The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Munrot07

Spoiler

I was talking about this post.

Spoiler

Original post by Kool_Panda
I was talking about this post.

Spoiler

fixed the post just to say she is in the christmas episode...I don't know if shes leaving or not at christmas, hope she isn't
Original post by KingStannis
She does not do a fantastic job at all.

I disliked the last companion's character, but she and Rory did a fantastic job. This actress does not.

Misogyny? Get the **** out. What's so misogynistic about judging an artist on her art irrespective of her personal appearance? Absolutely nothing; you're talking out your arse. I didn't think Billie Piper was atttrative, but i loved her. Because appearance isn't important.

But I'm the one "reducing an actress to her looks" :rolleyes:

The doesn't need a man comment was obviously about the two dimensional nature of her character. This thread seems to agree with me, on the whole, with that.

Judging an artist on their art is perfectly reasonable: saying an artist only has their job because of their looks is not. Doctor Who will have no shortage of attractive people hoping for the roles, so it's quite patent that looks aren't the sole factor here.

I completely agree with your comments about the independent nature of her character; completely disagree with using the actress' looks as a contradiction of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Judging an artist on their art is perfectly reasonable: saying an artist only has their job because of their looks is not. Doctor Who will have no shortage of attractive people hoping for the roles, so it's quite patent that looks aren't the sole factor here.

I completely agree with your comments about the independent nature of her character; completely disagree with using the actress' looks as a contradiction of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The actress for Clara isn't just hot though; she's probs the prettiest woman on tv atm. You cant tell me that doesn't have an impact on the decision making. You honestly believe there were no better actresses than her on the entire interview process? She just says different things each week; and each week she sounds the same, with exactly the same voice, exactly the same contrived looking facial expressions, absolutely no chemistry with Danny.
The actress for Clara isn't just hot though; she's probs the prettiest woman on tv atm. You cant tell me that doesn't have an impact on the decision making. You honestly believe there were no better actresses than her on the entire interview process? She just says different things each week; and each week she sounds the same, with exactly the same voice, exactly the same contrived looking facial expressions, absolutely no chemistry with Danny.

I honestly don't think she's that good looking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I honestly don't think she's that good looking

Posted from TSR Mobile

need to get ur cock sorted out there mate :tongue:

jokes

It has lots to do with the decision-making process, and it should. Appearance is an important part of television and film for both genders - I honestly believe that the casting directors chose the best actress they felt would portray their conception of the character. Looks are important, but they don't cover up a lack of talent. There's not an actor in the world who got a part in a major TV show or film just "because of their looks".
need to get ur cock sorted out there mate :tongue:

jokes

I don't deny she is beautiful, I just think you were overstating a little

Posted from TSR Mobile
Christ Clara is awful. The most wooden, 2 dimensional character in Doctor Who I've ever seen. Things are bad when you make the Cybermen look like Gene Hunt. I don't rate her as an actress either, her emotional outbursts for me come across as wooden and unbelievable and she delivers the humorous lines in a weird sharp way that just doesn't do it for me. I suppose it isn't all Jenna Coleman's fault as the writing for her character is something you'd find in a Nicholas Cage or Uwe Boll film.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It has lots to do with the decision-making process, and it should. Appearance is an important part of television and film for both genders - I honestly believe that the casting directors chose the best actress they felt would portray their conception of the character. Looks are important, but they don't cover up a lack of talent. There's not an actor in the world who got a part in a major TV show or film just "because of their looks".

If think you're being somewhat naive.
This episode was a tad predictable, though it still looked good. I did prefer last week's episode - Mummy on the Orient Express. Definitely looking forward to next week, can't believe how quickly the series has passed:gasp: and we've yet to really understand just how this Doctor functions.. and who is Missy.
Original post by getfunky!
This episode was a tad predictable, though it still looked good. I did prefer last week's episode - Mummy on the Orient Express. Definitely looking forward to next week, can't believe how quickly the series has passed:gasp: and we've yet to really understand just how this Doctor functions.. and who is Missy.

The series has passed so quickly you didn't even realise that there was an episode between Mummy on the Orient Express and last night's one!
The series has passed so quickly you didn't even realise that there was an episode between Mummy on the Orient Express and last night's one!

There was? I genuinely forgot

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol:aha just realised, I did watch that episode as well ..just didn't remember it:getmecoat: that episode was quite funny.
This series keeps getting worse! It's turning into a kids show! Where is the storyline? The main overarching plot? Nothing is linked, everything makes the doctor seem not competent, and most of the stories were pathetic! Series 1-5 were the best- BIG, hidden plots, monsters, interesting storylines. COME ON MOFFAT, it could be so much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I only really liked Listen, MOTOE and Flatline. Deep Breath and Time Heist were okay and the other episodes were forgettable, mainly because of weak storylines and too many episodes seemed like lesser versions of past episodes. Here's hoping this two parter provides some redemption for the series, Capaldi deserves it for making the most of so little. The Cybermen could use a good story as well (hasn't been one since Doomsday really) even if it does look like they might be on the periphery with the main focus on Michelle Gomez's character.
Ok then - this is some sort of freak out of epic proportions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GCSEsitter
Even the anticipated finale is wasted on the pointless relationship between the annoying companion and the man known as Danny pink

Eh, I don't mind it, a more rounded, faceted companion is more interesting. Seems very much a copy of Amy though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG the Malcolm Tucker reference !!!
They really couldn't make it more obvious what those skeletons actually are, could they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest