The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drbluebox
Can't tell if that was a joke as classic series was far better.

I agree.
New Who is lacking something which Classic Who wasn't afraid to do.
Warning; Strong language in song
[video="youtube;uNuHV-iLBRw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw[/video]
Seriously though, there has been a few good episodes of New Who but it pales in comparison with Classic Who.
Original post by gwaggy
RTD was amazing! Nothing will ever live up to his story lines!

What do people think about Peter Calpaldi leaving Dr Who this year?

I actually quite liked his portrayal of the Doctor

His portrayal was really good and was better received by the old Doctors (Baker, McCoy etc.) than Smith and Tennant. He was let down by some shoddy writing though, Moffat can't go soon enough! Series 8 was really poor (apart from Last Christmas, Listen, MOTOE and Flatline), Series 9 was better but the last episode nearly ruined it (didn't like the Ashildr arc either).

Series 10 looks okay, still don't think Matt Lucas should be brought back as a pemanent companion. Don't think Bill's character arc will take over the show in the way that Clara's did. Hopefully we get a good Cyberman story (with the Mondasian versions returning), not been a decent one since Doomsday.
(edited 7 years ago)
I actually much preferred Tennant and Smith. Although i rate Tennant the better Doctor due to superior acting ability i think that Smith is the Doctor personified. Brilliant but a little mad and energetic, revelling in his immortality.

I actually prefer the new Cybermen and loved the Ashilda Arc. It highlighted both how the Doctor does rash things and leaves the consequences behind and also the pitfalls of essentially immortality as one watches everybody else die. Clara being temporally spliced was also brilliant.
Original post by Rakas21
I actually much preferred Tennant and Smith. Although i rate Tennant the better Doctor due to superior acting ability i think that Smith is the Doctor personified. Brilliant but a little mad and energetic, revelling in his immortality.

I actually prefer the new Cybermen and loved the Ashilda Arc. It highlighted both how the Doctor does rash things and leaves the consequences behind and also the pitfalls of essentially immortality as one watches everybody else die. Clara being temporally spliced was also brilliant.

I didn't have a problem with the new Cybermen because they became more of a threat, it's just the way they were used/the stories themselves (Nightmare in Silver, Time of the Doctor, Death in Heaven).

I think the Doctor watching everybody die (his speech in the Lazarus Experiment) explained the pitfalls of immortality a lot better (and only in one scene as opposed to nearly a whole series for Ashildr).
Epic. John Simms is to be the Master again (presumably a flashabck).
And so The Doctor has returned.

I thought that was a pleasantly decent first episode to the new series. From the trailers I wasn't sure if I was going to like the Bill Potts character but I thought she was alright.

There is certainly potential for the season ahead.
I did not like the Dalek's being used as fodder like that but the episode was reasonably okay even if carried by Capaldi and Lucas. I won't be watching that one again though in a hurry.

I was concerned before the episode that Bill would be like the last companion to tick the diversity boxes (Martha), although not that bad she is considerably inferior to Ashilda, Clara and Amy and i hope she won't last more than a season as is rumored.
Generally enjoyable opening episode - Peter Capaldi was excellent and the university setting was fun, particularly the little touches like the jar of sonic screwdrivers and the pictures of former companions on his desk.

I found the Bill Potts character fairly irritating so far - there isn't quite enough there for her to be a genuine character. I don't think it's Pearl Mackie's fault, I felt her part was poorly scripted and incoherent.

The water-girl-shape-shifter-lesbian-pursuit-across-the-cosmos thing made no sense - how could 'she' outrun the Tardis? Where was all the power to do that coming from? Nothing was explained - perhaps it will be, but too often, the new Dr Who doesn't stop to explain or account for anything, no matter how absurd, which leaves me feeling empty rather than thrilled by discovery and revelation.
Omg I really enjoyed that:colondollar: Really liked Bill as well.
Loved it, probably the best opening season first episode so far (in the new era ofc)
Loved the character Bill and Capaldi looked great. I think bbc have realised their target audience and I think the uni experience was a great addition to the story line :biggrin:! The lesbian zombie was a bit dodgy but it did scare the heck out of me so credit to that too ! I loved all the little references to Rose, Clara, and ofc, they two lovely ladies on Doctor's desk. I am so buzzed for the next episode.
Original post by prostheticzeta
Loved it, probably the best opening season first episode so far (in the new era ofc)
Loved the character Bill and Capaldi looked great. I think bbc have realised their target audience and I think the uni experience was a great addition to the story line :biggrin:! The lesbian zombie was a bit dodgy but it did scare the heck out of me so credit to that too ! I loved all the little references to Rose, Clara, and ofc, they two lovely ladies on Doctor's desk. I am so buzzed for the next episode.

Clara, Amy and Martha all had better openers.
Original post by prostheticzeta

Target audience as in the throwaway fans you mean? I semi agree as these are the ones that will be the numbers but most won't be proper fans they just want their next fix.

Theres dicussions over the internet about the next Doctor being a attractive young/ish male or female because of course the young fans are the SJW's

Older actual fans wouldn't care and just want whos best for the role.
Original post by Rakas21
Clara, Amy and Martha all had better openers.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion!
Target audience as in the throwaway fans you mean? I semi agree as these are the ones that will be the numbers but most won't be proper fans they just want their next fix.

Theres dicussions over the internet about the next Doctor being a attractive young/ish male or female because of course the young fans are the SJW's

Haha i see what you mean! I would be against that as it annoys me when BBC tries to include content just to please their fans (like in recent episodes of Sherlock) it's alright when it's subtle, but purposely casting a handsome doctor is a big no for me :/

Eeerrr what? The people at university are the ones who grew up with the show re-boot, so why don't you consider them proper fans?!
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Eeerrr what? The people at university are the ones who grew up with the show re-boot, so why don't you consider them proper fans?!

That was't what I said though and besides have you not counted the people who grew up with the show as its 54 years old this year.

Why is only the university age the target audience? Why not younger, why not people who grew up with the classic show?

The point was the youth fans will be the ones who have specific expecations for the series such as political correctness, like focusing on Bills sexuality and ethnicity as well as gender.

I frequent multiple Dr Who fansites who see people like Mickey or Jack Harkness as representations of etnicity and sexuality being modern in the show, its the young fans who focus on political correctness more and have certain expecations, the same ones that want a young doctor or a female doctor as well.

Many are fans but in a throwaway sense, the show is another consumerable item.
just finished watching it and i really enjoyed it! looking forward to the rest! :biggrin:

im not sure but, at the end when they were showing whats coming up in the next few episodes, i thought it was the Master as in when he was played by John Simm but im not sure? like right at the end
Original post by cupcakes87
just finished watching it and i really enjoyed it! looking forward to the rest! :biggrin:

im not sure but, at the end when they were showing whats coming up in the next few episodes, i thought it was the Master as in when he was played by John Simm but im not sure? like right at the end

It is, he is returning.

[video="youtube;ieHqvcd6gW8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHqvcd6gW8[/video]

Personally i absolutely loved him. Perfect mix of evil and crazy.
Original post by Rakas21
It is, he is returning.

[video="youtube;ieHqvcd6gW8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHqvcd6gW8[/video]

Personally i absolutely loved him. Perfect mix of evil and crazy.

OMG YES!! haha same! i love him!! :woo: now im even more excited haha! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending