The Student Room Group

'School is the best time of your life' is what is wrong with society today.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArtGoblin
I agree. But I think for most people, doing a job they enjoy is not possible. People who do not go into higher education after high school with likely end up doing a menial job that holds no interest for them, whereas at least in school they probably liked some of the things they studied and had more free time on their hands. Even for people with higher education it is difficult to find a job you actually want to do. Most people will end up working for corporations they don't care about so even if they have a comfortable salary, they will spend the majority of their day away from everything they like.

And of course, people have a tendency to look back at the past through rose-tinted glasses. I often think about all the funny things that happened at school and how I wish I could go back, but I know the reality was very different. I was doing a lot of stuff I didn't care about then, and people were less kind in school. But we always remember the good things.

You can go into higher education and still end up with what you would describe as a menial job.
Reply 21
i agree with some of what you're saying but most people who qualify as doctors love their jobs, those who do it purely foor money eventually can't cope and drop out because they hate it. I have friends who have been accepted to medical school and are motivated by money but also love learning about the sciences so its always good to have a combinatiin of both.
Reply 22
I hated school. People told me that I would miss school once I left; I've never been happier. It wasn't so much the subjects I didn't enjoy, it was the people I didn't like. I'm glad I don't have to see them again.
I didn't like the few months I was at uni, but I liked the people. I dropped out 2 months ago, but have applied for another course I would be passionate about.
But I think I'll enjoy my adult life more than any other time in my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scumbaggio
You can go into higher education and still end up with what you would describe as a menial job.

Of course. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
I think it stems from the possibilities you have in school. At 14 - 16, you could still possibly become an astronaut or prime minister if you really set your mind to it. Of course nobody does, cause theres other things on your mind at that age. Then the realisation comes once you settle into a career path that your options are greatly limited and perhaps if only you'd tried a bit harder or took a different subject your life would be immeasurably better.
Original post by Katiekj25
I hated school. People told me that I would miss school once I left; I've never been happier. It wasn't so much the subjects I didn't enjoy, it was the people I didn't like. I'm glad I don't have to see them again.
I didn't like the few months I was at uni, but I liked the people. I dropped out 2 months ago, but have applied for another course I would be passionate about.
But I think I'll enjoy my adult life more than any other time in my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm like you with school-I constantly counted the days until I left from when I started year 7!

However, I absolutely love university! I've made amazing new friends and I love my course-I can't imagine myself doing anything different!
If school and University are meant to be the best days of my life, then that's some depressing ****. They weren't bad by any means but the height of living? Bitch please.

I agree with you.
Reply 27
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm like you with school-I constantly counted the days until I left from when I started year 7!

However, I absolutely love university! I've made amazing new friends and I love my course-I can't imagine myself doing anything different!

That's nice that you enjoyed uni, hopefully if I get on this course that ill have the same experience as you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bestofyou
what do you disagree with?

I haven't been on for several months, I just remember disagreeing with you a lot before :tongue:.
University life is usually referred to as the 'best time of your life', not school, it's probably branded as one of the worst.
Brad Paisley sums it up pretty well here (skip to 1:58):

Original post by Katiekj25
That's nice that you enjoyed uni, hopefully if I get on this course that ill have the same experience as you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course are you applying for and where? :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by super_kawaii
What course are you applying for and where? :smile:

Social Work at University of West of Scotland

Posted from TSR Mobile
I enjoyed school so much I got a U in every single GCSE. School is terrible, education system is fked and for people like me with severe depression it's even worse.

Quick Reply