The Student Room Group

Going to uni with one of my best friends...

Scroll to see replies

I applied for medicine too

I applied to sheffield, liverpool, manchester and barts,

I got offers from barts and manchester.

Although my best friend of 7 years got rejected from manchester and he didn't apply to barts, we were both hoping to buy a house together in the second year and even open a GP surgery together at some point in the future but thats just life :frown:

I guess i'm kind of the opposite as you haha. I'll make new friends though and ill still meet with him during breaks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
I need help with this too! My best mate got rejectd from evrywhere but the 1 uni tht i wnted to firm nd i really wnted to go on my own :frown: i got other offers, bt this was my fave and it is a really small school i dont know what to do :frown:
I went to the same uni as my best friend and had some of the same feelings as you (although on the other hand I was happy she'd be there in case I didn't make any other friends) but honestly it's fine. In first year I went out with her and her flat a few times which was great, it was basically an extra circle of friends. But these days I hardly see her at uni and our paths don't really cross if we don't arrange to meet up. Also, she is actually on the same course as one of our other good friends from home and even they have different friendship groups and don't hang around together all the time. And yet it's great seeing eachother at home. So don't worry. :smile:
Reply 23
Not exactly a uni experience, but I've had a similar one.

I started the Access to HE course in September, and this was something I'd planned for over a year. I just couldn't start when I wanted to because I didn't meet their age requirements and time out of education requirements.

I was looking forward to this fresh start, and meeting new people. Then one of my closest friends, who signed up to the course because her mum was nagging her to do so and she wanted her to stop, decided about a week before the introductory 'Preparation for Access to HE' course she was going to do it. I was a little pissed off xD

But even though we do similar subjects, we're only together for 2/6 subjects, and each subject only has one lesson a week. While there's only one or two people I'd call friends I met on the course, I speak to others regularly and get on well with them. And it's been nice having her there. I'm often more tired due to college in the week and work at weekends, so if I don't see her outside of college, it's nice seeing her in college and being able to talk; she is one of my closest friends, so I feel more comfortable around her than anyone else on the course.
Reply 24
Original post by sunshinexo
I don't know how to phrase this properly but I'll try.

It's near the end of the UCAS cycle and it's come to the point where I've recently been rejected from Sheffield (my first choice), which was the last Uni to get back to me. I have one offer from Liverpool (which I'm really REALLY grateful for - I'm applying for Medicine so I know how difficult it is to get in) so I've accepted I'm going there. The only thing that's bugging me is that one of my best friends has had her heart on Liverpool for ages (she's applying for english) and she's firmed her choice already and I was really hoping Uni would be a time where I could 'start again' or 'reinvent' myself. It's not that I want to become a completely different person, but I found it comforting knowing that no one I know (really well) was going to be at Sheffield and it's something I can go off and do on my own.

She's really excited about us going to the same Uni and I feel bad for not feeling the same way.

I really wanted a fresh start at Uni, and we are really close - I just feel like I want my own space and it would be difficult having someone so close there with me. Am I a bad friend for feeling like this? I was looking forward to coming back home and reuniting with all my friends.. but it wouldn't feel the same if she was there with me all the time anyway?

I was wondering if anyone could share any experiences/advice they may have?

Sorry it's a bit rambly lol

But thanks for reading :smile:

I know it's a bit late but thought my potential experience will put you at ease...

I'm in upper sixth doing my A2's and have applied to go to Uni. Grades permitting, Ill hopefully end up going to Loughborough. My brother is a year older than me and took a year out to build up a portfolio so he could go to Uni to do graphics. He has recently received an offer from Loughborough and plans to firm it.

As bad as it seems your good friend going to the same place as you, be thankful you aren't me and could end up at the same Uni as your brother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending