The Student Room Group

Why is the Church getting Involved In Politics...

I'm really sick and tired of hearing what the Church thinks about national politics on the BBC.... Religion needs to say out of Government! End of.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jturner12
I'm really sick and tired of hearing what the Church thinks about national politics on the BBC.... Religion needs to say out of Government! End of.

They are both interested on issue about gay marriage
Reply 2
I'm assuming that that is because you are opposed to Christianity/religion. But why shouldn't the Church be involved in politics - we live in a democracy after all! If business and charities and other special interest groups can be involved in politics, then why shouldn't organised religion be as well? In fact, as we have an established church (CofE), it arguably has a stronger argument for involvement in government than any other religious or secular organisation.

The Church are entitled to their opinion just as you are, and I'm certainly more interested in hearing the Church's opinion than your opinion.
Reply 4

Well then we need separation of church and state don't we.
We have unelected bishops in the house of lords

Apart from the fact that we are a Christian country, and the head of our country is the Queen... who is also the head of the Church of England. I think the reason the Church gets involved is because the decisions made by the government affect them... they rarely get involved in the politics that don't directly affect them. To be fair this could be said to all sorts of people, why do students get involved with politics etc. I'm not trying to say the Church should get involved (although if it affects them they probably should have a say :P) but that is why they get involved!
Reply 7
Who will speak out for the poor and oppressed in society? Atheists?! haha!

They're probably too busy discussing the differences between atheism and theism to even care.

Just sayin' :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
The Church is involved with politics because there is a large Christian population in this nation. There are representatives from Muslim, Jewish and Christians communities in the HOL which is full of unelected peers
Reply 9
They're another interest group like any other, why shouldn't they be political about things which affect them? On the other hand, they're just another interest group, why should their voice carry disproportionately more weight than any other?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by sevchenko
The Church is involved with politics because there is a large Christian population in this nation. There are representatives from Muslim, Jewish and Christians communities in the HOL which is full of unelected peers

There is a large Christian population in this country?? What country are you living in.. because back down in reality.. we don't believe in fairy tails and animals walking onto boats 2 by 2.. we don't live in Candyland where the world is flat... If a guy walked into the center of town.. ranting and raving about hearing voices in his head.. or that there's a pit of fire waiting for anybody that doesn't prayer so something no one has ever proven... they would stick him in a padded cell.. so why do we allow any religious cult to influence how we live... I find it ridiculous.. Now i go to bed.
Reply 11
The Church has looked at history, and its silence on many evils- Communism and Nazism spring to mind- has not done it any favours (although the church was not entirely silent on them, they could've done a heck of a lot more). The Church has also woken up and realised that one of the reasons America is so much more religious than Europe is because the church there doesn't stay silent, it stays relevant, and has done ever since the Civil Rights Movement.

It's also good to see the Church taking a break from the less important issues and engaging itself with defending the poor in the UK, and giving them a voice, which would not be as powerful otherwise.

It finds itself in a precarious position- stay silent on social issues that hurt the impoverished, and it's accused of doing nothing, and get involved with them, it's accused of violating the secular nature of society. I for one welcome the Church standing up for the poorest in society.
Reply 12
So you think their opinion is irrelevant regarding such issues as gay marriage?

The Church is a pressure group like Greenpeace or any other; they will aim to push the Government to pass law which benefit them and which fit with the way they work. Anyone is going to take an interest in law which affects them and the Church is no different.
Bishops also sit in the House of Lords so they have a direct say on law. And rightly so. Whether you like it or not, this is a Christian country. Just because many don't consider themselves Christian today doesn't negate the influence Christianity had, and still has, on our culture. In my opinion, with the rise of 'multiculturalism' the influence of the Church is more important than ever in protecting our heritage.
(edited 11 years ago)
I agree. Every religion has become so involved within politics, and it is totally unnecessary.
Reply 14
Original post by navarre
The Church has looked at history, and its silence on many evils- Communism and Nazism spring to mind- has not done it any favours (although the church was not entirely silent on them, they could've done a heck of a lot more). The Church has also woken up and realised that one of the reasons America is so much more religious than Europe is because the church there doesn't stay silent, it stays relevant, and has done ever since the Civil Rights Movement.

It's also good to see the Church taking a break from the less important issues and engaging itself with defending the poor in the UK, and giving them a voice, which would not be as powerful otherwise.

It finds itself in a precarious position- stay silent on social issues that hurt the impoverished, and it's accused of doing nothing, and get involved with them, it's accused of violating the secular nature of society. I for one welcome the Church standing up for the poorest in society.

The Church slaughtered millions of people. Fact.
Reply 15
The Church slaughtered millions of people. Fact.

It did once, hundreds of years ago. It is not doing so right now.
Reply 16
Original post by Arbolus
It did once, hundreds of years ago. It is not doing so right now.

As long as its not now then.. phew.. and I thought murder was murder.. didn't think it had an expiry date.

Now its just little boys they want to play with.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
As long as its not now then.. phew.. and I thought murder was murder.. didn't think it had an expiry date.

Now its just little boys they want to play with.

It is people who commit murder, not organisations. The Church today is not responsible for the actions of the Church of centuries past, and any blame that could be laid at its feet expired when the people who did the murdering died.
Reply 18
Why are trade unions involved in politics?

Religion isn't really in government.

If you don't want to listen, change the channel, no one is forcing you.

The Church has as much right to voice its opinion as any other body.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending