The Student Room Group

going on holiday before crucial AS what the hell?

Yeah im going on holiday to thailand for 2 weeks, how should I revise as well as enjoy my time - i have c1, c2, s1, geography unit 1 and 2, biology, chemistry and general studies.

Is it still possible? :eek:
Reply 1
Original post by cyberphilic_9999
Yeah im going on holiday to thailand for 2 weeks, how should I revise as well as enjoy my time - i have c1, c2, s1, geography unit 1 and 2, biology, chemistry and general studies.

Is it still possible? :eek:
If you bring your revision with you and only go out on certain days then yes, but you have to be strict with yourself, balance fun and work, or don't go at all
Revise when travelling is my number one tip! And the person above me was right - if you just balance what you do and make sure not to do too much play and not enough work it should be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same exams as me!!

Create a time table for when you are there
Like revise in the mornings and evening, but go out during the day???

Make sure you have covered the basics I.e. made all the notes and just do recap and questions
Good luck :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ok thanks guys, and also how much do revise in exam leave? i have loads of gaps
Original post by cyberphilic_9999
ok thanks guys, and also how much do revise in exam leave? i have loads of gaps

Just as much so you can answer questions confidently without looking at your notes (and get them right)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Don't panic, you still have a fair amount of time before your exams. Just make sure you make the most of every hour left - revise solidly, do lots of past papers and practice questions (particularly for maths) rather than just reading a revision guide. Make 'active' revision notes (e.g. quiz cards) to test you on your knowledge (particularly for subjects like goegraphy, biology, chemistry). Do a couple of past papers for general studies just so you are familiar with the layout of the paper - one of my friends didn't do that last year and ended up answering all of the questions in the 'answer just one of the following questions' section. Don't bother reading the general studies revision guide/ textbook if, like me, your parents thought you really ought to own a copy - there's absolutely nothing in it. If you really want a good grade in general studies, just do a couple of past papers and watch the news in the evening rather than your usual TV shows (you can catch up on them all after exams!).
Past papers really are key. Also remember to write up revision notes for all your subjects and revision quiz cards, use these to revise on the bus/ in the few minutes between lessons/ when ever you have a small amount of free time but not enough to do a past paper or a textbook exercise. Make sure you do all the past papers within the time limit, without revision notes, and then go through the mark schemes thoroughly afterwards - make sure you aren't generous with your marking, you'll regret it in the exam! Use the past papers to identify areas where you struggle, and do textbook questions to work specifically on these areas. Also, use the markschemes to create model answers to topics frequently occurring in the papers - I found this particularly useful for chemistry.
Create a detailed revision plan and stick to it. Personally, I allocated 2-3 hours a day after college, and 5-6 hours a day at the weekends for revision, and planned exactly which subjects to do in this time. I used a great iPod/ iPhone app called 'MySAQ (or maybe it was SQA, not sure...) Study Plan' to create this revision plan, although I modified some of it slightly to allow me more time to do past papers closer to the exams. I usually allocated 2 hours at a time per subject. I have also included 30 minute revision breaks, and give myself fridays off.
(edited 11 years ago)
AS is a dangerous year, people always underestimate how much revision they need to do. Its essentially the first year you have to actually study rather than casually turn up.
Reply 8
You don't need to revise for general studies either, just make sure you're up to date with the current affairs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending