The Student Room Group

How to revise AQA AS Product Design (3D design)?

So I just finished my second piece of coursework for AQA AS Product Design which means it's time to start revising the theory for the exam. Problem is none of my revision seems to be sticking! I'm having problems with remembering all the materials and their properties for an example. If you've done this course before/are doing it or even just a similar course, how did you revise all the product design theory - and made sure it stuck? :/
Reply 1
Trust me bro, I've got the same issue with all my subject.

Flash cards help BIG TIME. Write down all the things you're struggling most with on flash cards, then leave all the things you do know until the end.

Mind maps are a good solution, they help a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just read through the aqa book! Look at past papers and mark scenes that helps a lot ttoo good luck! My exam is tomorrow!
i prefer making notes or making brainstorms of key ideas :smile: or even using a revision guide of some sort may help
Reply 4
Making flash cards on my phone with the subject content by my side. I'm just picking thinks I'm not familiar with, such as "ingot" and "stereo lithographic modellers."
Reply 5
Its all about knowing someone that is in somewhere like Hong Kong but otherwise you just got to keep firing through the book. My teacher advised I look at 2 smart materials and learn all the process hope it helps good luck for tomorrow everyone
Reply 6
Pretty easy paper, I put casting and vacuum forming for the sink, but I'm not sure if they're gonna award me any marks as vacuum forming is wrong... But casting is right... First question was thermoplastics I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
im not gonna say easy, but it was a very nice exam. haha horrible first question no idea what it was, but think i nailed the rest. anyone else?
Reply 8
The whole exam I found pretty reasonable, except the first question, I knew they were starch based polymers but had no idea about their properties, so put down some generic things (lightweight, bio-degradable etc), still I'd be surprised if I get more than one mark for it. Hope everyone else found it good too!
Reply 9
For the sink I couldn't decide which process to do, so I put one down for sand casting and one for press forming! I think I also threw a small die casting diagram in there for the taps xD Couldn't think of a polymer for the dispenser though... went with HDPE in the end :/

I thought it was a pretty well balanced paper marks-wise. Some papers have had the last question as being 12 or even 16 marks, but this was only 10!

what did you guys do for your improvements to the dispenser/sink?
Reply 10
It was all fine except that I put spinning for that bastard sink question, which I think is wrong.
Reply 11
The sink was probably deep drawn/pressed, however I think AQA will give you marks for casting if you explained it right! Funnily enough I went down to talk to my teacher after the exam and there was the exact same sink in the food room!
Reply 12
Didn't even think of deep drawing. Guess I associated that with cans :/ I think sand casting would be feasible, just pretty slow...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put biodegradable for the first question and my teacher said that was right! and I put press forming for the sink! Paper was pretty good tbh went through it with my teacher and I think I've done alright! Hope everyone think they did too!
Reply 14
Deep drawing is for cylinders, not bowls. It would have been press formed for sure, not that I put press forming! I doubt they would sand cast it either :/
Reply 15
Original post by Sarahftw_
Making flash cards on my phone with the subject content by my side. I'm just picking thinks I'm not familiar with, such as "ingot" and "stereo lithographic modellers."

Would anyone be able to get hold of the official mark scheme for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending