The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
you go advising people that UCL has (from inference) no edge of KCL. U Clearly ignore the fact that the vast majority of people pick UCL OVER KCL -yes i'm not in a position to say-but for "feck" sake can you understand that not everyone will agree with you?I'll leave it at that-oh sorry i already ended the matter in our series of PM's.
Reply 21
Well, I chose both. I personally slightly favoured UCL over KCL (facilities and course-wise) and as the UCL offer was higher (and my other offer was Reading AAB) I decided that I'd have UCL as my firm and KCL as my insurance. I'd rather go to UCL but I'd be more than happy at KCL.

If you're trying to decide between UCL and KCL on reputation and employment prospects alone, don't bother. You won't come to a clear-cut or satisfactory conclusion. People seem to think that because UCL offer AAA and KCL offer AAB, the former is superior. I don't think this is the case though.

Oh, and I'd trust what Lawz says. You can't argue with someone with a first from KCL, a distinction in the BCL and a job in a big City firm. Clearly he knows what he's talking about.
Reply 22
Visit both and pick up the one u prefer.
Don't underestimate the one u "disrcard", coz both are of the the same name--Uni of London. Moreover, you may choose some subjects from the other uni and meet many ppl from the other uni,too!
Congratulations on your offers and wish you good luck!
samigirl
For those of you that received offers from both, what were the deciding factors in terms of making a choice as to which uni to attend?

Or for those of you that weren't offered places but were hoping to get in, what were your reasons for preferring one uni over the other?

Thanks all :smile:

my mum had offers from both and chose kings because she found it a much more friendly place and didnt like the snotty attitude of the tutors at her ucl interview. i have found that ucl are unduely up themselves too, they sent me a letter asking me if i would choose them over oxford when i was applying for undergrad; durham and kings gave me a much better vibe and i chose durham as my insurance, but still i have a fondness for kings.
Reply 24
pendragon
my mum had offers from both and chose kings because she found it a much more friendly place and didnt like the snotty attitude of the tutors at her ucl interview. i have found that ucl are unduely up themselves too, they sent me a letter saying asking me if i would choose them over oxford when i was applying for undergrad, durham and kings gave me a much better vibe and i chose durham as my insurance, but i have a fondness for kings.
Hmm, strange. I found UCL to be far the more friendly place when I went on Open Days.
Reply 25
TommehR
Hmm, strange. I found UCL to be far the more friendly place when I went on Open Days.

believe me they change once you're there. my mate has had a really bad time with them. Seems really nice. isn't in reality. I went to an open day too and I was momentarily beguiled by the way they present themselves too.
Reply 26
Baadshah
believe me they change once you're there. my mate has had a really bad time with them. Seems really nice. isn't in reality. I went to an open day too and I was momentarily beguiled by the way they present themselves too.

Asking TommehR to believe that the reality of his future university is not nice based on the 'mate' of someone who is going to Kings, and thus has already developed an extreme fondness for such university, is bizarre. :p:
Reply 27
Baadshah
Well, they were far friendlier on the open day that I went to. I was very disappointed with the KCL open day. Our tour guide could hardly speak English and the professors didn't seem particularly friendly.

I also agree with what Mike says. Why should I believe you based purely on what your 'mate' has experienced?
Reply 28
TommehR
Well, they were far friendlier on the open day that I went to. I was very disappointed with the KCL open day. Our tour guide could hardly speak English and the professors didn't seem particularly friendly.

I also agree with what Mike says. Why should I believe you based purely on what your 'mate' has experienced?

I agree with TommehR; I visited both unis outside the "regular" open days and while I was asked at king's why I could not attend the open day the following weeks as she (the tutor in the law faculty) was not able tell my anything about my course, the assistant admission tutor in the UCL law faculty gave me a 10 min tour round the building and was incredibly informed.
TommehR

I can vouch for what TommehR is saying, i was there on the same KCL and UCL open days.
Reply 30
can't speak for kcl, as havn't visited or applied there, but when i went to my ucl interview the tutors and staff went to soo much trouble makin evryone feel welcome, and the older students were sooo friendly and outgoing....generally got a reallllyy goood vibe about UCL, and the building and facilities are also incred. having visited ucl, i cant really see myself going anywhere else tbh, but that is ofcourse my subjective opinion.
kcl were lovely to me, i spoke to a professor at the war studies dept. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending