The Student Room Group

barely legal drivers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ROG.
What was that supposed advanced driving course ???!!!

Looked like a few hours off road to me which taught nowt for on road driving

When the guy is talking you can see part of the webstie in the background and it's not advanced driving. Lol.
http://www.youngdriver.eu/

It's a compnay that gives young children the chance to drive.

I think the guy was a much safer driver for 99% of the journeys. His only mistake was not being used to working out how much you can drink before driving so he needs a leaflet and driving at 100mph for a second on an empty motorway in the middle of the night. Neither of which the driving course will do anything for.

I can't even be bothered with the girl. She was ridiculously terrible, a lot worse than the guy and very dangerous several times as she would be eating, doing make up etc. She had one drive where she didn't spend the entire time on the phone then cries a bit and she gets a new car. Flipping crazy tbh.
Original post by mje1986
SO you suggest arresting every young driver who makes a mistake or listens to music?, that trailer showed nothing more than what most young/new drivers do but they added a few noises and faces of parents to make it more dramatic.

Listening to music is not illegal.

Taking your hands off the steering wheel to dance, use your phone, eat and put on lipstick - sometimes while on the motorway is.

As is going 30 m/p/h over the speed limit, in wet conditions, on the motorway and trying to drive nearly twice over the speed limit.

Did you watch this at all?
(edited 11 years ago)
Watching it made me so angry, I had to switch it off. Sick and tired of people like this ruining it for the rest of us. Neither of them deserved a car. If that was my child, they would have not been getting a car.
Original post by Motorbiker
I can't even be bothered with the girl. She was ridiculously terrible, a lot worse than the guy and very dangerous several times as she would be eating, doing make up etc. She had one drive where she didn't spend the entire time on the phone then cries a bit and she gets a new car. Flipping crazy tbh.

I agree. Watching her actually made me quite angry.

She was using her phone, driving without her hands on the wheel, applying lipstick.. on the motorway?! And don't get me started on that road rage - half of which I'm pretty sure was self-inflicted as she was getting angry at people beeping her for cutting them up.

But because by the end of it she was using her phone less and she had a little cry she deserves a car? Psch. Instead, she should have been shown some of those videos that detail what can happen due to lack of concentration when behind the wheel.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I agree. Watching her actually made me quite angry.

She was using her phone, driving without her hands on the wheel, applying lipstick.. on the motorway?! And don't get me started on that road rage - half of which I'm pretty sure was self-inflicted as she was getting angry at people beeping her for cutting them up.

But because by the end of it she was using her phone less and she had a little cry she deserves a car? Psch. Instead, she should have been shown some of those videos that detail what can happen due to lack of concentration when behind the wheel.

Original post by HopefulMidwife
Watching it made me so angry, I had to switch it off. Sick and tired of people like this ruining it for the rest of us. Neither of them deserved a car. If that was my child, they would have not been getting a car.

Agree with both of these,

Watching her actually infuriated me, Always the minority that let everyone down.
People like her that give Young Drivers a bad name.

I genuinely think it should be made mandatory for black boxes to be installed in cars to make your insurance personal to you and therefore, fair.
People like that, that make it so hard for me to get cheap insurance!!!
Reply 25
Why is the woman harsher on the guys? She was fuming about him running through red lights (ones that had just gone past amber). But didn't seem to be too bothered about the girl that went through the light that had been red for a while?

Also the camera car also ran the red lights lol.
Original post by Camoxide
Why is the woman harsher on the guys? She was fuming about him running through red lights (ones that had just gone past amber). But didn't seem to be too bothered about the girl that went through the light that had been red for a while?

Also the camera car also ran the red lights lol.

A lot of her judgements do seem a bit random which I suppose is partly due to the way the show is edited - we don't see the full picture. She did seem particularly unfair in the second episode today and I was very surprised that she recommended the girl be given a car. Both of the drivers on this episode were terrible.

It is very frustrating to see people driving like that especially when I am currently putting a lot of time and effort in to becoming a good driver. It's also a shame that they only focus on poor drivers. I know it's not exactly in the spirit of the show but would be nice to see some careful and responsible drivers who actually deserve it getting a car rather than these idiots.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
I'm beginning to spot a pattern between who gets the car and who doesn't... gender wise. It seems a little biased as like others have pointed out, either none of them should of got the car or they should all have as they had equal amounts of bad driving moments.
(edited 11 years ago)
They both seemed equally terrible and nowhere near deserving a car.

She does seem overly generous to the girls i the show but it's only a small sample size so far.
My main problem with the show is that it gives the wrong idea to parents and other adults. They'll see that and think that this is how most teenagers are driving and it just re-enforces the stereotypes that people have. That's without even going into the issue of whether they should get the car or not.
I'm thinking the police officer lady had a bad experience with the male gender, perhaps a bad break-up or something, but definitely seeing a pattern! haha

But why should either get a car? theres plenty of young drivers who drive responsibly and wouldn't dream of doing the things they did, yet they don't get a car. Quite annoying, it's only really focusing on those who do it wrong, and it's rewarding them for doing wrong! logic? Running red lights, and speeding excessively shouldn't be happening, but oh wait we'll give them a car anyway haha.

Im not saying this because I'm jealous either, i luckily have my own car, just so happens that it's actually a Corsa like both the girls were given haha
Reply 31
I liked this week's show how they had a go at the guy for going through 3 'red lights' (one of which was amber when he went through, one which had only that second gone red) when the camera car followed him through both of them. He seemed to have a very bad attitude at the end after being confronted though.

As for the female driver, I think she's the best one of all of them shown in the series so far. She went through a red light, but at least she looked both ways first and did it cautiously, rather than blatantly ignoring it and going through at speed. That's not a good thing, but that was the only really bad thing I saw her do in the show. She also seemed a bit clueless at times about directions and which lane to be in, etc, but it was her first week of driving, and that should improve with experience.
Reply 32
Original post by HopefulMidwife
Listening to music is not illegal.

Taking your hands off the steering wheel to dance, use your phone, eat and put on lipstick - sometimes while on the motorway is.

As is going 30 m/p/h over the speed limit, in wet conditions, on the motorway and trying to drive nearly twice over the speed limit.

Did you watch this at all?

How could i of seen the show when it hadn't even aired on the T.V when i made the original post - I even pointed to this by the following
that trailer showed nothing more than what most young/new drivers do but they added a few noises and faces of parents to make it more dramatic.

I suggest better attention to detail before pulling someone up

Toodles
Original post by mje1986
How could i of seen the show when it hadn't even aired on the T.V when i made the original post - I even pointed to this by the following
that trailer showed nothing more than what most young/new drivers do but they added a few noises and faces of parents to make it more dramatic.

I suggest better attention to detail before pulling someone up

Toodles

:rolleyes:
I'm half an hour in and Chantelle annoys me like there's no tomorrow

Tommy seems so bloody arrogant as well, but a much much better driver. I don't like him as a person, but he's a good driver

Original post by NatashaLee
I'm thinking the police officer lady had a bad experience with the male gender, perhaps a bad break-up or something, but definitely seeing a pattern! haha

But why should either get a car? theres plenty of young drivers who drive responsibly and wouldn't dream of doing the things they did, yet they don't get a car. Quite annoying, it's only really focusing on those who do it wrong, and it's rewarding them for doing wrong! logic? Running red lights, and speeding excessively shouldn't be happening, but oh wait we'll give them a car anyway haha.

Im not saying this because I'm jealous either, i luckily have my own car, just so happens that it's actually a Corsa like both the girls were given haha

I agree. Im lucky in the sense that I have a better car than the ones shown in the show, but bloody hell! The guys do seem to drive better there. Chantelle is still so bloody damn annoying!
(edited 11 years ago)
Not exactly the fondest sources, but the Daily Mail and a few other sites are saying the police will be looking into these cases.

I suppose they may be let off the hook for the drink driving (non-government grade equipment being used and not in a manner which is used by the police to conduct a DUI test) and the speeding (again, proably non-standardised equipment) or just be given a warning for those. The things like running red lights and acting like prats could probably be used as evidence though.

I did watch one of the episodes as a point of reference, and they just simply should not be on the roads. Giving someone a car for "only breaking the law a few times less than before" is absolutely idiotic and they should not be behind the wheel. Absolutely nobody in that programme (not the ex-policewoman, the parents, the friends, the producers nor the drivers themselves) show any real consideration for what these people are doing. Nobody cares just how terrible these people are at driving - It's mostly luck that nobody was really injured.

Believe me, I really dislike suggesting anything that may require the monitoring of people... But screw these guys. Give them points, or arrest them. With youth insurance rates so high, and people waving their arms around basically shouting "yeah, I'm the reason why!", I wouldn't feel sorry for them facing massive penalties for it. It's certainly not just young people to blame, but it is the young people who feel the effects of the insurance the most. Stick a black box in a speeder's car or enforce curfews for those who have been convicted of being irresponsible whilst carrying many passengers.

Yeah, I do hate to think that it would ever come to that, but these people are idiots. There is no excuse (television and entertainment is certainly not one) and those who are proven to be a hazard should be facing penalties. It's too easy to get away with being a bad driver - Just pay a fine and then carry on until you're caught the next time. It's sad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by SillyEddy
Not exactly the fondest sources, but the Daily Mail and a few other sites are saying the police will be looking into these cases.

I suppose they may be let off the hook for the drink driving (non-government grade equipment being used and not in a manner which is used by the police to conduct a DUI test) and the speeding (again, proably non-standardised equipment) or just be given a warning for those. The things like running red lights and acting like prats could probably be used as evidence though.

I did watch one of the episodes as a point of reference, and they just simply should not be on the roads. Giving someone a car for "only breaking the law a few times less than before" is absolutely idiotic and they should not be behind the wheel. Absolutely nobody in that programme (not the ex-policewoman, the parents, the friends, the producers nor the drivers themselves) show any real consideration for what these people are doing. Nobody cares just how terrible these people are at driving - It's mostly luck that nobody was really injured.

Believe me, I really dislike suggesting anything that may require the monitoring of people... But screw these guys. Give them points, or arrest them. With youth insurance rates so high, and people waving their arms around basically shouting "yeah, I'm the reason why!", I wouldn't feel sorry for them facing massive penalties for it. It's certainly not just young people to blame, but it is the young people who feel the effects of the insurance the most. Stick a black box in a speeder's car or enforce curfews for those who have been convicted of being irresponsible whilst carrying many passengers.

Yeah, I do hate to think that it would ever come to that, but these people are idiots. There is no excuse (television and entertainment is certainly not one) and those who are proven to be a hazard should be facing penalties. It's too easy to get away with being a bad driver - Just pay a fine and then carry on until you're caught the next time. It's sad.

I definitely agree with you there, I'd very much support the introduction of restrictions after being prosecuted for certain driving offences, especially drink driving. A 1 year ban, plus a 3 year period of compulsory driver monitoring with a GPS tracking device would be quite good, along with restrictions on adding that driver as a named driver on another policy, to ensure that they can't use a non-tracked vehicle.

Also, 12 points should ALWAYS mean an instant ban. Currently, if you can convince a magistrate that you really need your car for some purpose, you can exceed 12 points. I think there is at least one person in the UK with 36 points on their licence currently. This is NOT acceptable - if you need your car you should drive it more safely. That is the whole purpose of having the penalty points system, to give you a second (and third, and fourth) chance before you get your licence revoked. Under no circumstances should you be allowed to get 36 points, I don't care what your circumstances are, if you find it that difficult to drive to a safe and legal standard, take a taxi or get someone more responsible to drive.

Irresponsible and careless drivers are a danger to others, regardless of their age.

I agree with this a large amount. They're dangerous and unsafe drivers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2307414/Barely-Legal-Drivers-Police-probe-BBC-reality-300-complain-teen-motorists.html

For others reading this.

It could be useful to raise the issues of stuff like driving the day after drinking but rewarding these idiots with cars on the BBCs wage is crazy.
Original post by Motorbiker
It could be useful to raise the issues of stuff like driving the day after drinking but rewarding these idiots with cars on the BBCs wage is crazy.

Yeah, when I heard about how much he had drunk and how soon afterwards he was driving, it was pretty insane. Even if he could break down a unit-per-hour, he would've been way over the limit and must've been pretty exhausted. His head was clearly not in the right place. I'm surprised because most people, even those who don't drive, seem to know of that rule of thumb anyway.

It was not responsible to give a car to any of those drivers... Forget the driving test standards, they just simply did not comply with any safe or legal standard of driving. There are so many more drivers out there who would benefit from a car, and yet it goes to those who are absolute nutters on the road.

My only concern with issuing breathalyser tests to people is that they could assume being a fraction under the limit suddenly makes it safe. I'm sure one of those gadget programmes compared several consumer ones and found that they were misreading too. Hence why, despite it being 2x the limit, the footage of the breathalyser test would probably not stand up in court because it really wasn't an "official" test.

It just surprises me that we are able to have a growing population with those sorts out and about.
(edited 11 years ago)

I did wonder whether there would be criminal repercussions for any of the drivers featured. Like you say the video of them using mobile phones etc. while driving is pretty much unequivocal evidence of an offence. It will be interesting to see how the BBC respond - they surely must have seen this coming ?

I think the way the programme has been done is a real shame. It could have been a good opportunity to highlight unsafe habits and actually help improve young people's driving. Sadly they have focused on utterly awful drivers who should not be on the roads anyway and the "punishment" is a pathetic slap on the wrist. To be honest messing around on that skidpan looked quite fun...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending