The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sorry to be a party pooper, but a world capital is a rather silly idea.
Gretna
Reply 22

Plus we can never agree on one city simply because we all have our own different biases.

See what you're stating, but no bias towards London at all. But what or how could Istanbul be City of the World? Because of a bridge that brings together Asia and Europe (and not Muslims and Westerners as some twit said earlier)?

London would be by far a better candidate, as would New York.
Paris could be, but it's just not as diverse as London or New York.
Milton Keynes.
Reply 24
Birth place of civlisation, so place in africa where we all deceded from or jerusalem. In the matrix, the story goes that the robot city (Zero One) is in the holy city of mecca as it shows a map of saudi however, it mentions the birthplace of civilisation which would mean jerusalem?
Reply 25
Canterbury. I hear God lives there.
Reply 26
New York City. Because Sinatra said so.
Reply 27
englishstudent
London. Perfect location between East and West and just an amazing city. As a nation, we're also less hated than America.

:congrats: :biggrin:
Vatican City?
Reply 29
walshie
There is quite a bit of History to New York. It just doesn't show compared to the era's of Britain. In Britain, a Kings era was shown, and is still shown in the houses and buildings. New York moved slightly on concentrating on buidling upwards.

Much of New Yorks structure was based in the 30's with 2 of the most important building being built; the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings. 2 buildings which are still some of the tallest buildings today, and they are built out of brick and Granite respectively. New York apart from that, still has much history. New York also offers a mult-cultural society like no other, with anything and everything possible.

I think Istanbul deserves it more since it's the gateway between East and West and it used to be one of the most important culture centres of the ancient world. It's a city where ancient and modern works together and two continents meet.

Modern architecture doesn't warrant the capital of the world since the world was not created in the 30's. A bit sad you had -rep me for my opinion.
Reply 30
Refused
I think Istanbul deserves it more since it's the gateway between East and West and it used to be one of the most important culture centres of the ancient world. It's a city where ancient and modern works together and two continents meet.

Modern architecture doesn't warrant the capital of the world since the world was not created in the 30's. A bit sad you had -rep me for my opinion.

I think it's easy to tell whether New York, London, or Istanbul deserve that title by the amount of New Yorkers and Londoners that move to Istanbul and vice versa...
Reply 31
Dr_SS_Lecter
Birth place of civlisation, so place in africa where we all deceded from or jerusalem. In the matrix, the story goes that the robot city (Zero One) is in the holy city of mecca as it shows a map of saudi however, it mentions the birthplace of civilisation which would mean jerusalem?

I think the Romans had something approaching civilisation before Jeruselam came to prominence. I think a few Greek fellas got together for a chat a few years before that, too.

Gotta be London or New York. I'll go for new york, cos I like big towers and Brooklyn accents. LOL
Reply 32
blot
I think the Romans had something approaching civilisation before Jeruselam came to prominence. I think a few Greek fellas got together for a chat a few years before that, too.

Gotta be London or New York. I'll go for new york, cos I like big towers and Brooklyn accents. LOL

Nope, egyptions and mesopotamia as well as Indian civ.
Reply 33
ISTANBUL
derf
Sorry to be a party pooper, but a world capital is a rather silly idea.

I think most of us are working on this assumption anyway.
Reply 35
Nope, egyptions and mesopotamia as well as Indian civ.

The first emergence of the 'urban' was actually probably in Catal Huyuk in Anatolia quite a few millenia before Uruk,Ur, Eridu et al.
Reply 36
arkbar
The first emergence of the 'urban' was actually probably in Catal Huyuk in Anatolia quite a few millenia before Uruk,Ur, Eridu et al.

Yeah your right i think. How about the phoenicians (but i suspect they came later, maybe 1300BC) and ancient persians? How about the Byblos, but they were 6000BC?
Reply 37
Catal Huyuk was established in ~7500BC, in addition there was Jericho in ~5000BC(although there've been settlements on the site for much longer).
Well in Star Trek, all the important stuff is based in San Francisco so I'll throw that into the mix too.
Reply 39
What about Cairo?

Latest

Trending

Trending