The Student Room Group

My boss is stressing me out - new job

I just started a new part time job in a pub this week. I've been working since Monday. It is now Saturday and I just finished my late night shift (12.30 at night).

This is my first job working in a 'shop' (if you can call a pub that). So I am new to using a till. I have also never worked in a pub so I don't know all the drinks, which size glasses to use and there are certain other things I don't know but I am trying to learn. Basically there is loads to take in!

When I first started, my boss was fairly nice and said 'yeah i know it is hard and there is always a lot to remember'. So he was quite understanding when I made mistakes or didn't know where something is.

Anyway his dog was ill and had to get taken to the vet. This costs him loads of money. Then the dog came out of the vets and ran into barbed wire and is now severly injured and on its last legs.

Ever since about Wednesday till today he seems to have lost patience with me, can sometimes be rude, can get angry to me. What used to be some little advice 'eg make sure you do this and this, before doing this' has become a much more negative and angry 'you SHOULD be doing this and this, you should know that now!'.

I am assuming that because of his dog which I am sure he loves and is worried about, he is blaming me for things at work as he is stressed. I don't know this for certain but I'm assuming that.

But it has already made me hate my job and now if I do have any uncertainness I am scared to ask him because I think he would either get angry at me, or judge me in a bad way and think I am not a good employee and I may get the sack.

He used to be fairly patient but now he is not. Maybe I am a slow learner? I don't know. I don't know how long it takes before it becomes second nature to know all the drinks, know how to work everything and do everything smoothly without any problems.

The fact that he tells me off has actually made it harder for me to work because what he has said is in the back of my mind and I cannot concentrate properly on what is currently happening.

Some specific examples of things he has criticised me for:
- The first time was when I was stocking up the fridge with drinks. There is meant to be all the Budweissers in a line, then all the Smirnoffs, then 2 lines of Budva (think that is the name of the drink). He told me this but I misheard him and made a line of Budweissers, 2 lines of smirnoffs and then 1 line of budva. He said in an angry tone '*insert name* you need to listen harder'.
- Someone ordered loads of drinks. Something like 1 pint of fosters, 1 pint of doom bar, a glass of white wine, some peanuts and half a pint of amstel. When I went to the till to type all the drinks in, I had forgotten what the person ordered. My boss just happened to be lurking over my shoulder starring at me which put me under pressure and made it even harder to remember. He actually had watched me serve this customer and said '*insert name* you forgot this drink - come on you should be remembering this, not me".
- I spilt a drink ever so slightly over the till and he said "NEVER EVER pass a drink to a customer over the counter. this could have f*cked the electrics". And yes he did use the 'F word'.
- There are many different types of glasses. Fosters glasses, Guiness glasses, Pint glasses, half pint glasses, wine glasses, jugs with handles in pint sizes and half pint sizes, some other glasses for liquers. I muddled up some of the glasses so they were in the wrong place when filling up the shelves after they had been cleaned. He told me off for this too.

I am trying my best to take it all in but there is so much to remember and it seems he has lost patience with me. I remember one customer who knew I was new (he was a regular) said 'your doing a good job' and then he said to my boss 'isn't that right?' and my boss kind of just avoided answering the question.

I am tempted to already quit however I am not sure because the pay is good.... £7.50 an hour and I need the money and I don't know how likely it is for me to find another job. But he is stressing me out and is worrying me a lot. On top of this I have some personal issues such as trouble with my girlfriend at the minute, some friends and I think I may be suffering from depression.
Reply 1
You're getting £7.50 an hour at a pub? Man up and work harder, you wont find that kind of pay in many pubs these days.

Yes, there's a lot to learn, but by the end of the first week you should be getting the hang of it.
for 7.50 an hour he expects you to be told something once and then for you to remember?

sounds fair enough.
Reply 3
Meh. Been there since Monday and you still having first day nerves. You wonder why he's hard on you?

Sounds like your typical boss to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
So he told you off because you kept ****ing up?

Exactly what were you expecting? Him to just ignore it and let it go?

Come on, this is the world of work. If you can't even get used to this in a pub you have absolutely zero chance of functioning in the world of work.
Reply 5
pro tip:
man up
Reply 6
I can understand it's hard to take everything in quickly at first, especially when you feel under pressure from your boss. My very first job was in a pub and I remember now nervous I was on my first shift, but you will get the hang of it.

If you're working on the bar with another staff member just ask them about something if you're not sure about an order or a drink. If you get a moment in the bar when it's not busy just have a look where all the drinks and glasses are and try to familiarise yourself with the layout.

Also if a customer makes a particularly large order just get them the drinks that you can remember first then if you forget some just ask them what else it was after giving them the first few. They won't mind and will understand, especially if they ordered a lot. I always used to put the drinks in on the till after I'd poured all of them, I found it easier to remember what they'd ordered that way. Also because our tills where prehistoric and wouldn't let us delete a drink after we'd put it in so if a customer changed their mind or didn't want a drink it was a pain to cash it up in your head. Or put the drinks in as you go, so once you've done the fosters or whatever, put that in, then get the next drink and so forth.

But as everyone else has said, £7.50 an hour is really good money for a pub so just stick it out if you can. You really will get the hang of it and know all the basics in a week or two. Just put up with the few weeks hassle from your boss for the next couple of weeks and once you know everything he won't hassle you again.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Smartcook
Meh. Been there since Monday and you still having first day nerves. You wonder why he's hard on you?

Sounds like your typical boss to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never had nerves joining the job.

Original post by Genocidal
So he told you off because you kept ****ing up?

Exactly what were you expecting? Him to just ignore it and let it go?

Come on, this is the world of work. If you can't even get used to this in a pub you have absolutely zero chance of functioning in the world of work.

Well I was new to work so I thought he would at least ease me in. Help me out etc. I usually avoid asking him for help now and ask the other guy who works at the pub and he happily helps me out and says something like 'don't worry you are new, i remember finding it hard to start off with and you will get used to it'. I don't think getting angry at me is going to solve much. And a lot of the times I have made mistakes, it is my first time doing it so I don't know what I am doing. Eg when pouring a certain drink there is a certain way of doing it so I usually ask for help if it is my first time with that drink and he often gets angry with me when I am not a psychic or anything!
Reply 8
We've all had bosses that stress us out.... they want a mile when you can only give an inch.

They want overtime with out the extra payout.
Original post by TheCreed
If you're working on the bar with another staff member just ask them about something if you're not sure about an order or a drink. If you get a moment in the bar when it's not busy just have a look where all the drinks and glasses are and try to familiarise yourself with the layout.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I try to do this but sometimes they are not available (serving a customer, on their lunch or dinner break, not working at that time at all etc). And my boss may be the only person free to ask.But I do this as much as possible. And I have tried to familiarise myself with the drinks and layout but it is hard because I have been told I am not allowed to turn my back when working so I can't really look at the drinks easily as I would have turned around.

Also if a customer makes a particularly large order just get them the drinks that you can remember first then if you forget some just ask them what else it was after giving them the first few. They won't mind and will understand, especially if they ordered a lot. I always used to put the drinks in on the till after I'd poured all of them, I found it easier to remember what they'd ordered that way. Also because our tills where prehistoric and wouldn't let us delete a drink after we'd put it in so if a customer changed their mind or didn't want a drink it was a pain to cash it up in your head. Or put the drinks in as you go, so once you've done the fosters or whatever, put that in, then get the next drink and so forth.Posted from TSR Mobile

I usually do that actually. But there are 2 bars - the main bar and a salloon. The salloon is the quiet one (more like a quiet cafe). Often they will order lots of drinks in there and the till is not there. So I may pull a draught of whatever drink. Then have to go to the till. Come back, pull a draught of a different drink in front of them. GO back to the till etc. This looks bad and Ive been told not to leave the customer waiting. Also usually if I go to the till and add a drink in and walk back another worker is already there and using the till.

But as everyone else has said, £7.50 an hour is really good money for a pub so just stick it out if you can. You really will get the hang of it and know all the basics in a week or two. Just put up with the few weeks hassle from your boss for the next couple of weeks and once you know everything he won't hassle you again.

Good luck! Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I realise it is good pay and that is why I am kind of thinking about sticking it out. However I am already hating it after 5 days and I am going to be there for 6 months! So it is a long time to stick it out. I hope so, I already don't like him and it hasnt helped at all that he has got angry at me because I can't have a normal, friendly conversation with him now. I just look at him and assume he is angry with me in his head and I think negatively every time I see him.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steevee
You're getting £7.50 an hour at a pub? Man up and work harder, you wont find that kind of pay in many pubs these days.

Yes, there's a lot to learn, but by the end of the first week you should be getting the hang of it.

I know the pay is good and that is why I am considering just seeing it through but my boss is causing me loads of stress. And actually it is £6.50 for the first week and then he said it will rise to £7.50. So i've only got £6.50 as of yet. Also I work night shifts too (you are meant to get paid more if you work more difficult hours). I know it is still decent pay though but you have to think if it is worth getting paid a lot when you are miserable, stresed, unhappy, have no time to see friends or have a social life and work is in your mind 24/7. After work last night, I must have gone to bed at just after 2am. I just couldnt sleep because I had to be so quick and alert at work and I couldn't settle down and relax. On top of this I kept thinking of everything my boss had been saying to me.
Original post by blair turgott
I never had nerves joining the job.

Well I was new to work so I thought he would at least ease me in. Help me out etc. I usually avoid asking him for help now and ask the other guy who works at the pub and he happily helps me out and says something like 'don't worry you are new, i remember finding it hard to start off with and you will get used to it'. I don't think getting angry at me is going to solve much. And a lot of the times I have made mistakes, it is my first time doing it so I don't know what I am doing. Eg when pouring a certain drink there is a certain way of doing it so I usually ask for help if it is my first time with that drink and he often gets angry with me when I am not a psychic or anything!

I completely understand where you're coming from.

He's clearly a man with more traditional values. In other words, he's a hard ass who doesn't tolerate failure whether right or wrong. Just ride with it and eventually he'll come to respect you.

Some people are just like that.
Original post by Genocidal
I completely understand where you're coming from.

He's clearly a man with more traditional values. In other words, he's a hard ass who doesn't tolerate failure whether right or wrong. Just ride with it and eventually he'll come to respect you.

Some people are just like that.

Thanks.

Also, I thought I would just mention one other thing. There have been other occasional problems when I have been working which have had absolutely nothing to do with me. He has never directly blamed me for them, although he has implyed there are my fault. Eg there was a wine bottle that wasnt in the fridge and he said to me '*insert name* why isn't this bottle in the fridge?'. I had no idea as I never put it there so I just said 'I don't know it wasn't me but I can put it in the fridge for you'. And once a colleague went to the cellar to pour an ale into a glass and she had left a drink on the back of the bar which she was about to serve in a minute. The boss sees this and says '*insert name* why is this drink here, it shouldn't be here'. Again, I never had anything to do with this drink. I just feel whenever there is a mistake he instantly turns to me and assumes it was my fault since I am new.

I am really not wanting to go into work at 5 and I think I am going to say to myself.... if by Wednesday next week I am still unhappy and things have not improved I think I may just quit. I can't stand it at all. I am really hating it and I was unhappy before work anyway but now I really feel that I am not mentally healthy.
Original post by blair turgott
Thanks.

Also, I thought I would just mention one other thing. There have been other occasional problems when I have been working which have had absolutely nothing to do with me. He has never directly blamed me for them, although he has implyed there are my fault. Eg there was a wine bottle that wasnt in the fridge and he said to me '*insert name* why isn't this bottle in the fridge?'. I had no idea as I never put it there so I just said 'I don't know it wasn't me but I can put it in the fridge for you'. And once a colleague went to the cellar to pour an ale into a glass and she had left a drink on the back of the bar which she was about to serve in a minute. The boss sees this and says '*insert name* why is this drink here, it shouldn't be here'. Again, I never had anything to do with this drink. I just feel whenever there is a mistake he instantly turns to me and assumes it was my fault since I am new.

I am really not wanting to go into work at 5 and I think I am going to say to myself.... if by Wednesday next week I am still unhappy and things have not improved I think I may just quit. I can't stand it at all. I am really hating it and I was unhappy before work anyway but now I really feel that I am not mentally healthy.

You are mentally healthy enough. What you are going through is perfectly normal. Him assuming you made a mistake is natural because you're new and you have made mistakes before. Just run with it for now.

I'd give yourself longer if I were you. If, after a few more weeks, you still aren't happy then quit. It really depends how much you need/want the money and the experience, though.
This is kind of unrelated to my boss but I am really worried about something else - possibly more severe!

When I was working today this guy came in (he has came in a few times before to the pub when I've been working - he is a regular who has been going in for years). He randomly stares at me a lot but I just figured he was a bit odd (plus drunk) as there are quite a few unusual sort of people in the pub.

Anyway after finishing my night shift, I walked home. I finished at 12.30 at night and got home 20 mins later. I decided to jog home because I have work early the next day and want to get as much sleep as possible.

He follows me in his pickup truck. When I get to my road I decide to walk so I am not out of breath when I get in my house/room/bed and not able to sleep. He followed me this way and asked if I want a lift. I say no thanks I'm almost there. He then asks:

'Do you bat on the other side?'
I ask him: 'What do you mean?'
He says: 'Are you gay?;
Me: 'No I'm not'
Him: 'have you ever tried it' [meaning anal sex]
Me: 'No'
Him: 'Oh I just thought you were a good looking guys, that's all'
Him: 'Ok just don't tell anyone at the pub about this'
Me: 'Ok'
Him: *Shakes my hand*

So I then walk off and he tries to see which house I am living in.

Since I live in a small village he asked where abouts I live earlier in the night in the pub and I told him my road name. So he now knows my road name and I don't think he knows my house as I tried to make sure he didn't see me entering the house. Anyway I'm a bit worried he is not just gay - he is also a pervert.

Should I tell someone about this? My mum? My boss who owns the pub? Or even take it further and let the police know?

He even did say 'don't tell anyone'. I would never tell a customer or anything but maybe I should tell my boss as I'm slightly worried.

He is also quite a big bloke and is probably physically stronger than me. And I was thinking if I did get in his truck when he asked me if i wanted a lift, maybe he would have taken me back to his house or something and tried to rape me. Maybe I am overthinking but I am a bit worried. He was definitely a bit of an odd bloke too. As he drove off in his pickup truck he drove all over the flowers/hedge on my road as he was drunk.
(edited 10 years ago)
FFS I'm already losing patience with you, I can't imagine how it must be for your boss.
It sounds like you have an extreme lack of common sense

Quick Reply

Latest