The Student Room Group

Meeting new people in London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by playingcards
I think that’s right. The way to get over that weirdness is just throw open an arbitrary event.

For example, say: “I am getting relatively lonely in London and would like to meet new people. Anyone who feels the same, meet outside the Natural History Museum at midday on xx April and we’ll go and look at dinosaurs. I will wear a fluffy pink hat so you recognise me.”
It could be awkward if one person turns up. Similarly if 50 people turn up. But maybe 10 people turn up, and everyone chats and goes to the pub afterwards, and maybe a few friendships are formed. Who knows?!

I'll be happy to attend a meet up if you both are? :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by queen-bee
Haha,girl anyone can dance,as long as you don't have two left feet :wink: I'd love to take a baking class.I'm more into making sweet things like cakes and cookies.

We should find a baking class to go to together :smile:. I love making sweet things like cakes and cookies, much better than making savoury things :tongue:.
Original post by Anonymous
I'll be happy to attend a meet up if you both are? :smile:

I think so.

How about this: anyone who would also like to join in a befriending event in Central London on 20 April, send me a quick PM. If there’s any demand, I’ll mail you all back to arrange a public meeting point and we’ll go from there. Just for information, I think everyone so far is aged around 20 to 23.
Original post by playingcards
I think so.

How about this: anyone who would also like to join in a befriending event in Central London on 20 April, send me a quick PM. If there’s any demand, I’ll mail you all back to arrange a public meeting point and we’ll go from there. Just for information, I think everyone so far is aged around 20 to 23.

Ok, I'll message you now just posting here to show interest
We should find a baking class to go to together :smile:. I love making sweet things like cakes and cookies, much better than making savoury things :tongue:.

That would be a good idea.I'm usually free when I'm not in the lab doing stuff.PM and I'll let you know.
Reply 65
I moved to London 3 years ago and I completely understand what do you feel! I have some nice people at work but mostly they have their own social groups. At uni...it happened that people I usually talk are: pregnant / married / with children / or Muslim who don't go out because that's the way they were brought up ( don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them! Just stating the facts...)
SO i don't mind meeting you guys! That's good idea to organize TSR London meet up! :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Anna-M
I moved to London 3 years ago and I completely understand what do you feel! I have some nice people at work but mostly they have their own social groups. At uni...it happened that people I usually talk are: pregnant / married / with children / or Muslim who don't go out because that's the way they were brought up ( don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them! Just stating the facts...)
SO i don't mind meeting you guys! That's good idea to organize TSR London meet up! :smile:

Definitely, we should meet up :smile:. PM Playing Cards, I have. If we have interest we will do something. Also, I'm always free for drinks throughout the week or just meeting up to go to a museum/explore London :smile:.
Reply 67
I'm usually working on weekends but I free mostly evenings / afternoon during the week :smile: I will PM and we will see!
Definitely, we should meet up :smile:. PM Playing Cards, I have. If we have interest we will do something. Also, I'm always free for drinks throughout the week or just meeting up to go to a museum/explore London :smile:.

Just to reiterate this, five people have been in contact already. Anyone else should feel free. =)
Reply 69
Where do you usually go out during the weekends? I'd love to :smile:.

we usually hit the pubs around brick lane, the gritty places in shoreditch etc
so not far from you i would guess,
we love networking and making new friends, come join us sometime haha, ill leave it to you to pm me, ill add you to our social circle somehow,
see, its not that hard : )
and there was you worrying!!
Reply 70
in fact yeah! lets do a TSR meetup on this thread!
interesting to see this thread.

I've been in London for about 8 years now but I still face the same problems ... making friends etc. It's very difficult in London to create social circles for yourself, definitely challenging. I have always felt very lonely here. I'd be up for meeting people off here potentially.
Reply 72
Original post by bored.i.am
interesting to see this thread.

I've been in London for about 8 years now but I still face the same problems ... making friends etc. It's very difficult in London to create social circles for yourself, definitely challenging. I have always felt very lonely here. I'd be up for meeting people off here potentially.

I found it really weird. Before I moved here, I always imagine that London will be the place where you make new friends every day... And the reality? My neighbors don't even bother to say hello... lol.. and when you say something to strangers they give you this kid of 'what do you want!?' and 'leave me alone' looks!
Original post by Anna-M
I found it really weird. Before I moved here, I always imagine that London will be the place where you make new friends every day... And the reality? My neighbors don't even bother to say hello... lol.. and when you say something to strangers they give you this kid of 'what do you want!?' and 'leave me alone' looks!

Lol, I still find it funny when commuting on the tube and the instant someone speaks, even if they're talking to a friend, everyone else looks up and stares, as if puzzled at seeing people actually talking to each other.
What I've found with London is that because it's so big, so vast, so varied and full of all types of people .. it's very hard to slot in if you're not originally from London and been brought up here. I was born here but didn't move back until about 14 years of age. Despite going school and college here it was still difficult meeting likeminded friends here. But I want to stay here because there's so much to do and so much more career opportunity. I also like the anonymity of it.
Reply 75
I guess it's a very conservative culture, you have to know one to talk to them in public
But it doesn't have to be that way, I go up and meet people on the street all the time, and if you're nice and don't appear weird they always are nice, and usually impressed you had the balls to say hi
Usually people make friends through the nightlife here but it works to just approach people on the street
Lets form a new social circle In this thread! I say lets meet up next week! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are we supposed to meet you if you're anonymous?

London can be very lonely sometimes, particularly going to uni there. I would have thought work would be different though?
I understand where you're coming from OP. I work in Canary Wharf OP, if you fancy a drink after work pm me :smile:
Hi, fellow Londoner here :smile:
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Hi, fellow Londoner here :smile:

Hey! Whereabouts in London are you from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending