The Student Room Group

How to not be so serious

As I've gotten older, I've become more and more introverted which I'm fine with because I generally prefer my own company to others.

I feel uncomfortable around most people and I act so serious around people I don't know. I'm fine around my friends but if someone else that I don't like is hanging around with us, I immediately feel awkward.

One of my friends said when she first met me she thought I didn't like her because I acted so cold towards her and stand-offish, I can see what she means but I didn't mean to come across that way because I genuinely did like her. Others also say the same thing to me once they get to know me. It can take literally months or even years for me to stop feeling awkward around people I see regularly. I even begin to feel awkward when I go to see friends I haven't seen in months. I wish there was like an off switch and I could act normal with people.

I feel really bad for being like that with people because they think I don't like them, but it's just because I don't know to deal with new people and I clam up. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to stop taking things so seriously?
Reply 1
Do you think you are just becoming more shy? I think lots of people are the same with new people and then open up as they get to know them better.

Maybe make the effort to ask people questions, doesn't mean you have to talk much until you feel comfortable, but makes it look like you are interested in people :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gummibear
Do you think you are just becoming more shy? I think lots of people are the same with new people and then open up as they get to know them better.

Maybe make the effort to ask people questions, doesn't mean you have to talk much until you feel comfortable, but makes it look like you are interested in people :smile:

I don't think I'm shy because I can talk to people that I like easily but I find it difficult with most people. Yeah maybe I'll try that, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending