The Student Room Group

Can you be born a paedophile?

Ok, let me just get something straight- i'm not questioning if I have been born a paedo, nor if anyone else I know has been born a paedo.

Right,

Some people argue that you are born straight, gay or asexual. Other people argue that your childhood influences your sexual orientation. Paedophiles have a sexual attraction to kids, the same way a man may have a sexual attraction to a woman.

So are paedophiles born as paedophiles? Could it be spotted from a young age? You wouldn't want a little paedophile running round your house would you?

I know you have to be at least 16 to be classed as one, but with some kids you can tell if they are going to be gay or asexual when they grow up. Can a person be influenced in their childhood to end up a paedo? (Surely if you kept telling your child it's OK to have sexual relationships with kids then they wouldn't think it was a bad thing?)

This is a genuine question btw. I'm wondering why people end up as paedos. It's a sexual attraction to children, the same way you can have a sexual attraction to men or women. Do people just 'end up' as a paedo? Like when a gay person discovers they are gay, does a paedophile discover they are a paedo (Do they not try to fight it?)

As I say, i'm not trolling. With all the stuff lately in the press i'm just wondering about it. I'm probably missing something that explains it all, or there is a simple answer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's classed as a mental disorder, the same a being schizophrenic, except illegal. Your not born that way, but things in your life, maybe trauma and childhoods lead you to that illness, and your brain has the abilities or abnormality to function in such a way. It's classed as mental illness really, I'm not 100% sure but that's my take on it
This may sound strange but I view paedophillia as perhaps another sexual orientiation/mental problem.

BEFORE YOU NEG ME.

This is because paedophiles are sexually attracted to children just as someone is sexually attracted to a member of the opposite or same sex. This HAS been observed because there was this one guy (can't remember name) and he developed a brain tumour, however, over the course of having this tumour, he developed a paedophilic attraction, when it was removed, his paedophilic urges were removed.
It then returned and the process started over again.

So, clearly there is something in the BRAIN which causes these feelings towards children to occur, I AM NOT defending paedophiles, however, I think it is clear from this we don't know enough about the human brain.

Clearly something changed in this guy and the tumour caused it. I got this story from my bio teacher (who happens to be head of bio and chem) lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CheekiiMonkii
Possibly... but if your parents bring you up in a very homely mannered way then the likelihood of you showing out to the world that you're a paeodophile would be lessened.... so i say nurture > nature :smile: :yep:

Not really.
You can't help who you are attracted to HOWEVER, you can resist the urges you are presented with.
Reply 4
Original post by Alice.181
I think it's classed as a mental disorder, the same a being schizophrenic, except illegal. Your not born that way, but things in your life, maybe trauma and childhoods lead you to that illness, and your brain has the abilities or abnormality to function in such a way. It's classed as mental illness really, I'm not 100% sure but that's my take on it

I think it's only classed as a mental disorder because it can cause harm or something.
Reply 5
Knowing this country, in 25 years time Adults will be allowed to marry children.

Im not sure if it's a mental disorder or just a pure sexual attraction. Like some people like having sex with and are attracted to animals. I'd just consider it another sexual attraction.
(edited 11 years ago)
Why can't it be both? Nature isn't so black and white for the answer to be one or the other.

One thing's for sure though. I am sure becoming a paedo and liking children isn't a rational decision, so why do the general public react with such animosity and anger when they hear about them? Sure, they should be locked up, but it really takes an ignorant simpleton to hate a person who can't help their sexual inclinations.
I don't think so, I think it's all down to environment.
Usually I think pedophiles have some sort of childhood trauma or a series of childhood events which affects them in one way or another, leading them to think in a certain way.

I don't think it's something you're born with. Though it could be the case...you never really know, there could be a gene which codes for attraction towards a certain preference, those of a younger age being that preference.

Instinctively though, I think it's down to environment
Original post by Spontogical
Knowing this country, in 25 years time Adults will be allowed to marry children.

Im not sure if it's a mental disorder or just a pure sexual attraction. Like some people like having sex with and are attracted to animals. I'd just consider it another sexual attraction.

I doubt this. I suspect it's a form of behavioural difficulty that derives from traumatic incidents in childhood. A great many people who engage in this type of behaviour were themselves either violently or sexually abused as young children (or both) and were not able to get any kind of help or escape from it so that they could have a chance to lead a normal, healthy sex life as adults and not have this huge problem that causes great harm to children.

I am in no way making excuses for the loathsome behaviour that paedophilia represents, but it is something that requires treatment and it isn't something that people are "born with".
I don't really think it changes anything, but I've always said that all sexual desires are a combination of nurture and nature. I'm sure many people have the nature to be a paedophile, just as many have the nature to be heterosexual and gay. But most of them won't be because they won't have the nurture circumstances. I mean we're not born to find suits and lingerie brands appealing, we grow into our sexuality based on when we consciously make associations, and unfortunately for paedophiles they make them with children just as most of us do with expensive clothing.
Reply 10
Original post by Scienceisgood
Not really.
You can't help who you are attracted to HOWEVER, you can resist the urges you are presented with.

Isn't that exactly what she said? :erm:
Original post by thatrollingstone
One thing's for sure though. I am sure becoming a paedo and liking children isn't a rational decision, so why do the general public react with such animosity and anger when they hear about them? Sure, they should be locked up, but it really takes an ignorant simpleton to hate a person who can't help their sexual inclinations.

To what extent is anyone responsible for anything? Psychopathic serial killers probably can't help their lack of certain emotions, but there are very few ways to accept them as part of society without limiting someone else's freedom.

Being a paedophile who acts on their inclinations also requires a lack of empathy towards their victim, which puts them in the same category of hatred as any other criminal. Hating a paedophile who doesn't act on their inclinations is wrong, but people do either because they don't understand what 'paedophile' means, or because they percieve them as a threat to their children. Sexual urges and the need to protect your children are two of the strongest base instincts there are.

Besides, the general public are always ignorant simpletons when acting as a mob, even if they're intelligent individuals :biggrin:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I don't really think it changes anything, but I've always said that all sexual desires are a combination of nurture and nature. I'm sure many people have the nature to be a paedophile, just as many have the nature to be heterosexual and gay. But most of them won't be because they won't have the nurture circumstances. I mean we're not born to find suits and lingerie brands appealing, we grow into our sexuality based on when we consciously make associations, and unfortunately for paedophiles they make them with children just as most of us do with expensive clothing.

The problem with thinking there might be some kind of genetic predisposition to paedophilia is that it opens up all kinds of wierd avenues of thought, like aborting babies who have the (non-existent) 'paedo-gene', etc.

There is a huge scientific literature on paedophilia and the overwhelming evidence is that it is strongly statistically linked to abuse during the childhood of the paedophile.
Reply 13
No silly, a paedophile is an adult who fancies kids, unless you were born an adult? :smile:
This may sound strange but I view paedophillia as perhaps another sexual orientiation/mental problem.

BEFORE YOU NEG ME.

This is because paedophiles are sexually attracted to children just as someone is sexually attracted to a member of the opposite or same sex. This HAS been observed because there was this one guy (can't remember name) and he developed a brain tumour, however, over the course of having this tumour, he developed a paedophilic attraction, when it was removed, his paedophilic urges were removed.
It then returned and the process started over again.

So, clearly there is something in the BRAIN which causes these feelings towards children to occur, I AM NOT defending paedophiles, however, I think it is clear from this we don't know enough about the human brain.

Clearly something changed in this guy and the tumour caused it. I got this story from my bio teacher (who happens to be head of bio and chem) lol.

Wow. So paedophillia can be cured. Man needs to be exploring this as it would be of great benefit to children and society in the long run. Easy as a brain op :s-smilie:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The problem with thinking there might be some kind of genetic predisposition to paedophilia is that it opens up all kinds of wierd avenues of thought, like aborting babies who have the (non-existent) 'paedo-gene', etc.

There is a huge scientific literature on paedophilia and the overwhelming evidence is that it is strongly statistically linked to abuse during the childhood of the paedophile.

To be honest, I think that those reports are selective in their attention, everyone is born with sexual desires. Babies rub their legs together in cots (as horrible a thought as that might be). Sexuality is well documented as not being based entirely on cultural influences, but only when it comes to homosexuality. For social reasons that you've said, nobody is really allowed to come out and say that paedophilia must have some genetic influence - but you're allowed to say that about homosexuality.

I'm not saying everyone born with the capabilities to be a paedophile will become that way inclined. They just have the potential to, in the same way people are born with the potential to become psychopaths or become incredibly creative. The abuse will trigger in them what it won't in others, the majority of children abused won't go on to become paedophiles.
Original post by Huskaris
No silly, a paedophile is an adult who fancies kids, unless you were born an adult? :smile:

Yes but a child who is born gay doesn't necessarily know until they are older, so you could be born a paedo but not know until you go through puberty and explore your sexuality more.
Original post by SubAtomic
Wow. So paedophillia can be cured. Man needs to be exploring this as it would be of great benefit to children and society in the long run. Easy as a brain op :s-smilie:

That was just an example. I doubt all paedophiles have a brain tumour causing it.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, although it needs to be said that morals aside, there is nothing wrong with being a paedophile. Just like there is nothing wrong with wanting to go and kill a bunch of people.

Unless you actually do anything wrong, then you are just as much a citizen as everyone else, and deserve the same rights.

Obviously once somebody does something - the book should be thrown at them.

Ideally people who had feelings for children (or killing people for that matter) should be able to get help without being considered a criminal. But being as it is, society would never allow that.
Original post by Octohedral
To what extent is anyone responsible for anything? Psychopathic serial killers probably can't help their lack of certain emotions, but there are very few ways to accept them as part of society without limiting someone else's freedom.

Being a paedophile who acts on their inclinations also requires a lack of empathy towards their victim, which puts them in the same category of hatred as any other criminal. Hating a paedophile who doesn't act on their inclinations is wrong, but people do either because they don't understand what 'paedophile' means, or because they percieve them as a threat to their children. Sexual urges and the need to protect your children are two of the strongest base instincts there are.

Besides, the general public are always ignorant simpletons when acting as a mob, even if they're intelligent individuals :biggrin:

I completely agree. Regardless of whether they are a threat to your children, it is still completely unwarranted to go beyond this realisation of a threat and to treat their sexual inclination and subsequent acts as a product of some sort of rational decision making. It's synonymous to hating tigers because they have a natural inclination to attack humans. Keep them away from society for sure, but hating them is just plain imbecilic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending