The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

DD131 / open degree start Oct 2013

Hey I'm enrolled to start my Open degree in October this year, and am starting with a 30 credit level 1 course DD131 Introducing the Social Sciences Part One. Is anyone else out there doing this module at the moment or starting in October? Or doing an open degree starting in October? Would love to find people to study / discuss subject content with when I start :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did that module a few years ago

Sent from my GT-S5363
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by ladybex1994
Hey I'm enrolled to start my Open degree in October this year, and am starting with a 30 credit level 1 course DD131 Introducing the Social Sciences Part One. Is anyone else out there doing this module at the moment or starting in October? Or doing an open degree starting in October? Would love to find people to study / discuss subject content with when I start :smile:

I'm doing an Open Degree :smile: I've just registered for Discovering Psychology in October, along with creative writing. I'm just finishing another psychology module that I deferred the exam for :eek:

Hey I am enrolling for the open degree October start has well :smile: and it is one of the level 1 courses I am considering doing so you never know we could be study buddies :biggrin: :tongue: lol
Reply 4
I'm doing an Open degree, I only have 1 year left though.
Reply 5
Original post by Lazuliblue
I'm doing an Open Degree :smile: I've just registered for Discovering Psychology in October, along with creative writing. I'm just finishing another psychology module that I deferred the exam for :eek:

Oh my actual goodness!! I am basically doing Psychology and Creative writing as my degree, that's crazy!! I start DSE141 (Discovering Psychology) in February 2014 though :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by animemanic 91
Hey I am enrolling for the open degree October start has well :smile: and it is one of the level 1 courses I am considering doing so you never know we could be study buddies :biggrin: :tongue: lol

If so then I'd love to be :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by dg2009
I'm doing an Open degree, I only have 1 year left though.

How have you found it?
If so then I'd love to be :smile:

Yay!! :biggrin:
Reply 9

Hey :smile: I just enrolled to start in October 2013 in exactly the same course as you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm still undecided about what degree to take. There's so many interesting modules that an open degree is tempting atm. I've just signed up to SK121 Understanding cardiovascular diseases as a stand alone module. Gives me a bit more time to think but at least I've finally made a start. If I do decide on a named degree I'm hoping to be able to include it as a free choice module though if they do phase out all the 15 credit modules then I won't be able to I assume.
Reply 11
curtis871 that sounds awesome, I hope you enjoy the course!

AlexMerrick that's great!!! I'd love to chat :smile: x
curtis871 that sounds awesome, I hope you enjoy the course!

AlexMerrick that's great!!! I'd love to chat :smile: x

Haha yeah, getting impatient waiting for it to start already :tongue:. Hows the waiting for you? A whole extra month for you to wait!
Reply 13

Original post by Lazuliblue

Original post by animemanic 91

Original post by AlexMerrick
Hey :smile: I just enrolled to start in October 2013 in exactly the same course as you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've registered for the Open degree starting in October (after putting it off last year in a panic).I've spent ages looking at all the different options but think I've finally made my mind up about the first modules.............. I plan to start DD131 in October, then DSE141 in Feb 2014 and W100 Oct 2014. You all seem to be going down similar routes to me so it would be good to keep in touch if you want to.
The only thing I'm wondering about now is, if I start these modules towards an Open degree does anyone know how difficult it is to change to a named one after level one or if its even possible? These modules seem to appear in a few named degrees but am unsure what direction I want to go in at the moment, hence the Open option.
I'm just coming to the end of both DD131 (Introducing the social sciences: Part 1) and DSE141 (Discovering psychology). I have to say I've not enjoyed DD131 as much as I thought I would, but social science in general isn't really my interest, it was a compulsary module. But it is really broad and introduces you to sociology, geography, politics, psychology and economics which is really fantastic if that's where your interest lies.

As for DD141 which I saw someone post about, I have loved every single bit of it! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by jcolesy
I've registered for the Open degree starting in October (after putting it off last year in a panic).I've spent ages looking at all the different options but think I've finally made my mind up about the first modules.............. I plan to start DD131 in October, then DSE141 in Feb 2014 and W100 Oct 2014. You all seem to be going down similar routes to me so it would be good to keep in touch if you want to.
The only thing I'm wondering about now is, if I start these modules towards an Open degree does anyone know how difficult it is to change to a named one after level one or if its even possible? These modules seem to appear in a few named degrees but am unsure what direction I want to go in at the moment, hence the Open option.

Hey!!! That's great :smile: I'd love to chat, just drop me a PM. As for changing from an open to a named degree... I think you can only do it if youve specifically done the modules in one of the named degrees in which case why go for an open? I think open degrees are more creative and there's more room to learn about whatever you want!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by curtis871
Haha yeah, getting impatient waiting for it to start already :tongue:. Hows the waiting for you? A whole extra month for you to wait!

I don't mind too much lol :smile: I start my full time job in two weeks so I'm more nervous about that right now!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Simone.xox
I'm just coming to the end of both DD131 (Introducing the social sciences: Part 1) and DSE141 (Discovering psychology). I have to say I've not enjoyed DD131 as much as I thought I would, but social science in general isn't really my interest, it was a compulsary module. But it is really broad and introduces you to sociology, geography, politics, psychology and economics which is really fantastic if that's where your interest lies.

As for DD141 which I saw someone post about, I have loved every single bit of it! :smile:

Hmmm a tiny bit worrying that you didn't enjoy the social sciences module :s I'm not sure I will, but hey everyone is different! On the other hand its comforting that you liked the psychology module so much :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't mind too much lol :smile: I start my full time job in two weeks so I'm more nervous about that right now!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with the new job :biggrin:. Was that planned when you signed up to these modules?
Reply 19
Original post by curtis871
Good luck with the new job :biggrin:. Was that planned when you signed up to these modules?

Yes, before I got the job I had planned to go to college, but I couldn't do both lol! And thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest