The Student Room Group

Help on Psychology Conversion ?

Hello... I am looking into applying for a Psychology Conversion at Glasgow Caledonian Uni and would really appreciate any help?

I already have a degree in Fashion Design (graduated 2006). After deliberating for a long time I've decided to go back into education -

I've been very interested in the way the human mind works for some time and would like to pursue a career in helping others, I.e Social Work, Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy etc...

I know there are other ways of getting onto these courses without the aid of the conversion but I feel it'll help me decide a more prominent route to take?

Is it worth my time AND money? Is the course structure difficult? Coming from a Fashion background (coursework was more practical rather than theoretical) would it be a struggle?

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated - especially if you have done or are doing the conversion at GCU!

Kind regards,

Saj. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to go into Social Work, you could do a Social Work MA which lasts 2 years full time without having to do the conversion course, all you need is a degree with a 2.1 or above and work experience in a related field.

You might be wasting your time doing the conversion course in psychology if you're wanting to go into these fields; the conversion course is designed for people from non-psychology backgrounds who wish to become psychologists (Clinical, Health, Educational, Forensic etc.)

For Occupational Therapy, you can apply for a pre-registration Masters course which lasts 2 years full time, but you may struggle to gain a place with your degree subject as it's not from a psychological/health sciences background. A conversion course to psychology may be useful here, but do contact the universities you're interested in beforehand to see if you would have a chance of getting onto the Occupational Therapy Masters with your Fashion Design degree.

For Speech and Language Therapy, again you can complete a 2 year full time postgraduate course to qualify, and like Occupational Therapy a degree from a psychological/health sciences background is preferred but contact the universities you might be interested in to see if your degree is acceptable anyway. Getting some relevant experience will definitely help you since your undergraduate degree is unrelated.

I hope this helps you! Feel free to quote me if you're unsure about anything :smile:
I agree with the above :smile: also, if you DO decide to go for the conversion, check the requirements - as some require a certain number of credits/modules to have been in psychology from your first degree
Reply 3
Ah, thank you so much guys. That was REALLY helpful. :-)

I will contact the universities beforehand and come to my final decision.

This student room is a pretty cool place...
Thanks again :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sajatron
Ah, thank you so much guys. That was REALLY helpful. :-)

I will contact the universities beforehand and come to my final decision.

This student room is a pretty cool place...
Thanks again :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're very welcome! Good luck with everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest