The Student Room Group

Revision !

As arrogant as this may sound, I am usually one of those hated people who manages to only start revising a few weeks before exams and still get top marks.

But there are 5 weeks until my A levels and I literally cannot force myself to revise this year. I've done none so far and am very aware that these exams are harder than any I've done before and that I have a lot of content to cover -

I'm not sure i'll manage to get the grades with 5 weeks prep and am pretty worried/on edge of panicking

So, basically I'm asking how do you guys motivate and force yourselves to revise? Any tips for someone in my position?
Original post by eeeeeh
As arrogant as this may sound, I am usually one of those hated people who manages to only start revising a few weeks before exams and still get top marks.

But there are 5 weeks until my A levels and I literally cannot force myself to revise this year. I've done none so far and am very aware that these exams are harder than any I've done before and that I have a lot of content to cover -

I'm not sure i'll manage to get the grades with 5 weeks prep and am pretty worried/on edge of panicking

So, basically I'm asking how do you guys motivate and force yourselves to revise? Any tips for someone in my position?

Hey,

I think everyone has those moments where they cannot revise and end up leaving till too late. My best advice would be to look at it like the following:"It's only 5 weeks of intense hard work and then rest of the summer you can do anything you wish". Don't leave it till too late because then you'll be really stressed out and won't be able to revise as effectively. Start by doing small amounts of work. Lets say 2 hrs a day that its 14 hrs a week. Then build this up to 5 hrs a day that's 35 hrs a week. Build yourself up in confidence and by the 3rd week you will be zoning yourself into a study mind-frame so eventually with breaks you can study for even longer time. But remember! Quality over quantity! You will not know what works for you best until you just put your head down and study. That way you may find different things work for you and not for other people. 5 weeks is more than enough time if you use it.

Be positive. I'm sure you'll be fine.

BW :smile:

Phoenix
Reply 2
Original post by Gold Phoenix
Hey,

I think everyone has those moments where they cannot revise and end up leaving till too late. My best advice would be to look at it like the following:"It's only 5 weeks of intense hard work and then rest of the summer you can do anything you wish". Don't leave it till too late because then you'll be really stressed out and won't be able to revise as effectively. Start by doing small amounts of work. Lets say 2 hrs a day that its 14 hrs a week. Then build this up to 5 hrs a day that's 35 hrs a week. Build yourself up in confidence and by the 3rd week you will be zoning yourself into a study mind-frame so eventually with breaks you can study for even longer time. But remember! Quality over quantity! You will not know what works for you best until you just put your head down and study. That way you may find different things work for you and not for other people. 5 weeks is more than enough time if you use it.

Be positive. I'm sure you'll be fine.

BW :smile:

Phoenix

you are a virtuous person
Original post by eeeeeh
you are a virtuous person

Hey, no probs

All the best. :-)
Reply 4
Original post by eeeeeh

Hey! As someone in that position until really really recently (like 2 days ago), I had to slowly ease myself into it by saying like "Right if I just read through my notes and ighlihght stuff and leave it for today then that's better than nothing" and, usually, I end up actually making notes on the notes I already have and actually properly revising the topic.

Another thing I am currently doing is easing myself in by practising mocks of the smaller/easier exams (such as my music aural perception exam, it's the only one where I don't have to have a lot of pre-learnt information and don't have to write an essay in!) and then seeing how I feel from there. This helps because a little confidence boost makes you feel a lot better.

Also with my love of organising things and making things look nice I started to ease myself into it by organising all my notes into certain topics/questions so that I could get them easily when I come to "proper" revision, but even this helps when you're in such a revision rut, as you're coming across topics and certain ideas you need to know.

I think I just started with the most passive task (reading) and only starting proper revision when I feel up to it. I am sure you wont let yoruself fail. I was sure I was going to do awfully untill I got into the swing of it just yesterday, now I'm on a rooooollll!

good luck!
Reply 5
There's a chapter in a free eBook that might help you. The chapter is "How to increase motivation and tackle procrastination" and the book is called "You too can study more easily: tips for dummies and others"

You can download it via www.keweipress.com by clicking on the link. It really is free.

Hope it helps.

Quick Reply

Latest