think your advice is very good; simplicity is a virtue. I'm probably going to do Farmer Duck, with figures for role-playing, a 'bad guy' they can have some fun with, sympathy for the poor duck, etc.

Glad you managed to get all the books.

All the best,

Duncan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending