The Student Room Group

I accidently touched the mirror :(

So I just got my new camera, a Nikon D3100 and I suppose me being new to this and out of curiosity I touched the mirror. Obviously, I have now realised my mistake. I looked through the viewfinder and took a couple of shots and I couldn't see any particles/finger print marks/dust. Do you think its worth getting it checked out or should I just leave it??
I'm sure its fine, after all you only touched it and if everything feels and looks fine, then it probably is
I'd recommend (for this particular situation and any others in the future,) investing in a Lens cleaning pen. They're quite cheap on Amazon and i'm sure Ebay too. I got one for my Canon last year and it literally takes seconds just to wipe over the Lens. Might be an idea to use that first, see if you have any problems/notice any marks and if so, decide what to do then. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
ok, thx for the replies :smile: i'll make sure to invest in one of those too.
Reply 4
It should be fine. Just remember that the mirror isn't the sensor. I managed to get the mirror (and some of the pentaprism) covered in mud and rain one time and I just wiped it off.

If it's particularly dirty, just get a light cleaning solution like lens cleaning fluid and try to clean it up a bit.

The only concern may be the accuracy of the focusing. I'm honestly not certain how DSLRs actually focus, but because visibility is maintained through the viewfinder while it happens, I can only assume the mirror and pentaprism (certainly the mirror) are important in this process. The cleanliness of the mirror must affect the quality of the light going to the focus points. If images are going out of focus, it may be worth really checking that it's super clean. At that stage I would take it to a shop for a thorough cleaning if you can't do it at home.
Reply 5
Original post by SillyEddy
It should be fine. Just remember that the mirror isn't the sensor. I managed to get the mirror (and some of the pentaprism) covered in mud and rain one time and I just wiped it off.

If it's particularly dirty, just get a light cleaning solution like lens cleaning fluid and try to clean it up a bit.

The only concern may be the accuracy of the focusing. I'm honestly not certain how DSLRs actually focus, but because visibility is maintained through the viewfinder while it happens, I can only assume the mirror and pentaprism (certainly the mirror) are important in this process. The cleanliness of the mirror must affect the quality of the light going to the focus points. If images are going out of focus, it may be worth really checking that it's super clean. At that stage I would take it to a shop for a thorough cleaning if you can't do it at home.

What on earth were you doing to get mud and rain inside your camera!?!
Reply 6
Original post by dhr90
What on earth were you doing to get mud and rain inside your camera!?!

I honestly have no idea. I shooting a track day event outside, which explains the rain. A while later I started noticing smudges in the view finder and the pentaprism was dirty. The mist had condensed inside the camera too.

I'm quite impressed because I was changing lenses under a cover and I usually take great care of them.
Reply 7
Original post by vdoto
ok, thx for the replies :smile: i'll make sure to invest in one of those too.

I would also be careful of those pens, some are very bad quality and can cause further issues. So make sure to get something well known and have a check :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SillyEddy
I honestly have no idea. I shooting a track day event outside, which explains the rain. A while later I started noticing smudges in the view finder and the pentaprism was dirty. The mist had condensed inside the camera too.

I'm quite impressed because I was changing lenses under a cover and I usually take great care of them.

Having been to a few motorsport events I get how rain could be a factor. You sure it was actual mud? Or just specs of dust/dirt (I'm visualising a great clump of mud right now)? Was the camera new when you got it?

If you ever shoot at night, don't put your camera away and expect to use it straight away the next day if its sunny. Absolute nightmare conditions for condensation :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by dhr90
Having been to a few motorsport events I get how rain could be a factor. You sure it was actual mud? Or just specs of dust/dirt (I'm visualising a great clump of mud right now)? Was the camera new when you got it?

If you ever shoot at night, don't put your camera away and expect to use it straight away the next day if its sunny. Absolute nightmare conditions for condensation :frown:

I can't quite remember. It definitely smeared though. It wasn't a clump of mud, but enough specks to cause a bit of a mess. This was a couple of years ago though and I still haven't cleaned the mirror properly. The camera was bought new over 4 years ago and so it has been generally well kept. I'll probably get it cleaned at some point, but I'm probably going to upgrade anyway.

For shooting cold weather I usually let the kit acclimatise to prevent condensation... But on the track day we were going out for a race then going back into the warmth while they prepared for the next session - Probably not a good mix!
Reply 10
What SillyEddy says is correct, the mirror isn't part of the actual capture of an image at all, it's involved in focusing and allowing the viewfinder to work but thats it. When you fire the shutter, the mirror flips up to expose the sensor (and several other layers) behind it.

It's involved in focus in that the light is bounced off the mirror then it is split off by other mirrors (pentamirror) or a prism (pentaprism) to go for focusing by detecting how big the contrast between lines on an image is.

I woudn't bother with it unless you can see the marks through the viewfinder. Keep you fingers out of the mirrorbox.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
On most DSLRs there is a setting so you can lock the mirror for cleaning. If you can see marks through the viewfinder (first check that the marks aren't on the viewfinder or lens) lock the mirror and use a lens cleaning pens to clean it
Reply 12
Original post by rach124
On most DSLRs there is a setting so you can lock the mirror for cleaning. If you can see marks through the viewfinder (first check that the marks aren't on the viewfinder or lens) lock the mirror and use a lens cleaning pens to clean it

You are refering to mirror lock-up, which locks the mirror up to allow cleaning of the sensor cluster behind it. Since the marks are on the mirror itself, this isn't needed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending