The Student Room Group

Breaking a contract before you start a grad scheme?

Hi all,

What would happen if you signed a contract to start a grad scheme in September but then got a better offer and signed a contract with another company and didn't honour your first contract?

Obviously the first company would be annoyed and probably suffer costs of having to recruit someone to replace you.

Anyone heard of people getting sued for doing this?
Original post by tret
Hi all,

What would happen if you signed a contract to start a grad scheme in September but then got a better offer and signed a contract with another company and didn't honour your first contract?

Obviously the first company would be annoyed and probably suffer costs of having to recruit someone to replace you.

Anyone heard of people getting sued for doing this?

I've never known anyone getting sued. I doubt it would cause them that much hassle unless they have already laid out money for training you may have already done.

Ultimately they can't really force you to honour the contract- and they wouldn't want to do that anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In reality likely nothing will happen. A few people on my course did this, and the companies didn't really care as it's not difficult for them to get new graduates to join their schemes. They probably could sue you if you really wanted, but again, they're extremely unlikely to as, again, it's not difficult for them to get new graduates to join their schemes.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies.

I imagine it happens a fair bit, that most companies don't do anything, but if they wanted to then they could.
Reply 4
The contract you sign will have a notice period, normally no more than a month at first. So if you chuck it in for another offer any time in the next few months then there's a good chance you can effectively just serve your normal notice.

Either way, no decent company is ever going to chase a grad over this. If you don't want to work there any more, they sure as hell aren't going to try and strong arm you in to coming when they have grads queueing up for a job! That said, the decent thing to do is to let them know as soon as possible if you get another offer signed up. I've done this before myself and all it took was a 5 minute call to HR who were very civil about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending