The Student Room Group

Best playmaker of the last 20 years?

Poll

Who's the best playmaker of the last 20 years?

As per the title, who do you think has been the best playmaker of the last two decades? I hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Xavi or Pirlo in the modern age.

Before that maybe Beckham in his prime
Reply 2
Pirlo. Once Messi gets older he'll probably take over that position for Barcelona and put himself up there with the best playmakers. That's one thing he has over Ronaldo.
Reply 3
It depends on how you define a playmaker really. The one's I'm not sure about have a ? next to them.

Xavi/Iniesta/Pirlo/Scholes/Sneijder/Kaka?/Ronaldinho?/Totti?/Rui Costa/Riquelme/Nedved?/Figo?/Rivaldo?/Baggio/Laudrup/Hagi

There's probably a few more, I haven't got that great a knowledge of the 90's. I'd say Zidane personally?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Please vote guys. I'm going for Zidane, the embodiment of elegance on the football pitch.
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
Should have probably said the last 10 years because you've neglected the 90's quite a bit there, no Laudrup?
Reply 7
Original post by Deshi
Should have probably said the last 10 years because you've neglected the 90's quite a bit there, no Laudrup?

Idid consider him but Laudrup's best years were prior to 1993 and so I didn't think he should be included. He left Real Madrid for Japan in 1996 and that ended his career at the top. I don't think he did enough between 1993 and 1996 to warrant a place on the list.
Zidane. All of those in the poll were great players, though.
Reply 9
Zidane is the popular choice it seems.
I can only judge what I've seen, and I didn't see Zidane enough at his greatest, so it's between Ronaldinho and Iniesta, and I'll give it to Ronaldinho, because my jaw dropped far too many times whilst watching him.
Original post by Futurism
Xavi or Pirlo in the modern age.

Before that maybe Beckham in his prime

He wasn't a play maker in his prime though. He was a right winger.
Reply 12
I don't think you can pigeonhole zidane into a playmaker. His game was about so much more than just great passing, he was the complete midfielder. Xavi probably from the last 20 years, Pirlo and Kaka a few years ago for Milan were certainly also incredible passers. If we were going back a bit further I'd say maradona

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have an issue with some of the players in this poll because it sometimes confuses attacking midfielders for playmakers. Some attacking midfielders can be playmakers (Zidane, Riquelme, for example), but some are definitely not (Totti was never a playmaker).

For a deeper playmaker, it's difficult to argue against Xavi, who is an all-time great footballer and one of the best ever in his position. Won everything, MOTM performances in big games, consistent, great range of passing and exceptional movement. My honourable mention would go to Pirlo.

For a more advanced playmaker, I have to agree with those who say Zidane. Again, big performances, the ability to control a game and drag teams single handedly. After Zidane, I'd say Rui Costa was the next best. People often forget how good he was in the late 90's and early 00's (probably because there was a load of fantastic players also playing in that position).
Zidane.

No Bergkamp in the poll but Kaka/Alonso are included? hhhhmmmm
Can you argue against this?

Brilliance!
Remember Rui Costa for one moment

Time: 1.05

What a beauty.
Germany vs Italy, world cup semifinal, 0-0 for 117 minutes then this happens:

[video="youtube;OKWelB-enUo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKWelB-enUo[/video]

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Zidane.

Kaka was voted the best player in the world in 2007 and Alonso has been an important part in the greatest national side there has probably ever been. Bergkamps ability and achievements pale in comparison.
Also they are both clearly playmakers, where as Bergkamp was perhaps inbetween a playmaker and a supporting striker.
Im shocked that out of that list, you chose Alonso and Kaka, two of the most accomplished and gifted playmakers.
Reply 19
Original post by Zürich
Zidane.

Berkamp was arsenals best player ever IMO and wold class so should be put along side alonso but not Kaka, Kaka in his prime was a far superior player to xavi for me and I could not really split him apart from inesta but thats at his absolute peak.

One player I think should be on this list is Deco, where the hell is Deco?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest